Lack of decent high end professional (business) Windows Laptops?!

Yea, I saw that too. Kind of disappointing. At PAx they said April or may
http://www.maximumpc.com/pax_east_2...ghost_pro_3k_ultra-thin_gaming_notebook_video
Gigabyte is also getting involved in similar laptops. At PAx they released a few interesting machines. The 2nd two, the P35W V2 and the P34G V2 both look very interesting. They are also offering versions with double the vram from the stock cards. Even better, they all support adaptive vsync, which is hit or miss on laptop gpus and seem to depend on the manufacturer (the 640m in my current system does not, but other systems with the 640ms do).

http://www.maximumpc.com/pax_east_2...idia_geforce_gtx_800m-powered_notebooks_video

I am still iffy on the Gigabytes,there first line had crap bodies that bent easily and were separating at joints alot of resellers noted in massive shipmnets they got with the P35 ones. They seemed to try and cram so much into the laptop they went cheapon what matters, the frame / body.

I just got my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7573) today and it is probably the nicest windows laptop around the ~1k mark I have ever bought. Its so reminiscent of the Macbook pro and I used to hate dell but that is changing with this one I just bought. Solidly built, well priced, good performance, great feeling materials.

The Toshiba P55t will start shipping Apr 22. Main selling point is a factory color calibrated 4k display IPS display (likely IGZO as well). Expected to start for ~$1500. Although I don't think it is quite thin/light as it does include an optical drive. GPU is on the weaker side being a r9 m265x. This would be more for photo/graphics work.

The other thing to take from this is that the y50 might also be following. Since I assume this indicates panel availability is there for shipping products (I assume they use the same display).

HP ProBook or EliteBook series. excellent support if something happens and decent lease terms.

I'd stay away from anything sold at 'big box' retail.

I am still iffy on the Gigabytes,there first line had crap bodies that bent easily and were separating at joints alot of resellers noted in massive shipmnets they got with the P35 ones. They seemed to try and cram so much into the laptop they went cheapon what matters, the frame / body.
Yea, I'm going to wait and see how the reviews pan out. I've read similar issues with the last gen. Same with MSI, but both have at least advertised better temps and build quality.

I just got my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7573) today and it is probably the nicest windows laptop around the ~1k mark I have ever bought. Its so reminiscent of the Macbook pro and I used to hate dell but that is changing with this one I just bought. Solidly built, well priced, good performance, great feeling materials.
I'm not so keen on the QUadro series. I know in the past game support in drivers has been iffy, is this still true?

The Toshiba P55t will start shipping Apr 22. Main selling point is a factory color calibrated 4k display IPS display (likely IGZO as well). Expected to start for ~$1500. Although I don't think it is quite thin/light as it does include an optical drive. GPU is on the weaker side being a r9 m265x. This would be more for photo/graphics work.
The other thing to take from this is that the y50 might also be following. Since I assume this indicates panel availability is there for shipping products (I assume they use the same display).
That Toshiba is a relaly nice looking laptop. THing is, I am somewhat hesitant to get a Tosh, as I've had bad experience with their build quality in the past being on par with Acer.

HP ProBook or EliteBook series. excellent support if something happens and decent lease terms.
I'd stay away from anything sold at 'big box' retail.
I'm buying, not leasing. Not sure why'd you lease a laptop...
As for 'big box', I've always been treated well and been taken care of by their warranties (see OP). So I don't have much reason to go the other route. Also, check out the builds on those. Not many fit the specs, especially for the prices they demand (Few dedicated graphics, many still have 1366X768 screens :eek: )

That Inspiron 15 7000, with the GT 750m is pretty awesome. Bezels look decent too. I'll have to see if someone in the area carries them. It's touch-screen only, so I want to check out whether it has the 'shadowbox' effect that so bothers me.
UGH, but a 4 cell battery!? That's not going to last very long at all...
EDIT: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1304092/dell-inspiron-15-7000 indicates a good batterylife. 9hrs according to them...

