Lapping an Accelero S1 Rev 2?

Lt.Col.Dehler

Limp Gawd
has anybody ever done this? I just got back a brand new 3870 because i had to rma my old card because it has a chipped GPU, and when i took a look at my accelero there are little nicks where each corner of the gpu were and i would like the sand those out just for safe measures.
So how do you lap? get a flat surface and start with like a 200 grit? then move up to higher grits? the highest i have now is 1000, ive checked lowes, hope depot, autozone and advanced auto parts and theres nothing higher than that. so would i be ok stoping at 1000? maybe some steel wool after that?

Body repair sections of auto shops should have grits up to at least 2000. You can also get polishing compounds and grits from shops that specialize in metal working. That can take you into micron-sized grits. Even wood-working specialty shops will have some of those ultra-fine grits for sharpening chisels and planes.

ok thanks, my parents just went out looking for it because my dad needs it for the car we're building to shine up some metal.
so i should start at a low grid then work up?

well i got around to lapping it 2day. turned out really good and smooth. i first started out with 600 grit becase it was already smooth, soaked the paper, then put dish washing soap on it, then sanded about 100 strokes, turned 90 degrees, 100 more and so on until i made a complete rotation. then moved up to 800 then 1000 then 1500 then 2000 and my product turned out really good. super shiny i could see my reflection in it.

but the bad thing is i bought new thermaltake copper ramsinks since i couldnt find thermal tape for my old ones i applied the ramsinks and im not taking them off because if i go to re-apply them they wil not stick. but the problem is that i have lost all but 1 of the screws for the accelero, the stock ones are too short. So im going to have to find some more maybe at lowes.

Back