• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

L4D2 Straw Poll

Are you buying L4D2?

  • I've already preordered or plan to in the near future

    Votes: 74 27.4%
  • I'm planning to buy it once I see some reviews after release

    Votes: 29 10.7%
  • I'll buy it when it's deeply discounted (50% or less)

    Votes: 122 45.2%
  • Valve won't see a penny of my money for this "sequel"

    Votes: 45 16.7%

  • Total voters
    270
So 99 voters so far, between outright not buying it, and waiting for a heavy discout, we're talking 60% of people. I'm going to be really interested to see the final numbers of players at launch, at least if it's low they wont have to worry about the game being unplayable for the first few weeks like L4D was.

I think they know with how big the steam service is they can afford to test it out at $50 and then drop it if the sales go down. With steam we do have control over the pricing and you should buy accordingly.
 
I still don't get how people are mad about L4D2 but Bungie craps out ODST and Halo fan bois are all OMG MUST HAVE.
 
I still don't get how people are mad about L4D2 but Bungie craps out ODST and Halo fan bois are all OMG MUST HAVE.

Well even though I think the ODST is uttterly retarded pricing wise it still essentially has a 6 hour campaign with a multi-player component.

At its core with no cut scenes or story L4D literally is a reskinned and cleaned up "Counter-strike: Source - zombie mod" you can look it up. It's the exact same game.

No one can argue that not even valve. which is ironic because Counter-strike: source is a Valve retail source conversion of counter-strike which is a mod of Half-life.

I mean it goes on and on with Valve.

So heres the history

Retail Half-life> User made counter-strike>retail Counter-strike Source> User made Counter-strike Source Zombie mod> Retail L4D.

Eventually Users will mod a better game out of L4D, Valve will buy it, clean it up and sell it as the next big thing in a couple years. L4D2 is just a way to get a couple more bucks out of L4D before the modders make it something better.

In their defense. DoDS CSS and TF2 are good....at $20 It's just kinda weak that theyre pretending L4D is an actual full retail value game.
 
Last edited:
l4d2 is sitting at the top of the steam top sellers list. it's only been a couple of days, but i suspect that it will remain there for some time to come. i guess people are buying it.
 
l4d2 is sitting at the top of the steam top sellers list. it's only been a couple of days, but i suspect that it will remain there for some time to come. i guess people are buying it.

So was Killing Floor for about two weeks and it's barely a stand alone game.
 
i find killing floor quite entertaining, so it's nice to see that it did well.

l4d2, though, i assume will remain in the top sellers for months to come. probably right at the top even, dethroned periodically by big releases like modern warfare 2. i imagine it will be one of the highest selling games on the service for the year. (for comparison, i'd say something like aion, which has been at the top of the sales charts ever since it went on preorder a few months ago).
 
Well even though I think the ODST is uttterly retarded pricing wise it still essentially has a 6 hour campaign with a multi-player component.

At its core with no cut scenes or story L4D literally is a reskinned and cleaned up "Counter-strike: Source - zombie mod" you can look it up. It's the exact same game.

No one can argue that not even valve. which is ironic because Counter-strike: source is a Valve retail source conversion of counter-strike which is a mod of Half-life.

I mean it goes on and on with Valve.

So heres the history

Retail Half-life> User made counter-strike>retail Counter-strike Source> User made Counter-strike Source Zombie mod> Retail L4D.

Eventually Users will mod a better game out of L4D, Valve will buy it, clean it up and sell it as the next big thing in a couple years. L4D2 is just a way to get a couple more bucks out of L4D before the modders make it something better.

In their defense. DoDS CSS and TF2 are good....at $20 It's just kinda weak that theyre pretending L4D is an actual full retail value game.

you know what I think it is, just the fact that they're shackled to the console platform is what skews their marketing scheme so much. how can anyone blame them for taking ripe opportunities to make money hand over fist? on pc they can be more modest with the initial release knowing that there will be ongoing support, but because there is a console version that must stay within the same dev cycle they are forced to keep prices the same, until way after launch. tf2 was different since they had the whole orange box to hold up the value on release, so the console camp would not be so buthurt about completely different support cycles. otherwise who cares if the game is actually a mod when they get priced as such, in that way it's actually a good deal to get proffessional support on mods that are worth playing.

this is why I never had any interest in l4d, besides the fact that I think the entire premise of this game sucks, I saw it coming from a mile away. valve just got dollar signs in their eyes, and nobody can blame them since the entire console platform is built for "fleecing the wool" from the bottom up. they got to be the main driving force behind the whole boycott gayness, because pc players can always eventually get the game for dirt cheap while they just have to bend over and take it every time.

game development is not a charity, if there is a demand for it then it would be wrong not to do it that way. that's why complainers are fighting a losing battle, as long as there are gamers completely apathetic about the value of release, devs are going to continue churning them out. people whine as if valve is actually playing by their own rules, but when they have console platforms to deal with it's actually more complicated than it seems.
 
I preordered L4D for $45 and had fun for a few weeks with friends, then it suddenly got old and boring for all 3 of us. I think the problem is there really isn't any depth to the gameplay and running through the same maps over and over really emphasized how repetitive it all was. Even if the Director was as good as Valve claimed, the enclosed, linear maps never gave it a chance to shine.

