LAN Setup for Windows XP using a Router

Kwak

n00b
Hi all,

Really need your expertise in setting a LAN for 12 computers.
The main desktop (#1) has XP Pro and will have server programs.
The notebook has XP Home and will also use server programs.
The 10 desktops all have XP Home and use client programs.

Using a Linksys 8-port router.
All the computer is under the same Workgroup and can see each other in Networks.
Only using Windows Firewall and added the necessary programs to the 'Exceptions' tab.

Ordering a 8-port switch to add the other pc to the network. Was told that I can't use the Linksys 4-port wireless router in addition to the 8-port router.

Now the question is: how do I setup a LAN so that the 8 computers can see each other in games like Counter-Strike? One PC creates a new game. But the rest of the PC can now see the new game under LAN. I've added Counter-Strike under the Windows Firewall exception.

Thank you in advance. I'll check this thread like every minute. :D

edit: i'm an idiot.

just plug em all together, it will be fine. You'd be better off pickin up a 24 port switch, they can be had fairly cheap.

Firewalls on servers will drive you nuts for lan parties.. my suggestion is just to disable them on the server pc's and re-enable them after the party

Yeah disabling firewalls altogether is a good idea for lack of headaches, maybe be cautious if your LAN is hooked up to the internet though.

If it's not I would just go with a 16 port or an 24 port switch, no need for a router if you're not going online.

All the computers will have access to both the internet and the LAN so I left the Windows firewall on while adding the program in the Exceptions tab.
I believe the Linksys router includes some sort of a firewall protection.

Going with a 16-port switch to use along with the 8-port router.

If you know of a simple LAN setup site (getting Counter-Strike games to see each other), link me. Thanks

If you know of a simple LAN setup site (getting Counter-Strike games to see each other), link me. Thanks

Don't really need a guide. Router runs DHCP, every PC behind the router will get a 192.168.1.xxx address. Uplink a switch to the router..plug all PCs into the switch. Fire up your game server...disable any software firewalls, clients do a search for a server on the LAN..done. No need to setup microsoft networking for a game....has nothing to do with netbios names or file share/access.

thanks for the info. picking up the 24 port switch at bestbuy. the windows firewall remain enabled but only the 3rd party firewall software?
would I need (now or future) a crossover cable?

There isn't a need for crossover cables since most routers/switches/hubs are autosensing. Crossover cables are genearlly used for just hooking up two computers together.

Back