lan port loop back test?

leeroy

Gawd
is there any software to test the on board or pci lan port? rj45 connector? like if it has intermiittent fault or something.

what type of errors can we get with a faulty lan port? i prefer software based but from reaerach it lokos like i need some actual external hardware lop back connector dont i to obtain an accurate reading ..

To see if it is physically working, you could always use a known working port on your network and run a continuous ping to the IP of the nic. If you start to see drops, or the NIC doesn't get hot it could be signs of a faulty NIC.

If you have it enabled, and the correct software drivers are configured for it, see if you can ping the loopback address (disable all over network interfaces on the machine, except for the one in question).

Other then that a fluke would be your best option.

yah, ping <host> -t

I'd also suggest the -l switch and a 16k packet.

k thx

wat can i ping? my router, can i do yahoo or google or sth or i would get accused of hacking?

You want to test your network card, so I'd ping the next device on your LAN (the router).

Normally speaking you wont get accused of hacking or launching a DOS attack, but you want to have as much control over the network as possible, and you only have control over 2, perhaps 3 devices (your 'puter, your router, and perhaps your cablemodem/dsl modem).

ic coz i started to ping google continusouly but then i forgot about it and as i came back to my pc i was like shit shit pressing ctrl + break , ctrl + c. lol

leeroy said:
ic coz i started to ping google continusouly but then i forgot about it and as i came back to my pc i was like shit shit pressing ctrl + break , ctrl + c. lol

You can ping something continuously without it being seen as an attack. If the packet sized changed from 32 to say 40000000 then you might get accused of denial of service. :)

k thx

whats the avg ms response should be?
think i was getting 255 ttl (2ms) to my router
and 249 ttl (17ms) to yahoo co uk

leeroy said:
k thx

whats the avg ms response should be?
think i was getting 255 ttl (2ms) to my router
and 249 ttl (17ms) to yahoo co uk

Not bad at all usually to the next hop in front of you especially a router no more then 15 feet away it should be roughly 1ms.

Back