L90D+ settings

Chaballaman

[H]ard|Gawd
I see many happy L90D+ owners here but my eyes aren't too happy with mine. I get tired eyes after a hour of use.. but i can look at Samsung 193T whole day. (or preivous CRTs i had)

I've set mine to 35 brightness and 65 contrast which is best i found so far..
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/lcd-02.html
"In the case of the L90D+, you'll be able to change the brightness as you see fit between 30% and 70% without losing too much contrast. Optimum contrast was at 65%."

Price is good, design is good (besides the buttons), repsonse is excellent but colors are washed. Image quality on darker colors are poor (even tho ppl are sayin this is best for TN) but i decided to live with it.. but now my eyes seem to get tired after minimal use. :(

update:
I've set the brightness 25, contrast to 55. seem to be bit easier on eyes so far.. hopefully i can use this monitor without fxxxkin up my eyes..

I changed mine to 10 brightness and 65 contrast.. and it seems to be the best sof far.

Samsung is running 30 brightness and 50 contrast, but 193T has 250cdm2 and 750:1 ratio so i thought Hyundai should be ok with 10 brightness and 65 contrast since it has 300cdm2 and 700:1 contrast..

What is cleartype, does it come with a L90D+ box?

it is a windows display setting i believe, makes a huge difference with text on most lcds,

ill check if someone else hasnt already posted it,

I don't think his problem is related to fonts in any way. Clear Type will just make fonts look smoother. I doubt his eyes are getting tired of fonts being too sharp, especially since he has no problems with the 193T, which is a PVA panel btw.

The problem probably lies within the backlight of the L90D+ being too bright. Manufacturers use this trick to boost the contrast ratio of their TN panels. The negative side of this is that the colors often look too bright and washed out. You could try to mess around with the settings some more too make it less bright. Also try lowering the gamma setting in the control panel of your video card. That might improve the washed out image.

Previous setting was still bad for my eyes so I changed it to 25 brightness and 40 contrast like the dude above. Seems to be bit better now.. also ran that cleartype n i can read bit better now. thanks.

However my eyes are still gettin fxxked.. i played about 30min about Farcry last nite n everything got so blurry after playin for a bit.. n i felt so tired i just wend to sleep.. i wouldn't be too suprised if my perfect eye sight has gone bad already..

My eyes get dry and vision become blurry after using this monitor.. anyone else gettin this problem? or am i the only one?

Just you man. I'm at 20 brightness and 60 contrast and my eyes do not miss my Viewsonic CRT at all.

I was meant to meet a friend last nite but i couldn't cos i slept, thanks to playin far cry on L90D+ for 30min.. my eyes got really blurry n tired.. when i woke up this mornin my eyes were still bit blurry so i had to go out and buy eye drops. But eye drops didn't help much.. and my eyes were still getting tired even when i was looking at other CRT monitors this morning so i had to take a day off. now i have an appointment with optometrists later on.. i'm hoping there won't be any permanent damage to my eyes.. :(

I'll probably have to stop using L90D+ until my eyes are back to normal.. i'll be mega pissed off if i lost my perfect vision due to L90D+. I'm not sure if i got slightly faulty one (i.e. with bit too much back light coming out) but i think my monitor is normal for L90D+.. i've used many diff CRTs in the past n never had this problem.. and been very happy with Samsung 193T for over a year now.

I might try diff settings (or get one of my friend to use it for me) and see if that helps but so far my eyes been complaining regardless of the settings.

One thing i find interesting is, according to Tomshardware contrast should be at 65, brightness 30-70 and thats why i used 65, 30 at the start, but two users here are using much lower settings and happy with the screen, so Tomshardware's recommended settings are f#@$*ed up??

Iam going to guess (this is just my opinion) that these LCDs can be slightly different from monitor to monitor so maybe you have a hardware problem hard saying without being there ..
I know it took me a little while to get used to this LCD they are definately different then a CRT but iam having none of the problems your quoting .

I would run through the basics such as check your resulition and refresh rate as iam told if you do not run an LCD in its native resulition its quality is questionable 1280x1024 60Hz refresh ..

