lame SLK-947U fan clips?

SkaarjMaster

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, the first time I used them on a 92mm fan they were fine. I held up the MB by the fan and it held great. Well, as you all know, my Dragon2 MB doesn't work and I've hooked it up a second time and the clips aren't holding and keep coming out of the holes. I've tried bending them back and they still seem flimsy. Anyone know what's up with this and should I thermal adhesive the fan to the HS carefully as well as try the fan clips as soon as my new Asus MB is working properly and I have stuff installed properly? I've also heard if you install the fan clips backwards, they might hold better. Anyone know exactly how this is done?

Any ideas? Someone at another forum suggested regular wire and snake it through the SLK-947U heatsink and tie together. If so, what kind of regular wire would be best?

I had the same problem with my SLK-947U. I took four black cable ties and "snaked" them through the heatsink and the screw holes in the fan, and tied them together. They're black so you can barely see them, if at all. Plus, they hold better then those damn clips. Someone really needs to redesign that heatsink to incorporate screws. Take your time and try, let me know how it works.

- Joey \m/

So, I've never hooked ties that close to my CPU/HS before, they don't melt or anything? sorry if this is a dumb question, just wondering. I'll just get some wire and black ties, then I can decide to do either one when it's time. Thanks.:)

Nah, not at all. The ties are actually going through the bottom screw holes in the fan and then through the holes in the black mounting bracket attached to the heatsink. Thus, they are not actually touching the heatsink it's self, so I'm confident they won't melt. I've had very good luck with cable ties in high heat situations and haven't had a problem yet. I'll let you know once I finish this beast and get her going again.

^^ Rig is in the final stages of being "finished". Therefore, not built yet and not running, thus cannot give specifics of any kind!

- Joey \m/

Back