L.A. Noire

Where the hell have you been? This game is all over the place.

I don't watch TV and don't read gaming magazines :p

I don't like being advertised to, so yeah, it flew under my radar.

What I saw of it looked pretty damn good though.

First L.A. Noire review is UP and....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/may/13/la-noire-game-review

Ever since it first worked out how to assemble pixels so that they resembled something more recognisable than aliens, the games industry has dreamed of creating one thing above all else - a game that is indistinguishable from a film, except that you can control the lead character. With LA Noire, it just might, finally, have found the embodiment of that particular holy grail.

From start to finish, LA Noire feels like a film - LA Confidential, in fact, along with any similarly hard-boiled example of film noir adapted from stories by the likes of Chandler and Hammett. Set in a gloriously convincing depiction of Los Angeles in 1947 (which is much more attractive than today's LA), it casts you as Cole Phelps, returning war hero turned cop.

Instantly, you plunge deeply and satisfyingly into his working life, solving a vast number of cases as he becomes the LAPD's poster-boy, first in Homicide, then in Vice. And your immersion in Phelps' affairs ratchets up even further when he is hung out to dry by his dubious superiors.

There have been plenty of games with cinematic pretensions in the past, so what is it that enables LA Noire to make a transcendental leap? Inevitably, technology is involved: the new MotionScan system used to capture actors' performances simply produces more convincing facial animation than we have ever seen in a game.

Couple that with the obsessive attention to detail for which Rockstar's existing games such as Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption are famed, and the end result rings true to a greater extent than anything that has gone before. The familiar need to suspend disbelief has been all but eliminated.

Real-life gameplay

LA Noire's gameplay capitalises cleverly on this breakthrough technology. Essentially, it sees you playing through Phelps's working life, doing what you imagine a real-life LAPD detective would have done in 1947. Thus, you have to drive to crime scenes, root around for clues and examine bodies, then follow the resulting leads.

It's when you question suspects and witnesses that things get interesting. You have to analyse facial responses and bodily tics like a poker-player seeking tells, then choose one of three tones to adopt for each question. These are marked Truth, Doubt and Lying, but Sympathetic, Dubious and Accusatory would perhaps be more rigorous.

If you accuse a suspect of lying, you must back that up by producing evidence (all accessed, along with along with your records of each case and details of suspects from your standard cop's notebook). If you don't adopt the correct tone, the character you're quizzing will, at the very least, take longer to give you the crucial information you seek.

As you rise through the ranks, you earn Intuition points, which can be cashed in to eliminate one wrong question-tone (or reveal the location of all the clues at a location). Luckily, LA Noire is pretty forgiving, so if your body language-assessment skills aren't up to CSI standards, you should still get the right result in the end, although you risk a chewing-out from your boss for shoddy police work, which is genuinely mortifying.

Beautiful pacing

The game's pacing and narrative arc impress as much as its believability. The bog-standard detective work, fun though it is, is punctuated judiciously by action sequences including car chases, pursuing suspects on foot, climbing around inaccessible areas, puzzle-solving and, of course, shoot-outs.

Between cases, you either get a flashback to Phelps' war experiences in Japan or a glimpse into his off-duty life; both those elements end up feeding back into the overarching storyline. The oeuvres of Shelley and even anarchist author Piotr Kropotkin are fed into the mix. Newspapers that you find when hunting for clues trigger yet another backstory (this time involving ongoing LA skullduggery), which yet again intersects with the main storyline in the game's later stages.

A fascinating snapshot of an America struggling to readjust to everyday life in the aftermath of the second world war emerges, reinforced by the attitudes of your fellow cops (many of whom would be ejected from the Sweeney for political incorrectness, although Phelps's keen sense of morality keeps them sufficiently in check to appease modern moral arbiters seeking outrage).

Since you're at the centre of proceedings, participating in and dictating the action, the overall effect is powerfully immersive. Cleverly, Rockstar has ensured that LA Noire is a thoroughly inclusive game, too. The control system is sufficiently simplified that even the most determined non-gamers shouldn't find it intimidating.