That Inspiron 15 7000, with the GT 750m is pretty awesome. Bezels look decent too. I'll have to see if someone in the area carries them. It's touch-screen only, so I want to check out whether it has the 'shadowbox' effect that so bothers me.
EDIT: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1304092/dell-inspiron-15-7000 indicates a good batterylife. 9hrs according to them...

The number of cells in a battery doesn't matter, it is the capacity of the battery that matters. You can have a 100 cell battery with a 10WHr capacity and a 2 cell battery with a 100WHr capacity, guess which one will last longer?

The Inspiron 15s aren't too bad, you lose a bit on the build quality and dimensions compared to the better XPS 15. I have the XPS 15 and have been very pleased with it, even been doing gaming on it lately because I had to take down my desktop for home repairs for the past 2 months.

The only thing wrong with it so far I have found is that it has some keyboard flex I guess you would call it. Otherwise the touchscreen looks gorgeous, its not extremely bright its more than bright enough for me, the build quality is phenomenal for a windows laptop it feels like a macbook pro. The battery life has been pretty damn good on it, I get around 7hrs doing work and such. I didnt get the one with the GT750M as I use it mostly for work and I play league here and there and the HD4400 runs league at 1080p more then well enough. I bought it refurbished with the dell 30% off coupon only to find that a new one is only marginally more expensive that same day as dell was doing almost $400 off on the new ones. If I see that deal I will return it and probably go ahead and get the GT750M just because lol.

I'm not sure about the build quality of thinkpads anymore since lenovo bought them. But essentially for the same specs of the dell I just bought its roughly $400 MSRP wise, building it exactly to my specs would cost $1900 the dell built to my specs cost me just $1K because it was on sale.
Yeah they are a tad overpriced.
Though my work gave me a T430s that has been very good even though it's traveled coast to coast numerous times. Still works great. ONLY complaint that I have for it is the crappy display which they finally fixed with the T440 and the option of a 1920x1080 screen. Keyboard is THE standard for laptops IMHO. Best typing experience I've ever had on a laptop :cool:

Yeah they are a tad overpriced.
Though my work gave me a T430s that has been very good even though it's traveled coast to coast numerous times. Still works great. ONLY complaint that I have for it is the crappy display which they finally fixed with the T440 and the option of a 1920x1080 screen. Keyboard is THE standard for laptops IMHO. Best typing experience I've ever had on a laptop :cool:

I've been looking at the W540 for the wife. How does the W line compare with the T line?

I've been looking at the W540 for the wife. How does the W line compare with the T line?
The W line is more of a mobile workstation then a laptop. The laptop itself is very similar to the T540. Under the hood is more of a mobile workstation class of graphics. Otherwise if you don't need the graphics spring for the T540. Best to compare the specs on lenovo's site

If you want a lightweight laptop the T440 is a better fit. if you want a even smaller laptop that still has punch the x series is a good bet.

If you want a decent keyboard, you are screwed. There's nothing left, the last was the ThinkPad X220/T420/T520/W520. ( I bought a second T420 when the T430 appeared. There's no hope left. These ThinkPad Ts each will last an eternity so I will likely use a T420 for twenty years :) )

If you want a decent keyboard, you are screwed. There's nothing left, the last was the ThinkPad X220/T420/T520/W520. ( I bought a second T420 when the T430 appeared. There's no hope left. These ThinkPad Ts each will last an eternity so I will likely use a T420 for twenty years :) )
I have coworkers with t410 and t420... key feel is pretty much the same. Layout is indeed a bit "different". be it for good or bad is really up to the end user.

I'm using a T440s with specifications that are a little different from what I see on US markets.

T440S 20ARA00QSG
i7 4600U
8GB RAM
256GB SSD (apparently an OEM version of the Samsung 840 Pro - MZ7TD256HFAV)
GT730M 1GB
HD non-touch 1600 x 900 res (I assume it's a TN panel)
w Win 7 Pro 64-bit

I have been using it for slightly more than 2 months and I like it... the only problems I have with it are:
- the new Lenovo trackpad that nobody likes
- no big brand M.2 NGFF 42mm SSDs (just this MyDigitalSSD company on Amazon)

Back