Lab-Grown Meat Is In Your Future

I'm out no thanks and beat it before I hit you with this here stick. I live off the land to a large degree and getting better at doing it year round. Large garden and a freezer full of venison and other wild game plus we have chickens and pigs. Working on getting goats so then all dairy would be covered.
There is no way on Gods green earth that man made product can be healthier than natural good food.

If the product is made properly, it can be MUCH healthier than natural food.
The only problem with 95% of the stuff made today is that it is made for mass production and profit, NOT to be good for you, which is not to say that it couldn't be made to be heathy and potentially even better than natural, just that it is not cost effective to do so (or at least not profitable).

"Natural foods" are what the human body adapted/evolved to eat over the millenia -- but this diet was optimized for humans who lived outside a lot, worked outside a lot, burned lots of energy in their daily work, and then typically died before age 45.
Would this diet generally suit the average human today? Not so much...

Artificial does not always mean bad.

And to some who have told me that natural is always better, I have simply told them that, if they believe that, then hemlock makes for a wonderfully minty flavoring and ground apple seeds make great snacks (if you like dying that is, as both are quite toxic).

I'd absolutely eat lab-grown meat over natural meat if it's 1) comparable in price or cheaper, 2) as healthy or more so, and 3) has similar taste and consistency. There's nothing about it being made artificially that I find gross or otherwise objectionable. Honestly, eating dead animal parts is a bit disgusting when you think about it. Plus, I've never been too keen on the treatment of food animals; I've been eagerly awaiting "cultured" meat for many years to alleviate those concerns.

Ground beef or sausage is one thing, though; I'm not sure if we can look forward to lab-grown steaks quite like the natural ones we're used to.

Would you eat lab grown meat even if it was healthier than real meat? I don't know, that sounds pretty damn gross to me. Then again, it can't be any worse than eating Taco Bell and McDonald's. Seriously, who knows what is in most of the fast food we eat?

Gross huh Steve? I guess you never worked at a slaughterhouse before...

I'd try it, why not? Why would it be more gross than eating an actual cow? It's all protein, and probably healthier with less concern about issues such as disease, hormones and antibiotics.

If they taste the same then mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned, just has to be priced right.

There is no way on Gods green earth that man made product can be healthier than natural good food.
The problem is that meat that you buy in a store is kind of skimping on the good, and definitely skimping on the natural, with all the cross breeding to get chickens so fat with breast meat they can't walk, pumping them full of antibiotics because they have so many in such a small area that any disease would literally wipe out an entire flock, hell even on the plant side things we're getting out of control.

So yeah I'm super happy that you have a large garden and have a freezer full of deer meat, that's awesome, but a vast majority of Americans can not have that, land is is at a premium where they live, and even if they decided to go into the wilderness to hunt, if large enough numbers do that then people like you won't have a freezer full of deer meat because deer would be wiped out. At best the average American who owns a home in the suburbs can have a small garden, and perhaps a chicken coup (assuming city laws allow it) which would hardly make a dent in feeding that person in the long haul. Face it, there are too many of us who need precious resources that are no where near where we live, so manufactured meat (lets just call it protein) might very well be in our future, and in the long run it might be better for us if you remove what cattle & chicken farming ends up doing to the environment.

All that being said at $18k a pound, if someone offered I'd give it a taste just to say I ate meat more expensive then the best cuts of Kobe beef :D

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Gross huh Steve? I guess you never worked at a slaughterhouse before...

I've sat in on several autopsies before. Worst one was a guy that had been floating in the river for a week. I ate my ham sandwich and drank my Pepsi at lunch with no problem. Spent one day on the kill floor of a slaughter house.... lunch wasn't happening that day or dinner for that matter. I still do eat steaks though despite that.

Prion diseases are transmissible between many animals—not just humans.

I am well aware of that. But rates of transmission are higher between the same species when one is the consumer. You are much more likely to get a prion based disease eating humans than cows or other animals.

Since no one knows what is truly healthy or not, I call shens on the claim. Not long ago they would have included trans fats in the meat matrix and called it healthy. Who knows what's missing now.

Really a non-issue if the best substitute they can come up for this lab-meat is ground beef. Now if they can create a lab grown slab of rib-eye, cooked medium rare, then I would be interested. Otherwise, there is a million choices of ground beef "substitute" on the market now.

I mean for me it comes down to can i tell the difference? If the answer is no, then sure I would probably eat it. I don't have any intrinsic need for something to die for me to enjoy it. However would I willingly give up real meat for anything on the market currently? Not a chance. I've had some alternatives that by themselves were decent enough (quorn chicken patties) come to mind, but they in no way replace a real fried chicken patty. I've heard the "beyond meat" chicken strips are decent as well, but I haven't personally tried them. However reality is most "Vegan" alternatives are just plain shitty. They either taste bad, smell bad, have a weird texture or all of the above.

Back