Lan party tricks?

Travisrd

n00b
Question: my friend just shutdown my computer via lan, but when i try to remote shutdown someone how do i do it? says access denied! i got pwnd HELP ME

well, you can see a lot of nice options via:

shutdown /i

which brings up a GUI for your convenience.

change the administrator account

disable the guest account

gpedit.msc ... and disable remote shutdown

stop the "messenger" service

kick your "buddies" ass for being a child.

drizzt81 said:
well, you can see a lot of nice options via:

shutdown /i

which brings up a GUI for your convenience.

yeah when i try that it says

Access is denied.
Failed: \\sauce

we had a lan party last year with 30 or so people. one of the admins at the main table wouldnt stop talking to his girlfriend on the cell phone. we told him to take it outside,so he locked his computer, and spent an hour out in the cold in his car yakking with her.

Meanwhile... one of my buddies says, "lets fuck with him". We did a hard restart, and booted up on a cd called ERD Commander, which has a wonderful program called Locksmith, which lets you change any password of any windows account effortlessly, without knowing the original pass. We changed his pass to <something obscene of course>, restarted, and locked his system.

That taught him....

One of the many reasons to practice basic security measures on your PC...especially when going to LAN parties. There's always going to be some 'tards who will try to prove to their buddies that they know a little about PCs and networking.

Leaving the Administrator account with a blank password..big no-no
Having firewall off at LAN party..big no-no
Sharing entire C partition...not bright..especially with NT based OS's. Generally not good idea to share at LAN parties anyways..if must, have read only rights.

YeOldeStonecat said:
One of the many reasons to practice basic security measures on your PC...especially when going to LAN parties. There's always going to be some 'tards who will try to prove to their buddies that they know a little about PCs and networking.

Leaving the Administrator account with a blank password..big no-no
Having firewall off at LAN party..big no-no
Sharing entire C partition...not bright..especially with NT based OS's. Generally not good idea to share at LAN parties anyways..if must, have read only rights.

well, with ERD, u dont need to know any passwords. its a nice program, but kinda dangerous in the wrong hands

*cough* childish fooos - Mr. T

r00k said:
we had a lan party last year with 30 or so people. one of the admins at the main table wouldnt stop talking to his girlfriend on the cell phone. we told him to take it outside,so he locked his computer, and spent an hour out in the cold in his car yakking with her.

Meanwhile... one of my buddies says, "lets fuck with him". We did a hard restart, and booted up on a cd called ERD Commander, which has a wonderful program called Locksmith, which lets you change any password of any windows account effortlessly, without knowing the original pass. We changed his pass to <something obscene of course>, restarted, and locked his system.

That taught him....

That kinda shit gets you instantly kicked out of lan parties where I come from. Did you ever stop to think that maybe he might have had something important running when you hard restarted? Did you ever stop to fucking think that maybe he uses windows encryption and his files are now stuck in locked land? (unless ERD Commander has some way around this. Do you know? Did you know when you did this?)
:eek:

Changing someone's wallpaper is a funny prank. Unplugging someone's monitor when they step away is a funny prank. Making major changes to someone's operating system and potentially leaving them locked out of their files is asinine!

r00k said:

That taught him....

Ah, the 3rd Immutable Law of Security in action.

And undyingshadow does have a valid point.

protias said:
well, with ERD, u dont need to know any passwords. its a nice program, but kinda dangerous in the wrong hands

*cough* childish fooos - Mr. T

Right..but remote access you can be the typical little wimp and do damage without anyone knowing. With the ERD or one of many other bootable CD's that we can list here...that bypass/reset passwords...now you're physically touching someone elses property. Power-On Password? That can be beaten too...technically you don't need someones password to smash their tower with a sledgehammer either...where does it stop? Myself, as well as many other people here, would most enjoy pounding the living snot out of someone vandalizing my/their PC..and break their hands so they didn't vandalize someone elses property anytime in the near future.

undyingshadow said:
Did you ever stop to think that maybe he might have had something important running when you hard restarted? Did you ever stop to fucking think that maybe he uses windows encryption and his files are now stuck in locked land? (unless ERD Commander has some way around this. Do you know? Did you know when you did this?)

Changing someone's wallpaper is a funny prank. Unplugging someone's monitor when they step away is a funny prank. Making major changes to someone's operating system and potentially leaving them locked out of their files is asinine!

Buddy, you need to chill out, relax. We DID know for a fact he was not running any programs at the time he locked his machine and left. When he got back we all had a good laugh while he freaked out... and then we told him the new password, which i'm sure he changed right away.

File encryption - Encrypted File System encrypts files based on your SID, which is entirely independant of your windows password. Therefore, when you change your password, all you have changed is your password, no encryption changes are made, you can still access your files.

r00k said:

That taught him....

i used to netadmin lan parties, you would have definately fealt that prank 10x worse :p

anyhow, smart admins have bios passwords too

r00k said:
File encryption - Encrypted File System encrypts files based on your SID, which is entirely independant of your windows password. Therefore, when you change your password, all you have changed is your password, no encryption changes are made, you can still access your files.

That would pretty much defeat the purpose of encrypting the files in the first place. Forcefully resetting a user's password will cause them to temporarily lose access to their encrypted files. Not as big a deal in this case, assuming the locked account was the one reset since he knows the original password to that account. But in general, EFS is not independant of a user's password.

Thanks for all the help =p
was wandering if you could tell me how to do it myself.. it was just a 6 person lan in my garage.. and i wanna pwn some noobs =p.. ive been screwd too many times.. they shutdown my pc and it pisses me off hahah ohwel

Travisrd said:
Thanks for all the help =p
was wandering if you could tell me how to do it myself.. it was just a 6 person lan in my garage.. and i wanna pwn some noobs =p.. ive been screwd too many times.. they shutdown my pc and it pisses me off hahah ohwel

ummm, ya, u may not want to do that. that could that constitute as breaking into computer systems without consent. it would piss off your friends too, and if u do that enough, u may notice that you may not have any friends any more.

my advice, dont do it and show them u are a bit more mature than these childish antics.

Back