L2TP protocol computer certificate

sailor

Limp Gawd
I am running Win-XP-PRO-SP2 on several computers. Small home network. I want to be able to remotely connect to them with my laptop from across the internet.

In the event log I find a warning
Event: 20192 - Source: Remote Access

A certificate could not be found. Connections that use the L2TP protocol over IPSec require the installation of a machine certificate, also known as a computer certificate. No L2TP calls will be accepted.

Explanation
This computer cannot accept Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) virtual private network (VPN) calls because it does not have an L2TP computer certificate installed.

User Action
Install a computer certificate for L2TP VPN connections on this computer.
After some looking around I find this page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742553.aspx where some of it is explained.

It seems getting a certificate is complicated but I can use pre-shared keys instead.

At this point I am stuck. I don't mind using certificates if I can get them easily, or pre-shared keys if that solution is easier. I just don't know how to do either.

Any ideas?

Signed certificates cost $, PSK is free.

You may be able to self-sign some certificates and add them to the trusts on both of your computers as an alternative.

I have tried putting a PSK in there but I still get the same error. It seems IpSec will only work with certificates?

I found in IE6 - Tools - Internet Options - Content - Certificates a certificate
issued to: sailor
issued by: sailor
I have no idea how this was created but it seems my own machine can create its own certificates and I can have it be a trusted issuer. The problem is that I still cannot see how I can get IpSec to see it and use it.

Any ideas on how to get PSK or this certificate to work?

Back