L4D2 [H]ardGaming Night, Saturday 2/4/2012

Shalafi

Fully [H]
Hello gentlemen. In here, we will discuss L4D2 and try to figure out a good time for us to all be on and enjoy some zombie killing, and perhaps some Versus mode.

I know I will more than likely have bigchedd with me once we're done with some stuff in real life that afternoon. I'm thinking that starting at some time around 6 p.m. would be ideal.

Let's keep in mind time zones and all that, I'm thinking 6 p.m. Central Standard Time, which is 4 PST, and 7 p.m. EST.

Also, if you're interested in joining us, post in this thread, and list whether you're tentative (might make it) or confirmed (will be there.)

I will keep a list here in the OP confirming who will be there and who MIGHT be there.

We will be using voice chat supplied to us by [H]ardGaming or we can use the ingame Voice Chat/Steam Voice Chat, whatever you guys want to use.

I think we will meet in a Steam chat conference and get situated there together.

Be sure you all add each other to Steam. My Steam profile is in my signature.

CONFIRMED

Fail
bigchedd
Gooch3008

TENTATIVE

AceGoober
Bowhuntr11
Oldie
Robstar
FrEaKy
Negative Decibel
Bigbacon
jstenuf
ciggwyn
dragon69
Zepher
ICE_9 (this name reminds me of Spice 1, haha)

Last edited:
We have vent with info on the voice server thread, and ts3 will be coming very soon.

If the time is after 6pm PST then I'll be there.

I can't promise Saturday but I'll give it a shot. I would love to do a vs. in that new cold stream map, I've yet to play it. I'm woefully out of practice but have nearly 500 hours between 1/2, so I shouldn't such too bad. :D

Also, Loco mentioned maybe getting a server setup for it, would be nice for one of us to have admin in case we end up pubbing it.

I would like to try Saturday, but this requires some logistics on my side.....Gonna give it a shot. Also: Please don't require voice chat as I don't/won't use it as I'm hard of hearing....

I've never actually played it, its in my Steam Backlog....would you accept a noob? :D

if it isn't just VS mode, I'll play some if I can depending on what time etc.

I would to do the campaign as well. Thats fine, we can see how many show up and try to get an equal split of people ready to rock together. What I am thinking is having those of you ready to show up, post in this thread at the appointed time, and I will start a Steam conference chat and get you gentlemen squared away. This will be organized zombie killing chaos.

Last edited:
*cracks knuckles* I updated the OP with the status of who is confirmed and who is tentative. Good thing Gooch3008 and Bigchedd are my RL friends, so I know they will be there for sure :D

Wish I could but I don't think I'll make it to this one.

That's fine, just try to join the next one, I would like it if we made a [H]ardGaming Saturday Night a frequent thing, so that we can all have something on our calendar to look forward to participating in.

I've never actually played it, its in my Steam Backlog....would you accept a noob? :D

Sure, the whole purpose of this exercise is to have fun and have a blast. It'll be fun showing you the game and you can get a sense of camaderie with the rest of us.

I would like to try Saturday, but this requires some logistics on my side.....Gonna give it a shot. Also: Please don't require voice chat as I don't/won't use it as I'm hard of hearing....

Voice chat isn't required, I will likely use the ingame text chat to communicate. I type really fast, so that works good for me. I will however likely be on voice chat just because I can be.

I can't promise Saturday but I'll give it a shot. I would love to do a vs. in that new cold stream map, I've yet to play it. I'm woefully out of practice but have nearly 500 hours between 1/2, so I shouldn't such too bad. :D

Also, Loco mentioned maybe getting a server setup for it, would be nice for one of us to have admin in case we end up pubbing it.

Roger, we can also use the Steam voice chat, already. I think we will more than likely use the Steam voice chat unless the entire team in a game wants to use the TS/Vent servers provided, that'll be up to each individual group based on what the group wants.

:/ I was hoping to get in on this, but can't this weekend (volunteer work saturday and Sunday). Definitely will attempt for the next one/group play thing.

Bravo))) informs me that he is attempting to get us a dedicated server for our use on the gaming night. So hopefully this news makes some of you more eager to join us for some organized zombie killing chaos and mayhem.

