Lan 5 computers + internet?

PhattyT

Limp Gawd
well me and a few friends are planning to lan with 5 computers and using the internet... from what i searched i need a router (duh) for DHCP IP's? and a switch for the hub? am i correct? is there anything else? we don't want to lag and play online... how do lan centers do this?

Yes, you'd want a router and a switch. (I haven't seen many standard routers w/ more than 4 ports, so for 5 PCs, you probably will need a switch)

As long as your Internet connection is good and consistent, the 5 of you should be able to game without much trouble. You MAY want to look into QOS to limit the amount of bandwidth that each PC gets, but for your situation, this is probably overkill.

Just be careful about things like BitTorrent and ITunes or P2P apps because if one of the 5 users is DL'ing, it can cause major pains.

yeah a router, look for a router with a built in 8 port switch. those are pretty cheap these days. NO HUBS! the keyword is switch!

ahh was about to use a HUB too.... has anyone written a STEP BY STEP process of how to do this?

not that I know of but the reason you don't want to use a hub is because then all packets get sent to all ips and a switch remembers the mac address table so basically a switch is much better especially for gaming

correct me if i am wrong here

yes get a switch, 5 or 8 port switch, a 4 port router and you'll be set
depending on your ISP, should just be able to hook the router up to the modem, reset them both and it should take off and work. The router will have a WAN side which you plug the cable going from your modem to, then can hook a few pcs into the router. Then take a cable from one of the 4 ports of the router to the switch.

Ya, just get a router and switch and you are good to go.
We sometimes have 4 machines playing BF2 online, 2 PC's in each room, and we play on the internet just fine.

Our setup uses 2 routers and 4 switches, due to the locations of the PC's and the amount of networked devices we have.

ok, get a router plug it in with DHCP enabled

Get the router all setup so the internet works then plug a cable from the back of the router to your new switch and plug all your PCs into this switch.

The router will assign the IPs for you and you should all have access to the net.

Back