Lapping Tips

Black Box

Limp Gawd
Anyone have any links or lapping techniques? (the search is borked) Thanks in advance.

do your lapping on a perfectly flat surface (i used a mirror).

wet your sandpaper and use a tiny amount of dish soap (for lubrication). i used 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 grit sandpaper, each for about 10 minutes (best place to find them is in auto parts stores, napa, pep boys etc). either do figure 8s or back forth with 90 degree rotation of the sink every 10 reps or so. dont put pressure on the hs, just let it slide.

clean it thoroughly with isopropyl alchohol (70% or up) afterwards, good luck!

I did 600grit to 1000grit. Because I'm lazy. Originally, the finish was very blurry and not existent to anything unless it was RIGHT in front of it. After I was done. I can see myself in it from across the room. I'm quite proud of myself for a first time lapping job. Now I just need to go get a lap ... *dragged out of thread*

I used the kitchen table because it's made out of glass, therefore it is flat.

So in closing, listen to ^^^ his suggestions. Similiar suggestions helped me. I'd also check out overclockers.com, I don't know the exact area, but they have a complete How-To on lapping. Definately worth a look-see.

This link has a pretty good how to.

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/articles/sk6_lapping/index.shtml

I used all the way from 600 through 3000 grit paper. If I had known that the thing was already flat, I probably would have started with 1000 grit. I bought a 1/4" piece of glass for $5 from a glass shop as I didn't have anything else. It may not be necessary to go for 10 mins on each grit. You can tell when the scratches from the previous paper are smoothed out. Some people polish it with metal polish afterwards. I didn't think it was necessary with the 3000 grit and I didn't want to figure out which polish wouldn't react with the copper or worry about cleaning it from all the nooks and crannies. It was actually a lot more simple than I thought it would be.

i like to buy 800, 1000, 1200 grit papers, and some copper polish (meant for pans, etc).

I start with the copper polish until the surface is smooth. Not flat yet, but smooth.

Then I use the 800 to flatten it out a bit, once its flat, I move to 1000, then 1200 grit papers. This yields a very nice finish.

If your really picky, go to a telecom supply store and get a fiber optic cable finishing kit. These should have papers down to 4 microns, but unless you lap your heatspreader or core you put it on, and have paste that is made within 4 microns or less, it's not worth the effort.

Back