I will ascertain the location of the server and test my ping to it, and report back once it's up and running. I will also test it for stability and report on that as well.

Depends on turnout, but since the majority seems to want to do campaign mode, it'll be 4 players per game started, I don't know how many games a server can handle at once.

I'm guessing that since there's so many tentative, we'll likely end up with 6 to 8 players, so 2 servers would be fine.

To be honest, if we end up having 2 full groups, I'd consider L4D2 [H]ardGaming Night to be a success, that's a great first step.

If you gents who are interested in this plan on playing, please make sure you are part of the [H]ardGaming Steam group, that would make it easier to coordinate, and if you post your Steam ID's, that'd make it even easier to be able to pick you guys up when the time rolls around. Gonna be there early if possible and get everyone on the same page.

Last edited:
The max game size is 4 vs 4 I doubt we'll have enough to justify going to 16, so 8 should be plenty.

Well, most are wanting to do Campaign mode, not Versus mode. It sounds like most of the people who want to be here are interested in just having a good zombie killing time of it. Which is fine. I'm not sure how the back end works on the dedicated server side (whatever servers [H] uses and how many concurrent servers can be run to handle our needs). That's something Loco and Bravo))) are working out apparently.

I'm just trying to organize the community/player side of things. If they can't get the technical part worked out, it's no biggie, we can always just join a Best Available Dedicated server, shouldn't be an issue, really.

Ahh, well I'll do whatever, but versus has always been where it's at for me. Even on expert the game is pretty much a cakewalk w/o human enemies. If you've only played vs on pubs, it's a whole new world when you're playing with a group of people you know who don't randomly rage quit every 30 seconds. Of course I'm saying that after having not played for most of a year...I'll probably spend the evening dying a lot. :p

I logged 30 minutes the other day just to get the feel of it again and kept trying to sprint FFS. :(

Fear not, we may yet work our way up to Versus, but unless there's a change of heart among the players who join us Saturday night, it won't be Saturday night. We have some newbies and some people who haven't played in a while, so I think the general atmosphere should be casual and welcoming.

I have a goal that everyone who joins us, is to have fun and enjoy themselves to the fullest. If we accomplish that much, I'll consider it to be a more than successful night.

That's my stated mission and I'm sticking to it :p

Got the server running. Thats about it. as I know nothing about l4d.

Now someone that does please step up to the plate and help me with this. :p

Ok, so we have an official server for our little shindig, and I have tested it, I have a low ping to it, my ping was 37 at some points, and I'm in Arkansas.

So the server is stable and works great. We shouldn't have any problems getting some games going.

Now, all you guys gotta do is show up!

many months ago, when i hosted a dedicated (locally) server, i had some addons or mods that increased maxplayers to 18 on survival, and then another one to increase the zombies and special infected amount

and then loaded the lord of the rings helms deep map

such win

should try and find those addons and apply them to the server :p

edit: there was also like... 8v8 versus :eek:

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=91132
+
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=830069

actually, now that i look at it, it looks like a lot of work ...

Ok, so we have an official server for our little shindig, and I have tested it, I have a low ping to it, my ping was 37 at some points, and I'm in Arkansas.

So the server is stable and works great. We shouldn't have any problems getting some games going.

Now, all you guys gotta do is show up!

Fellow Arkansas here, I'll try to make it.

Ok, I updated the OP, I'm hoping you goobers show up so we can have some fun, looking forward to it.

Will start up the Steam chat at 6 p.m. CST and wait a few mins for people to show up before starting.

We will set up the teams and voice chat and whatnot in a Steam conference.

Conference will be done using the [H]ardGaming Group Steam chat. Make sure you all list your Steam id's, so I know who to invite.

Why not jump on the TS3 or Vent server?

Only reason is, is that it probably would help [H]ardGaming out a little more...so that we can get some more people to idle in it :)

Oh, I did state in the thread already that it will be up to each group to use whatever they see fit. I'm just using Steam conference chat to get everyone situated. Once we have split into groups, you can use whatever you like.

Steam conference chat is just the mechanism we are using to get organized

Bear with me, it's my first time getting this shit organized. I'm not perfect, but I'm trying to get this thing going so we can make it a weekly event, and if it's successful enough, even expand it to include other days of the week.

Back