I'm not still sure if my monitor is slight faulty.. but i think i found out most of the cause..
I was tired when i got the monitor last week.. went go carting, too much xxx, etc.. yet i played with the new monitor fair bit cos i really wanted <12ms monitor.. tried all my games (doom3, farcry, halflife2, nfs underground2, etc) even downloaded quake3 demo for ghosting. And at same time i had my monitor set at 40-50 brightness and 65 contrast thanks to Tomshardware's recommendation.. :( And I left the monitor bit too close to my eyes cos it replaced the CRT monitor, normally 193T is about 50cm from the eyes, but i left L90D+ about 30cm from the eyes at the start.

I think i used in that condition for almost 2 days.. so i'm not sure if it caused any permanent damage to my eyes.. And i used the monitor another 3-4 days with 30 brightness and increased distance but my eyes didn't recover.. could have got worse..

I haven't used the monitor for last two days, been eating and resting well but my eyes aren't fully recovered, i get tired after looking 193T for a while.. and L90D+ gets tired straight away even tho brightness and distance has been fixed.

I WILL find out if L90D+ i have is fxxxed once my eyes are back to normal.. worst case I have plenty of friends who can test for me.. I'll definately sell L90D+ ASAP, If my eyes find 193T easier for viewing. I know PVA is easier on eyes than the TN but if the difference is noticable, i don't want L90D+. I love 8ms (more like 10ms anyway) and can live with dead pixel, washed colors but if it cause any harm to my perfect vision, i rather break it then use it.

a foot away from the monitor? that is crazy, no wonder your eyes hurt. Try using it like 2-3 feet away, I mean it's 19 inches of 1280x1024. I run a 17inch CRT 3 feet away at 1280x1024 and things are small but I dont need to get a foot away from it and start burning my eyes out.

I say give it a rest for a few days then come back to it at a safe distance with some ambient lighting. You can't blame the sun for burning your retina's when you stare at it - I wouldn't jump on the monitor too quickly.

WTF a foot away? How about be like everyone else and have it like 2-3 feet like a normal person? Good God man. :rolleyes:

That was only for a very short period.. its been 2 feet away since the 2nd day. The fact that i was mega tired probably had more negative effect on my eyes. I think my eyes are bit better now cos I can use 193T without too much prob.. but when i look at L90D+ i still find it much harder to read regardless of settings i tried so far.. i changed it back to 30/65.. cos black text on white background were harder to read at 20/40 brightness/contrast. also uninstalled cleartype cos it made certain fonts harder to read.

Weird thing is (my eyes are still bit fxxked up atm) when i tried 17" Samsung 172X (running on analog tho) yesterday it was also very hard to read..

Just could be a defective monitor. I read on another thread somewhere on this board (I think it was this board) that someone had eye fatique with a 2405 though the imaging looked perfectly fine to him. He got another one that looked just the same but the eye problems were gone. Or maybe LCDs aren't for you....they are all pretty bright compared to CRTs.

My eyes are almost back to normal but i still find L90D+ very hard to read compared 193T or CRT monitor i have. I placed it next to 193T and got friend to compare it but got same result. L90D+ is definately harder to view, eyes really need to work hard and focus to view the screen, as result they get very tired easily. Not just on text but movies and games too.

And colors are so washed compared to 193T.. just looks f@#*(). For example there are too much red.. when u watch movie u can notice it clearly (try having another monitor playin same movie next it), skins look redish, there was a scene with blue sky with slight patch of redish cloud, but the whole sky looked purple on L90D+. :(

When the whole screen is black(it looks more like dark grey on L90D+) you can see big patch of light on top and bottom of the screen, so the top and the bottom looks much brighter, doesn't look black at all.

Major Cons
- darker colors look #)*$#
- too much red, generally washed colors
- lights leaking on top and bottom (noticable on black but its leeking all the time)
- darker on top, lighter on bottom when u look at pages like this.
- buttons
- very hard on eye

The last one could be just my L90D+ but I'm selling mine ASAP.
I'm not sure if Samsung one with 8ms is going to be much better cos i know Hyundai got their TN panel from Samsung.. but according to the specs it has wider viewing angle and according to Tomshardware, the colors are much better. ?

Back