Lap my CPU?

Silent Assasin

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2004
Messages
1,120
Ok, well no matter if I'm water cooling it or air cooling it, I just can't get the temp below 39*C. I know that it should be able to go lower considering the ambient temp right now is about 20*C, it's fricken cold in my basement right now. I can tell that there is a couple of defenant low points on the heatspreader of the CPU. I've also lapped my heatsink/waterblock. My only other choice is to to the CPU if you would recomend it... That temp is with a stock AMD 64 3200+ with NewCastle core via socket 754. That temp just seems to high to me....

So would I lap my CPU as I did with my heatsink and waterblock? Or should I use some other method. With the blocks, I just used 800 grit wet/dry. Then moved to 1200, then to 2000, then to "Mirror finish" it didn't say what grit, but worked fantasticly.
 
Personally I don't see 39C as a problem, even with water cooling. Could it be that your Mainboard doesn't read CPU temps below 39C? Some have a limit to just how low the readings will go, even if they're cooler.
 
On first thought I'd say remove the ihs, but thats risky and nerve killing.

Lapping the top of the ihs wouldnt do much becuase the paste inbetween the ihs and the core is crrrrrrrap.
 
Silent Assasin said:
Ok, well no matter if I'm water cooling it or air cooling it, I just can't get the temp below 39*C. I know that it should be able to go lower considering the ambient temp right now is about 20*C, it's fricken cold in my basement right now. I can tell that there is a couple of defenant low points on the heatspreader of the CPU. I've also lapped my heatsink/waterblock. My only other choice is to to the CPU if you would recomend it... That temp is with a stock AMD 64 3200+ with NewCastle core via socket 754. That temp just seems to high to me....

So would I lap my CPU as I did with my heatsink and waterblock? Or should I use some other method. With the blocks, I just used 800 grit wet/dry. Then moved to 1200, then to 2000, then to "Mirror finish" it didn't say what grit, but worked fantasticly.

idle ?
still Id question the thermal sensor before lapping, check the net for posts regarding your board
perhaps a bios update ?

D
 
Well the temp does go below 39. I did see it at 23*C this winter at a lan party. I put it outside in 4*F temp and then turned it on just to see how low it would go.... I should also mention, that when my x800Pro is on the same water loop, my GPU idles around 29/30*C, and that's after the CPU.... I've already done a few google searches on my board, it's a Chaintech VNF3-250 btw.... I haven't heard of anyone else having this high of temps. I understand that's it's not dangerous to idle that high, but from what I know and have been reading recently, it's just not right.... I've been using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste as well...

So has anyone here actually removed the ihs? Like someone said, it would be pretty nerve racking, but it might be cool.... I paid $200 for this thing almost a year and a half ago, and I'd like it to not have to pay another $200.... I'm gunna do some googling on removing it, but I think I'd feel better if I didn't.....
 
Yea, there's several posts here on "Uncapping an AMD64". I just don't have time to find them for you right now. I've seen people here do it successfully, just don't have the nerve nor the inclination to do it myself, to my FX chip.
 
Silent Assasin said:
Well the temp does go below 39. I did see it at 23*C this winter at a lan party. I put it outside in 4*F temp and then turned it on just to see how low it would go.... I should also mention, that when my x800Pro is on the same water loop, my GPU idles around 29/30*C, and that's after the CPU.... I've already done a few google searches on my board, it's a Chaintech VNF3-250 btw.... I haven't heard of anyone else having this high of temps. I understand that's it's not dangerous to idle that high, but from what I know and have been reading recently, it's just not right.... I've been using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste as well...

So has anyone here actually removed the ihs? Like someone said, it would be pretty nerve racking, but it might be cool.... I paid $200 for this thing almost a year and a half ago, and I'd like it to not have to pay another $200.... I'm gunna do some googling on removing it, but I think I'd feel better if I didn't.....

honestly Id lap it before removing the ihs, its a risky thing to do, even if successful you still run the risk of damaging the core durring installs/uninstalls

D
 
I have experience with IHS removal, it isn't so bad at all. And i really don't think it's so dangerous so long as you take your time. Get a really thin razor blade, tape it off so that you only have like 3/4 cm of the blade to work with. Work that into a corner of the IHS and go around it a few times, dont pry, eventually it just come off.
 
here is my 3700+ after i removed the ihs.
cpu5.JPG


cpu2.JPG


its a fairly easy process.
 
On water, that's too high, but personally I doubt that the IHS is to blame. You could always peel it off, because lapping it will void your warranty just as bad, so you might as well go all the way.

Does it rise another 15-20C under load? Maybe you just have a flaky temp sensor even though not many others do. Either way, it's not a big deal because 50-55 under load is still plenty fine and not dangerous.

