Lanbox (Lite) PSU Cage Fan Mod

i8088

Weaksauce
Decided to hack away at the lanbox yesterday, as cases internal temperatures were approaching 48-50C. Im no expert when it comes to metal work or any other type of hand tool applications but I was confident enough to dremel mod the PSU plate so that a 80mm can exhaust the gfx card region more efficiently. It seemed before with my 7950GT the system was able to cope with the heat generated, but with the 8800GT the ambient case temp kept on rising.

(still need to clean up the rough ends but hidden with cover on)

Case Temp after several hours of gaming // 8800GT temp 29% Fan // 8800GT temp 45% Fan

Before Mod

50C // 90C // 84C

After Mod

39C // 78C // 72C

Oh shit, I was just thinking about doing this to my Lanbox Lite. I'm glad someone did this before me. Thanks and B.A.

it seems this box is too hot for its own good, any links to directions on what you did with the 80 on top center and how does the air flow work with the top of the case on, i was considering throwing a 120 in the top middle like you did with the 80 but im not sure how best to go about it or if it would fit.

currently i'm considering just throwing 2 120's on the sides (maby even outside) and calling it a day.

Also what temp monitor or w/e did you use for your top 5.25 slot and how did it work out for ya

I saw the vid you posted on your LCD set up, the 5.25 set up your using looks good but how did the temp monitoring work out for you.

Could you also maby list some of the other things you considered in keeping your case cool. Any help or suggestions would help

thanks

Well 4 sticks of ballistix tracers put out tons of heat. Thermal probe read the temp between the memory sticks around 60-65C before any fans were added. Not sure if its only the tracers but they really do get hot, but they heated the same even in my full tower case so its not so much to do with the lanbox. The fan over the ram sticks is supported by a bracket that came with the psu, probably to mount it to certain cases, but it fit a thin 80x15 fan. Problem with this case is the lack of moving air near the gfx/chipset region since I'm using the extra HD cage for my 2 raptors the 90mm fan isnt enough to move fresh air deep in the case. I might try replacing the front panel with 2x80mm or 2x90mm if they could fit.

As for directions, I just wing'ed it and started cutting. I drew an outline with a lead pencil and sorted out where to make the holes for the fan screws, then started hacking away. Slipped once or twice with the dremel but nothing disastrous. The case's cover does not really impede the air flow too much, atm it is sucking out to get rid of the GFX card exhaust that was heating up the case but i might try turning it around and see if it helps. My guess was it was better to remove the hot air then force it into the case toward the memory / cpu region. I was going for a H2O setup but wanted to try this before to see how dramatic of an effect it had on temps. I also added a tiny fan to the chipset heatsink, sink temp was approaching 58C before, 45-50 now.

Back