I'm not pissed about L4D - we had great games for a while. But L4D2's core gameplay hasn't changed so none of us will be buying it.
 
There's really no reason to get it at release considering the amount of competition coming out in November. At least those games will be complete packages.

If I do get it, it will be when it's discounted. I mean, who is to say they wont announce Left for dead 3 in March? L4D 1 was never worth the full retail in terms of content and L4D 2 is most likely going to be about the same.
 
running through the same maps over and over really emphasized how repetitive it all was.

This was the big problem. We were led to believe we would be getting new maps eventually. We got one. A month before the sequel. FFS we didn't even get mod support until 2 months ago.
 
How about you two lovebirds get a room and quit crapping up this thread. :p
 
I'm not an overreacting boycotting kinda guy, but after what Valve pulled, Borderlands is looking more attractive to me. Which is why they should have offered a HUGE discount on this content pack like Epic did with UT2004.
 
Well according to Valve it's selling 300% better than L4D did, and they're planning a $25 million ad campaign for it...

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2907/

"According to Valve's vice-president, Doug Lombardi, "Left 4 Dead 2 has already set the record for greatest number of pre-orders in our company's history, and we're still over a month out from shipping." Last year's Left 4 Dead received $10 million towards its marketing campaign, but this year's budget will help get the sequel's TV ads on Monday Night Football and UFC broadcasts, as well as the standard billboard and online presence. Gabe Newell, president of Valve, noted that, "Based on the strength of pre-orders, Left 4 Dead 2 will be the fastest-selling product in Valve's history." Left 4 Dead 2 ships on November 17th."

Boycotting sure worked? Haha...
 
I preordered L4D for $45 and had fun for a few weeks with friends, then it suddenly got old and boring for all 3 of us. I think the problem is there really isn't any depth to the gameplay and running through the same maps over and over really emphasized how repetitive it all was.

Same here, it was fun while it lasted and I have no regrets about buying it, but I doubt they will add anything significant to this one so there's nothing in it for me.

It would have been funny if Valve had made it so anyone who was a member of that boycotting group couldn't buy the game.
 
I did the 4 pack with my brothers and another guy we play L4D with.
 
I'm giving this one a pass because I found L4D boring and there are a lot better games, to spend money on, on the horizon.
 
. It would have been funny if Valve had made it so anyone who was a member of that boycotting group couldn't buy the game.

Do you think that would really effect the boycotter? Stop and think about it. Modern Warfare 2 and Borderlands are gonna be out at that time too. Well along with other games too. Its not like "OMG! I sorry Valve!! I bored!! Please forgive me and let me play the game I should have had last year!!" :rolleyes: Valve Says, Valve Says, Valve Says. Do you really think they would come out and tell you "Yes we are seeing lower preorders from last year so we decreased marketing spending across the globe.":eek: Think before making such a remark. How goofy of you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I plan to pre-order. I have had a blast with L4D and find it to be a unique and very enjoyable game. I don't dump the amount of time into it that i have other games. ie CS or BF2 but its well worth the money i payed for it, and I expect the second to be just as good. Valve hasn't let me down yet so i wouldn't expect them to here.
 
I wasn't a big fan of L4D so I won't get this.

Same here. The concept was nice and all but it was poorly executed. This game is just a bit closer to what L4D should have been. Sorry, but I don't think it will be close enough.
 
Random map generator? COUNT ME IN.

It's not a random map generator. From what I've been able to tell from videos, some of the obstacles in the maps are dynamic and will be moved around by the director. Like in the cemetery, the grave stones move around, so you have to take a different path to reach the exit.
 
I bought L4D when it first came out. I had it ordered and ready to go. I am not a boycotter but there are glaring issues with L4D that are going unresolved and I wont buy L4D2 until its heavily discounted. I wont be put through that again.

No SDK for over 6 months after release, all the nerfs that went on, the custom map "system" right now is very poorly done, the lack of weapons and the list goes on and on. I wont pay full price again. I learned my lesson the first time.
 
A random map generator would be a marvel of programming if it produced halfway playable maps. It's much more likely that it operates just as Oldie had stated and that props or other entities will be randomized throughout the map, but the overall mission design will be the same.

Any of you that have made maps for games like this can probably understand why.

Either way, the first one failed to impress, I will be passing on #2
 
Do you think that would really effect the boycotter? Stop and think about it. Modern Warfare 2 and Borderlands are gonna be out at that time too. Well along with other games too. Its not like "OMG! I sorry Valve!! I bored!! Please forgive me and let me play the game I should have had last year!!" :rolleyes: Valve Says, Valve Says, Valve Says. Do you really think they would come out and tell you "Yes we are seeing lower preorders from last year so we decreased marketing spending across the globe.":eek: Think before making such a remark. How goofy of you.

Huh?

Gave up trying to make sense of that about half way through. I was simply implying that the boycott group would be smaller if they were called on their commitment. I don't believe that not a single one of those 41k+ people will buy L4D2. After all, these are the people who care enough about the original to want to protest about the sequel. I can imagine Valve throwing them a bone in the form of a map pack or two, and then everyone can be best mates again without feeling like they've compromised their principles.
 
Back
Top