Laing D5s are in at Danger Den

Indeed, I just ordered one to replace my D4
now I just have to find someone to buy it....

1/2" OD fittings means that 1/2" ID tubing will fit on it. If you are looking for a 3/8" ID pump, then you'd want the DDC

I got mine like three weeks ago, I just installed it the other day on the back of my aqua bay...

I love the adjustable settings ;)

yang88she said:
mine get's here tommorrow, cheapest I've found it was 71.99 @ www.crazypc.com just to let everyone know
I know personally that I'd rather deal with DD for warrenty service than any on-line vendor, but that may just be me.
Also, s&h is a bitch @ CrazyPC compared to DD. $5.04 was the shipping cost when I ordered today, via FedEx Home delivery, and that's 1-day to me as I'm so close ;)

Vertigo Acid said:
I know personally that I'd rather deal with DD for warrenty service than any on-line vendor, but that may just be me.
Also, s&h is a bitch @ CrazyPC compared to DD. $5.04 was the shipping cost when I ordered today, via FedEx Home delivery, and that's 1-day to me as I'm so close ;)

yeah, DD takes a week to get to me and shipping is a lot more, plus DD just came out today, I ordered 2 days ago ;)

but i have somethings coming from DD also

dingobiatch said:
wait, how do you mount the pump to the back of an aquabay? is it easy?

Just drill some holes and stick on, then bolt....

*click on thumbnails for a bigger pic*

sorry, I didn't take any good pics before installing.
BTW: it's in a Cooler Master Stacker and the aquabay takes up two cdrom bays.

DD says the D5 is quieter than the D4; can anyone attest to this? How much quieter?

miro said:
DD says the D5 is quieter than the D4; can anyone attest to this? How much quieter?

This is the only question I have before ordering 2 for replacing mine and my wifes D4's. Anyone have their pumps installed yet that has used teh D4 and can compare on noise?

I've been running the D5 since last saturday; it's a quiet pump no doubt, but I didn't really notice any improvement over the D4 I had, possibly because I had a really late-model D4 that didn't have the whinning problem some complained about. I can't hear it over my PSU fan anyway

I recently upgraded to a D5 from my AquaXtreme 50Z and the D5 is just as silent. I can't hear it over the 2 120mm aluminum fans I have on the heatercore. The D5 is also quite small. I expected it to be a bit bigger than the 50Z, but its about 1" shorter. Not having previous experiance with either a D4 or D5, I thought the fins up by the barbs were heatsinks. They are plastic and are mearly there for grip when you want to dismantle the barb section from the motor housing.

nice pump, only problem is that it dumps more heat into the system then the D4. but it is a killer pump.

EDIT: also techincally i dont belive this is a D5, i'm pretty sure its just a new model of the D4. i'm not 100% though

Swimming_Bird said:
nice pump, only problem is that it dumps more heat into the system then the D4. but it is a killer pump.

EDIT: also techincally i dont belive this is a D5, i'm pretty sure its just a new model of the D4. i'm not 100% though

You could double the amount of heat it dumps into the loop and it would not have any effect on the cooling provided by the loop.

Also, it is the D5, which is basically a new model of the D4. From what I have heard the D5 is almost as quiet as the DDC but maintains the performance of the D4. Also the D5 has the adjustable flow rate which is a very nice feature for people who are interested in hitting the perfect noise/performance ratio.

Swimming_Bird said:
also techincally i dont belive this is a D5, i'm pretty sure its just a new model of the D4. i'm not 100% though
The housing with the model sticker from Laing would disagree with you ;)

As for dumping more heat into the loop, where are you deriving that from?

tests done by cathar. and while it may not make that huge a deal dumping heat into the system DOES affect how effectively the CPU is cooled, in a system where everthing you do tries to remove heat added heat does not help.

Last I read from Cathar on this subject was:
Cathar at OC Forum said:
MCP655 looks identical internally in every respect to the MCP650, both in the wetted end, and the "motor/stator", with the exception of the different electronics controller and the knob on the back.

If the MCP655 has a significantly different ratio of input power:heat dump to the MCP650, then I'll be one surprised person. I will of course measure it to verify.

Back