L2335 refusing to stretch -widescreen- resolutions

Hi. First of all, I'm using:

HP L2335 23" LCD, 1920x1200 native resolution
ATI 9800XT-256MB, Catalyst 6.4 drivers
DVI Hook-up to 9800XT's DVI Input
Windows XP Home Edition, SP2

The problem I'm having is that my LCD is refusing to stretch -widescreen-resolutions SMALLER than 1920x1200. I have my monitor and Catalyst drivers -correctly- set (and I have tried them in all combinations!)

Current settings:
ATI Catalyst Control Center, Image Scaling: Scale Image to Full Panel Size
Monitor settings:
Image Control, Custom Scaling: Fill to Screen

If I try switching to non-widescreen resolutions, it DOES stretch to fill the screen. But if I switch to a non-1920x1200 widescreen resolution, it looks like this:

widescreen.jpg

To further clarify, my monitor will stretch or not stretch the following resolutions:

800x600=YES
1024x768=YES
1152x864=YES
1280x720=YES
1280x768=YES
1280x960=YES
1280x1024=YES
1360x768=NO!
1360x1024=NO!
1440x900=NO!
1600x1200=YES
1680x1050=NO!
1920x1080=NO!
1920x1200=YES (NATIVE RESOLUTION, FILLS SCREEN)

Since I only have a 9800XT, which is hardly powerful enough to play new games at 1920x1200, I am trying to play them at lower resolution (but still widescreen). But when I switch to this resolution either in Windows, Auto Assault or TES IV: Oblivion, I get the blackbars -despite- the widescreen image, like the pic I posted above.

I searched through the forum and I've never seen a problem like this. Any help or advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.
~Astral

hey, i have the hp 2335 also... you have to go into the menu on the LCD to change the aspect. hit the menu/enter button on the front of the monitor... then go to "image control".... hit the menu/enter button... then go to "custom scaling".... hit menu/enter... then select "fill to screen" and hit menu/enter button

hope this helps... msg me if it doesnt :D

When you are running a lower widescreen resolution, does the LCDs OSD say that it is actually recieving the lower resolution or is it getting 1920x1200 from the card?

squeezee said:
When you are running a lower widescreen resolution, does the LCDs OSD say that it is actually recieving the lower resolution or is it getting 1920x1200 from the card?

When I am running the lower widescreen resolution, the LCD OSD still reports that it is displaying at 1920x1200--not the lower, equal-ratio resolution.

astralsolace said:
When I am running the lower widescreen resolution, the LCD OSD still reports that it is displaying at 1920x1200--not the lower, equal-ratio resolution.

That means your video card is displaying video in 1920x1200 resoultion and the black area surrounding the pciture you wanted to stretch is part of the picture itself.

Your solution would be to change the image scaling option in your ATI 6.4 Catalost Control. There are two options: 1) Scale image to full panel size and 2) Use centered timing.

saiyan said:
That means your video card is displaying video in 1920x1200 resoultion and the black area surrounding the pciture you wanted to stretch is part of the picture itself.

Your solution would be to change the image scaling option in your ATI 6.4 Catalost Control. There are two options: 1) Scale image to full panel size and 2) Use centered timing.

I don't mean to sound critical/rude, but I said in my first post that I had the driver settings correctly set, and that I have tried all possible combinations (including scaling image/centered timing).

It is working and properly scaling non-WS resolutions, but not scaling lower-than-1920x1200 widescreen resolutions.

If you still can not get the video card to scale image correctly, the only thing I can suggest you to do is to try a different (older) version of video card driver.

My ATI X800 with 6.4 driver does not have problem displaying WS screens lower than 1920x1200. For examle, I can run my Windows Desktop at 1680x1050 and the video card will scale the image to the screen. In this case, the OSD of my L2335 shows 1920x1199.

astralsolace said:
I don't mean to sound critical/rude, but I said in my first post that I had the driver settings correctly set, and that I have tried all possible combinations (including scaling image/centered timing).

Scale image to panel size for the ATI setting sounds incorrect to me, even though you're assuring us it is the correct setting. It would appear that your results disagreee with your analysis.

Either you're wrong, or the driver is borked.

I have that panel, but use it with Nvidia. Usually, I don't do any scaling on either side, I just run the video card at the panel's native resolution when in windows and if a game doesn't support that resolution, I run it in a 1 to 1 pixel map on the panel(i prefer 1600x1200 with vertical bars over 1600x1200 interpolated to 1920x1200).

eastvillager said:
Scale image to panel size for the ATI setting sounds incorrect to me, even though you're assuring us it is the correct setting. It would appear that your results disagreee with your analysis.

Either you're wrong, or the driver is borked.

I have that panel, but use it with Nvidia. Usually, I don't do any scaling on either side, I just run the video card at the panel's native resolution when in windows and if a game doesn't support that resolution, I run it in a 1 to 1 pixel map on the panel(i prefer 1600x1200 with vertical bars over 1600x1200 interpolated to 1920x1200).

Regardless of whether you think I'm wrong, the demo picture in the catalyst drivers specifically shows that "scale image to panel size" stretches the image whereas "use centered timings" centers the picture. As I've said numerous times, I've tried all possible combinations, so it wouldn't matter even if I was "wrong."

In any case, I suppose I'll just have to live with it.

Back