LAN Party + Wireless Bridge + Switch = Need Help

Brules

Gawd
Hope I can get some advice here......

I am trying to start a local LAN party and the local facility I am hoping to use only has wireless internet available to use. So my plan is to purchase a wireless bridge and use it to share out the wireless via DHCP. The bridge would in turn be hooked up to a switch.

My question is, is a 10/100 switch adequate for my purposes? I found a like new 3com 3C17302 locally on craigs list for $30 - and I dont think I can pass it up! So I am asking here is this would work?

At my old LAN I helped run we went up to a 10/100/1000 switch - but we had a major backbone and the funds to buy it.....since this is out of pocket - I am self funding till I get it going.

Also any advice on a wireless bridge that would work that I could get locally at a best buy or new egg would be greatly appreciated. I know PC hardware, but am not the best when it comes to networking etc. :)

I doubt that their internet connection would be saturated by the transfer limit of a 10/100 switch; you should be fine.

What is the max up/down of their internet?

However, wireless internet for a LAN is a bad idea because of lag. Screw wireless. Screw DSL.

Well at this point it is all that is available.....it is a local library meeting room, and it is free, has good tables and chairs and its free. :)

I am going to take my laptop up and see what the up down is today or tomorrow and do some tests. I am HOPING that there is a hard connection in the room left over from their pre-wireless days that I can tap into.....

But essentially its free and I need a nice, convenient place to start up at so I can get it rolling. After 2-6 months I would hope to find a new location with better connection.

Thanks for the quick reply!

This may be a stupid question. However, isn't this a LAN party?

All you would need a connection for would be maybe authenticating through steam right? The rest is done all on that 10/100 switch.

If I'm missing something just ignore this comment.

No, you are correct - but sometimes at LAN's it is nice to hop on the net to snag say a patch, or even hop on and dominate a game server for like BF3 or something. Depends on how many ppl show up - if less than 10 - then 5v5 isnt always fun. :)

Found out the connection is a segment of a 6mb T1 - so should be decent enough.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good wireless bridge I could set up to share out the connection via a switch?

Found out the connection is a segment of a 6mb T1 - so should be decent enough.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good wireless bridge I could set up to share out the connection via a switch?

ASUS RT-N16 running DDWRT as a bridge.

Is DDWRT a must? Is there no off the shelf unit that would do what I need?

Is DDWRT a must? Is there no off the shelf unit that would do what I need?

There are, but an ASUS RT-N12 or RT-N16 will be cheaper then just about any dedicated wireless bridge. I also don't know of any stock firmwares that allow for the wireless to be set to bridge mode.

Will I be able to run DHCP on the bridge unit? I would like to segment my network and just provide gateway via DHCP to my LAN clients. Is that possible?

Back