LACP Questions

ufokillerz

Supreme [H]ardness
Haven't posted here in years, but figured it was worth a shot

I have a Zyxel 24 port layer2 switch with lacp

i have a synology ds1812+ nas that has dual gigabit ports and supports link aggregration.

ds1812+ is connected to unmanaged switch, unmanaged switch is currently connected to layer 2 switch with single cat 6.

what do i need to do to take advantage of link aggregration?

Plugin one cable bewteen NAS and layer 2 switch.
Configure layer 2 switch for link aggregation, configure NAS for link aggregation.
Plugin 2nd cable.

static link aggregation is probably better

thats what i am trying to figure out, one end there is a layer 2 switch that supports link aggregation
the other side i have the nas that supports link aggregration
in between i have a unmanaged gigabit switch.

Somewhat true... there is something called TLB (transmission load balance) which is a "better than nothing" aggregation which is compatible with dumb switches.

With TLB only one interface will receive traffic (seen from the server point of view) but both interfaces will send traffic.

In this case I think its best to put two cables directly from the NAS towards the managed switch and setup the trunk manually (if possible). Also, if possible, setup the loadbalancing hashing to use srcip+dstip+srcport+dstport - otherwise the default is often srcmac+dstmac (or even worse just srcmac or just dstmac) which means that only one cable will be used at a time instead of both.

Back