LAN party router disconnection...

PhattyT

Limp Gawd
me and a few friends are planning to lan at his house and we have two routers that are going to hook up to each other then into our comps... but in the past when we played online, we would lag out or drop connection.... is there anyway to fix this problem? i remember reading about how you can change something to not make the connection drop... someone help us please :(

I am not quite sure of what you are doing here. Could you provide a diagram for us to look at? I am just confused about the use of two routers.

How exactly are you trying to use two routers?
What I would do is use one as a router to get out to the internet, use the other as a switch. Make sure DHCP is disabled on the router that's behaving as a switch.

How big is your friends Internet pipe? Could it be that all of you on that pipe at the same time saturated it completely? Also, any torrenting going on while this was happening? That's the fasted way to kill a SOHO router.

You should beat the dumbass who's leeching off the internet during a LAN party. It just makes it worse for all the other players.

You don't want 2x routers. That will double NAT the innermost network...separating them. Get 1x router..and 1x switch. Tell people not to download or run P2P programs. Enforce that last rule.

and if you have more then like 10 ppl and a linksys router.. ditch it.. personal experience on that one..

PhattyT said:
ohhh.. so basicly i need a switch?

Yes. You want everyone to be on the same network. This way..you can all play the same game. If you put a router behind another router (double NAT'ing)...you'll have "Network A" behind the first router...then you plug in the second router..and you'll have "Network B" behind that second router. 2x separate networks.

You want a hub..or better yet (since hubs are pretty much extinct)..a switch. They're used to connect computers to the "same" network.

Veeb0rg said:
and if you have more then like 10 ppl and a linksys router.. ditch it.. personal experience on that one..

I've seen over 25 on a Linksys...there are more variables which we don't know which would determine performance. The model, the firmware, his internet connection (important one there)...and what games they'll be playing.

But it's a LAN party..hopefully they're running their own server locally anyways.

You could use an ipcop to power a LAN party happily. You might actually see CPU usage go up for once, hehehe.

ohh... we want like 5-6 of us to be able to play online together in scrimmages and stuff without all of us laggin out the same time and stuff... and the only thing we have is two routers which would hook up all our comps to play...

PhattyT said:
ohh... we want like 5-6 of us to be able to play online together in scrimmages and stuff without all of us laggin out the same time and stuff... and the only thing we have is two routers which would hook up all our comps to play...
RavenD's explanation is what you want.

You are correct RavenD: but I decided to break it down so everyone understands. I will call the actual router, Router A, and the one that will be a switch, Router B.

1:Connect the Router A up to the internet like you always do. Be sure the IP address is 192.168.0.1 on the LAN side (usualy default) and the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 (also usualy default). Leave the DHCP server for the LAN side turned on. (1 DHCP server is allowed)

2:Set up Router B to act like a switch: (this is tricky so pay attention, repeat as necessary for all routers that need to be switches)
A: Set the IP address, Subnet and Default Gateway on the LAN side of the Router B to:
IP Address:192.168.0.X (X must be unique for all routers and computers, cannot be 0,1, or 255)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1​
B: Turn off the DHCP server for the LAN side on Router B. (Router A is the DHCP server)

C: Hook the Router B up to to Router A thru one of its LAN ports using a CROSSOVER cable. DO NOT use the Uplink/Internet/WAN port on Router B. You are NOT hooking it to the Internet!!! (You are hooking it to Router A :p)
(some newer routers may work with a straight cable if you dont happen to have a crossover, but its not a given.)

3:Hook up the computers to the remaining LAN ports on the 2 routers (with straight cables), and try to get an IP address thru DHCP. (at DOS promt: type "ipconfig /renew")

4: LAN PARTY!!! :D

OPTIONAL: If the computers fail to get an IP, try turning off DHCP everywhere (Router A and the computers) and use the following settings for the computers.

IP Address: 192.168.0.X

Most people mis-use the WAN port, and/or forget to use crossover cables for connections between routers and switches.

Note: Edited for readability and simplification.

ahhh thanks for that, i got it now ^_^
ps. noob question... but what are cross over cables?

SCSI-Terminator said:
A: Set the IP address, Subnet and Default Gateway on the LAN side of the Router B to:
IP Address:192.168.0.X (X must be unique for all routers and computers, cannot be 0,1, or 255)

You don't need the default gateway at all on router B..you're not using the WAN port..so it doens't need to know. Just as long as its LAN IP isn't the same as router A. On most routers on the LAN side...the default gateway will automatically be it's LAN own LAN IP, since they're designed to run in gateway mode.​

A crossover cable is necessary? I don't think I ever used one when I did this.

Aslander said:
A crossover cable is necessary? I don't think I ever used one when I did this.

That actually depends on what router(s) the kid has. Some of them do not have an uplink port...in which case....you'd want a X cable. Most do...but there are some that don't.

Back