Is your vCore @ stock settings, or bumped up? A little voltage creates a lot of heat and a manual setting .05 higher than stock would probably raise your temps roughly 4 degrees or so.
 
superkdogg said:
On water, that's too high, but personally I doubt that the IHS is to blame. You could always peel it off, because lapping it will void your warranty just as bad, so you might as well go all the way.

Does it rise another 15-20C under load? Maybe you just have a flaky temp sensor even though not many others do. Either way, it's not a big deal because 50-55 under load is still plenty fine and not dangerous.

Is your vCore @ stock settings, or bumped up? A little voltage creates a lot of heat and a manual setting .05 higher than stock would probably raise your temps roughly 4 degrees or so.

Those temps are with stock volts and clockspeeds.... With air cooling, it rises about 15-20*C under load. Maxes out around 71/72*C....

I think when I rebuild my computer into my new case, I'll first try just lapping the ihs, and if that doesn't help much at all I'll completely pull the ihs.... I did find something interesting over at overclockers.com though.... Someone was talking about how after he pulled the ihs off, his waterblock hit the cam making it uneven accross the core. He ended up just taking some 220 wet and dry paper until he was able to slide a piece of paper between the cam and the water block.... Has anyone else had this problem? I'm going to be using the DD TDX block which looks like the copper block will hit the cam if the ihs really does remove that much spacing....
 
Silent Assasin said:
Those temps are with stock volts and clockspeeds.... With air cooling, it rises about 15-20*C under load. Maxes out around 71/72*C....

I think when I rebuild my computer into my new case, I'll first try just lapping the ihs, and if that doesn't help much at all I'll completely pull the ihs.... I did find something interesting over at overclockers.com though.... Someone was talking about how after he pulled the ihs off, his waterblock hit the cam making it uneven accross the core. He ended up just taking some 220 wet and dry paper until he was able to slide a piece of paper between the cam and the water block.... Has anyone else had this problem? I'm going to be using the DD TDX block which looks like the copper block will hit the cam if the ihs really does remove that much spacing....

Yikes! I've never seen 70 on mine and I have it running 2.7 @ 1.55 vC on the stock cooler! I've never seen 60 for that matter. I have to punt because your results are so different that mine my mind is blown. Maybe there's bubble gum under your IHS or something.

Seriously though, I would look first at your block mounting and see if maybe there isn't a contact issue there. There's no way that your stock cooler should work as good or better than the H2O. If temps go up with water cooling something's not right (unless you build your own CPU waterblock, but that's another story).
 
Silent Assasin said:
Those temps are with stock volts and clockspeeds.... With air cooling, it rises about 15-20*C under load. Maxes out around 71/72*C....

I think when I rebuild my computer into my new case, I'll first try just lapping the ihs, and if that doesn't help much at all I'll completely pull the ihs.... I did find something interesting over at overclockers.com though.... Someone was talking about how after he pulled the ihs off, his waterblock hit the cam making it uneven accross the core. He ended up just taking some 220 wet and dry paper until he was able to slide a piece of paper between the cam and the water block.... Has anyone else had this problem? I'm going to be using the DD TDX block which looks like the copper block will hit the cam if the ihs really does remove that much spacing....

I have know about TDX, but i have a Storm G4. I removed the spacer cylinders from the mounting kit, and just pressed the block straight down onto the naked core, tightened each side alternating every few turns. For me, the secret was to make it VERY tight... gave me great temps.
 
Man, I keep forgetting some small detail out of my post..... My core will jump to 70* max under load, but when I'm on the water cooling, I haven't seen it higher then 54*C....
 
Yikes is right! Seeing 71-72C loaded would scare me. Are you sure this wasn't a type-o? The 3200+, regardless of build type, has a threshold temp of either 69C or 70C and you should NEVER see temps that high, unless something is very wrong. Even my FX-53 built with the 130nm process only gets as high as 55C loaded and that's air cooled. The 130nm cores are known to get hotter than the 90nm cores but 70C+ loaded is BAD with either process.

[EDIT] OK, 54C sounds more reasonable and I too mess up and forget things in posts so don't feel you're alone. Are you OCing when you get temps of 70C? Still sounds pretty darned high and even 54C water cooled seems a bit high for your CPU, since mine averages that with air cooling and it's an AMD64 FX-53 that's OCed to 2.6GHz.
 
Silent Assasin said:
Man, I keep forgetting some small detail out of my post..... My core will jump to 70* max under load, but when I'm on the water cooling, I haven't seen it higher then 54*C....

There's still something fishy because if my air cooled, OC'd cpu is about like your stock, water cooled one that doesn't add up. Do you have another way to check temps besides your mobo's sensor?
 
Back
Top