Indeed, the more hardcore gamers may carp that it isn't sufficiently action-packed or precise. The one criticism that could be levelled at the game is that the shooting system has been over-simplified so that it feels clunky compared to thelikes of Grand Theft Auto.

Depth and meatiness

LA Noire largely does away with the free-roaming that enhanced the appeal of Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption. As you drive around, you do occasionally hear of street crimes to which you can respond, and there are hidden vehicles and LA landmarks that completists can collect and visit, but the overwhelming focus is on the main story.

So it's a good job that, bucking the modern trend for short single-player games, LA Noire is satisfyingly meaty. Rockstar reckons it's roughly equivalent in length to two seasons of a TV series, a claim that feels roughly accurate.

Perhaps, then, it would be more accurate to argue that LA Noire more closely approximates a television show than a film - it beats any film hands down in terms of the sheer amount of entertainment on offer, which of course is an advantage games have always had over films.

It has all the period charm of Boardwalk Empire or Mad Men - indeed, the role of Phelps is played by Mad Men's Aaron Staton and other digitised Mad Men actors crop up sporadically - and it seasons the gameplay with a healthy dash of CSI.

In the past, games with such overwhelming ambitions have floundered on odd, usually peripheral, aspects that jarred - such as unrealistic animation (and especially facial animation), clunky dialogue, poor virtual camerawork or facile characterisation. LA Noire is the first game to lack any such element which naggingly reminds you that you're playing a video game, rather than strolling through a film or TV series.

That's why it marks a breakthrough for games as a whole - and we can't wait to see what Rockstar does with LA Noire's technology in its other blockbuster franchises.

^^ Sounds great. Too bad Rockstar has abandoned the PC because I'd love to play this on there but that's what a PS3 is for.

The game looks great and I've already pre-ordered but I'm surprised to hear it's so linear. If the replayability and/or openness was really high then I think it might put the game on another level.

Either way, I'm sure it will be an awesome experience...

I don't watch TV and don't read gaming magazines :p

I don't like being advertised to, so yeah, it flew under my radar.

What I saw of it looked pretty damn good though.

I dont either but its on bus stops billboards and buses themselves...!!

I been following this game since the teaser trailer back in late 2006! Less than 3 days away!

Too bad the X360 version will be on 3 CDs... and I'm forced to get PS3 version, to avoid disk change hassle.

Game seems generally fun, I hope it will be as good as Red Dead or the Heavy Rain.

Too bad the X360 version will be on 3 CDs... and I'm forced to get PS3 version, to avoid disk change hassle.

Hassle really? If the game is longer than 20 hours, which it probably is, I don't see a problem. Even in Lost Odyssey the 4 discs didn't bother me in the least since the game is over 40 hours. After all it takes what 15 seconds to switch the disc. If you have some kind of disability then that's different of course.

With PSN down and the previous rockstar published game RDR being better on the 360 I don't really care if I have to swap discs.

The game supposedly has some online meta game things with it so you won't get that part of it with PSN at the moment at least.

With PSN down and the previous rockstar published game RDR being better on the 360 I don't really care if I have to swap discs.

The game supposedly has some online meta game things with it so you won't get that part of it with PSN at the moment at least.

The PS3 is the lead platform on LA Noire though. Hopefully the PS3 version will be at least equal to the XBOX one graphically and not cut down like RDR was :mad:

No PC version = No buy

I might get it for the 360 one day when it's in the bargain bin but I am choosing to not support RockStar as a developer/Publisher anymore (at least paying full price for any of their games) since they no longer support me (as a PC Gamer)

z0mg wha wha wha a company wont support a platform that doesnt make them any money, those bastards...

Cant wait for this to release, Rockstar hasnt ever really let me down.

Yeah, the pc didn't make them any more, not like they started on it or anything...

GTAIV maybe woulda sold more had it not been a piss poor port with terrible performance issues.

Saw these pics on Neogaf, I hope the difference isn't really this bad. I ordered it for PS3 for the extra case, hope these pics are just a troll (someone on neogaf said PS3 might just have contrast turned up).

http://i.imgur.com/PojJ9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KgxNp.jpg

After some more reading it does sound like a troll.

I'll keep my PS3 preorder and stop worrying. 14 hours till midnight release! Can't wait!

