lapped my x2 4200+

losboricua

n00b
I lapped my 4200+(taking that the heatsink plate off the cpu) and reseated my thermalright heatsink with som AS5 paste and now im getting worst temp. at idle it would run at 34-36 and now it is runnin at 38-40(well with just mozilla open and AIM) i try to reseat the heatsink and everything and no change. any suggestion.

Are you sure you did it right? Is it in the right direction? Is the fan running at the same RPM?

If so, maybe take it out and get the directions and pretend it's your first time and do it right by the book. I usually use that method and it solves stuff because sometimes when i've done stuff for a while I cut corners without knowning it.

yes i have double checked everything. i just ran prime95 and did a burn test. CPU temp went up to 48 and coretemp average about 53. that was running the harsh cpu high energy consumption. should i be blowing down into the heatsink or sucking from the heatsink. the cpu fan is straight wire so it only has one speed

Hmmm. Well on my fan it is either facing up or down. Right now I have the fan on the bottom and that sucks it up to the top. I think that's the better way in my case because hot air rises and cold air sinks so i'm sucking the cold air from the bottom of the case and it's replacing the hot air at the top and it's just one big cycle.

Does your fan face up and down or left to right OR is it just hooked on top of it so if you have the computer on it's side and you're looking down on it you can see the actual fins.

right to left. i have it blowin to the right. aka to the cpu. i try making it suck from the cpu to the let and notice a 2* increase before. is there any guide about properly installing a heatsink. i have been doing this for years but maybe i have forgotten something.

Is it going against airflow?

Are your RPM's the same? Voltages the same?

I know in my case I have 2 fans in the front pulling air in and one fan in the back pushing it out.

Then I have a fan on the left of the case pulling it in.

I then have a fan on the top of the case pulling it out.

And finally my CPU pulls the air up to the top fan that's pulling it out.

What i'm getting at is don't have a fan in the front pulling it in then have your CPU fan pushing air right back at your air in the front.

Leet Airflow Drawing: http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=computerairflowkx1.png

Notice how my fans work together and I have 2 fans blowing back and that air passes through the cpu plus that one fan on the side blows towards the CPU.

The side panel fan is probably less then an inch away, i'm not sure if that's good or bad but it's a close fit.

What i'm trying to say is just check your fans and see that they're all working together.

P.S. If anyone takes my drawing i'll sue your ass :D

i got a 120mm fan in the front blowing across my harddrive and across the motherboard to the back. i have to 80mm fan's in the back of the case blowing the hot air out. I got a 92mm fan on my heatsink. i have a 80mm fan on top of my case but after my old ps die over a year ago and when i got the new p/s it was a lil bigger so the fan in the top of the case was on the way so i just too it off. I havents changed any of my fans nor their setting. all i did was lapped it. now after installing cool n quiet, it runs at 33-34 in both the cpu temp and core temp. but i use to get those number with out the cool and quiet installed

Was your cpu concave before?

Did you check?

Is the cpu heatspreader flat now?

Is the base of the HSF flat or is it slightly convex?

You may have to lap the HSF flat.

If you OC don't use C and Q.

I also heard it's good to have your big fan as exhaust. But Since you said you didn't change any fans then that's probably not the issue.

Use Asus PC Probe and see if your fans are all running at the right RPM's.

I lapped my 4200+(taking that the heatsink plate off the cpu) and reseated my thermalright heatsink with som AS5 paste and now im getting worst temp. at idle it would run at 34-36 and now it is runnin at 38-40(well with just mozilla open and AIM) i try to reseat the heatsink and everything and no change. any suggestion.

What?

er yeah.

that's not lapping.

that's ihs removal.

And now you have bad heatsink to nakedcore contact, and higher temps.

which is why you need to file the bracket.

don't crush the core.

i moved the brackter down and got a better connection and block sanded my heatsink and still gettin higher temps and it is good contact

There is no possible way that if you have good contact with the IHS removed that the temps are gonna be higher than with it in place.

I removed the IHS on my Opty 175 and dropped the temps about 15c and brought the seperate core temps from 8-9c difference down to 3-4c difference.

Are you running a tower case? If so, set it on its side and see if that helps. I am betting that whatever mounting system your heatsink has isn't near tight enough with the IHS removed.

clean the HS with some rubbing alcohol really good, let it dry, and get it tightened down on the naked core. If its a M type clamp can't you just bend it a touch to make it tighter (i'm not familiar withthe XP90C HS, almost bought one but found one lighter and cheaper from gigabyte)

Those temps need some work for sure, my cpu hasn't been cut open, running stock volts @ 2.64GHz, idle around 29-32, and loading right now with 2 winrar compressions (100% cpu load) going on @ 44* this is reported with Asus Probe II. Core temp usually adds a degree or 3, lol. Oh and to top it off its just the high performance white paste, no AS5.

im going to tip my tower on it side. i dont know what the clap but it 4 clips that one in each corners. i did my friends first(opti 175) and saw that he had 11*c drop while playin WOW so i decided to do mine and those are the numbers. and im not too happy. My friend HS is also a bolt down. i have try to get it reseated so many times and had to modify the bracket like 3 times. do u guys think this HS would be better??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103026

That Cooler Master heatsink does look nice. Although from the reviews I saw on it, it isn't a real good performer.

Personally I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon with an upgraded fan (from a Big Typhoon VX). The VX model has a horrid mounting system compared to the regular Big Typhoon.

Back