L:ooking for recommendations for an Intel processor

GP40X

Limp Gawd
Ok guys, first off I have not had an Intel processor in a rig since my BH-6/Celeron 300A days. I just happened to be the lucky receipient of 2 Gigabyte GA-8N-Sli Pro motherboards at the CPL last week (won one in the Nvidia North Texas Food Bank food drive raffle Friday night and the second one in the Nvidia Workshop Saturday) so maybe it is God telling my next system upgrade needs to be Intel ;) I am looking for recommendations for a LGA 775 Intel processor. The video card will be a 6800 GS. I traded the other board for an Antec Truepower 2.0 550 watt SLI certified power supply and some other goodies so power for overclocking will not be a problem. Memory will be 2 Gig of Corsair Value Select. What processor fits as the best bang for the buck with the above components? This will be mainly a gaming rig playing Battlefield 2/BF2: Special Forces, Quake 4, F.E.A.R. etc. I will also add a striped Raid 0 array to go with the two IDE drives I have for storage early next year to get a little more performance. Thanks.

Get one of those 600 or 800 series one. 640 may be a good choice if you have budget restrictions.

Thanks, I found a 630 on the egg for $171.00 That should work.

GP40X said:
Thanks, I found a 630 on the egg for $171.00 That should work.

That is definitely the way to go.

It should hit 4Ghz easily on standard air cooling. And some are hitting 4.3++ with good cooling.

the 640 would be avery good choice, and you will also be able to OC it to around the 4ghz range, well right now i am using the 640 and its great and i got it runing at 3.8gghz since its summer, ill try it make it run 4.2 in winter.

AMDude said:
Pentium D 820 dual core isn't much more money than the 630.
Unfortunately, all I have right now is XP home so dual core goodness is out for right now but at least MS is now supporting Hyperthreading (according to the MS Knowledgebase document dated May of this year) on XP Home.

GP40X(AWG)

Nasgul said:

Seriously dude, you don't want an nCrap 4 SLI-IE board, they're horrible at overclocking, at best your system will forever be running stock w/o issues maybe but once some OC start to happen, the boards become 110% unstable. As you can see the boards are not even selling but given away because nobody will buy 'em :D

My opinion will be trade that Gigabyte for a DFI nForce 4 Ultra-D and a 3200+ Venice, because nCrap 4 SLI-IE is not a good choice at all for an Intel platform.

Why I know that? I'm pretty much sick and tired of seeing threads like: THIS ONE. BTW, Fugger killed the first SLI (8x8) @ 300fsb and then killed a 2nd SLI (16x16) @ 260fsb: SEE HERE but maxes out at 230fsb, lame chipset.

Trade it for a DFI Ultra-D & 3200+ Venice. Don't make the nCrap 4 SLI-IE mistake.
To each their own. I am waiting to see how M2 pans out. If it does then I already have a good PCIe video card (maybe SLI by then) and 2 Gig of DDR2 memory to put in a M2 Athlon board. If it doesn't then I have a nice Intel system to upgrade. DDR is going the way of ISA, AGP, and the DODO bird. I need to upgrade now as my radeon 9800 pro just doesn't cut it any more and while I have been an Athlon guy for a few years I am moving on to new technology. Why buy a board that has less than two years of upgradability? The first PCIe video cards were released in June of 2004 and AGP is already dead in the high end video card market. In about a year and a half DDR is going to be in the same boat. Right now the only processor supporting DDR2 is Intel so that is how I am going as it is more futureproof down the road.

GP40X(AWG)

GP40X said:
Unfortunately, all I have right now is XP home so dual core goodness is out for right now but at least MS is now supporting Hyperthreading (according to the MS Knowledgebase document dated May of this year) on XP Home.

GP40X(AWG)

I thought XP Home allowed dual cores (800's or X2's) and even P4 EE with (4 virtual CPU's) ? And that XP Pro could work with up to 2 dual cores (say 2 opteron 270's).

That Microsoft counted 1 processor = 1 package. 1 dual core package = 1 processor to MS. (per chip)

so even down the road when Intel or AMD release a quad core its still considered one chip, single processor system.

chrisf6969 said:
I thought XP Home allowed dual cores (800's or X2's) and even P4 EE with (4 virtual CPU's) ? And that XP Pro could work with up to 2 dual cores (say 2 opteron 270's).

That Microsoft counted 1 processor = 1 package. 1 dual core package = 1 processor to MS. (per chip)

so even down the road when Intel or AMD release a quad core its still considered one chip, single processor system.
Thanks for the info Chris. All I found on the MS website was the Hyperthreading knowledgebase doc because that was all I was searching for.

GP40X(AWG)

Unless something has changed, I am quite sure that MS allows dual core CPUs under Home... because really it's only 1 CPU, with 2 cores.

Back