Last edited:
Per the commercials, there's an extra DLC item if you pre-order from Gamestop. Anyone have any info on that? If it's worth anything, I might just go down there today and take care of it. Otherwise, I really do hate that pre-buy nonsense....plus I hate going into Gamestop.

The glowing feedback is already piling up out there. I feel confident we're looking at a very good game here folks.

IGN review of L.A. Noire…

CLOSING COMMENTS
I struggle with L.A. Noire, because at times I love it, yet it has some notable flaws. As a noir fan, I find moments that really get me grinning. There are certain cases that draw me in and side characters who eat up the scene. But it never adds up -- amazing pieces that don ’t quite amount to an incredible game. At the same time, no one’s ever played a game like this before. And unless there’s a sequel, I doubt anyone will again for some time. Credit Rockstar for taking a huge risk, for succeeding in many areas, and for offering something fresh and different.

L.A. Noire may not reach the emotional heights of a game like Heavy Rain, but it ’s something everyone must try out. It reaches high and almost succeeds as a brilliant new type of video game narrative.

IGN RATINGS FOR L.A. NOIRE

8.5 Presentation
The story doesn't match the great performances. The "game" elements are sometimes distracting from the immersive environment.

8.0 Graphics
The faces are pretty damned awesome -- it's the actors, after all. L.A. in the ‘40s looks good. At times the framerate stutters and there are a few annoying graphical glitches here and there.

10 Sound
So much great voice work. The real star is the soundtrack.

8.5 Gameplay
Despite its flaws, L.A. Noire does something we've never seen before. It's too often repetitive and predicatble, but it's still enjoyable.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
Depending on how much time you devote to exploring the city, it will take anywhere from 12 to 20 hours to beat. Many won't find a reason to return.

Final Score: 8.5

Saw these pics on Neogaf, I hope the difference isn't really this bad. I ordered it for PS3 for the extra case, hope these pics are just a troll (someone on neogaf said PS3 might just have contrast turned up).

http://i.imgur.com/PojJ9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KgxNp.jpg

After some more reading it does sound like a troll.

I'll keep my PS3 preorder and stop worrying. 14 hours till midnight release! Can't wait!

We're not doing this garbage already are we? Keep this shit out of here.

Isn't an IGN 8.5 a real life 6?

I think it depends on who does the review. And you have to read the whole review. The wiki page has a few reviews up 8s and 9s. Also I can't really see the metacritic page at work, but if it's accurate looks like it's sitting at a 91 right now based on 20 reviews.

I think it depends on who does the review. And you have to read the whole review. The wiki page has a few reviews up 8s and 9s. Also I can't really see the metacritic page at work, but if it's accurate looks like it's sitting at a 91 right now based on 20 reviews.

I've been reading the metacritic reviews, and it does show a 91.

The troubling theme is that they all contain something like this--"the main formula isn't necessarily fun." Seems like a Heavy Rain situation.

The problem is, they are complaining that it isn't "gta" basically, that the elements of driving/shooting and detective work dont seem to "fit" well together.

I'm sorry, but in GTA the gunplay was TERRIBLE, GTAIV wa sa fun game, but the actaul shooting mechanics are just horrible and don't feel "right" at all.

From reading the reviews, it seems that most people praise the detective work, the dialogue/animations and actors, storyline (though they say it get slow int he middle).

It seems like for what the game is MEANT to be, a period piece set around using DETECTIVE work (IE NOT rampaging through the streets like a mad man) it's good. Just some people can't get their heads around "it's not GTA but playing as a the police."

It has free roam, but you are a policeman, you can't go around killing people popping cops in everyone sasses that you please, as well the storyline is more linear and contained (Which I like, because in GTA I'd get bored, go off on a tangent and end up never finishing them).

Can't wait to play it tomorrow.

That IGN review amounted to: gameplay repetitive, predictable, no replay value, story sucks.

And that... earns an 8.5/10

gaming journalism is a fucking joke.

cant wait for this game .. its gonna be sweeeet ... but im not really into being a cop .. since on gta all i did was shoot the cops .. lol

cant wait for this game .. its gonna be sweeeet ... but im not really into being a cop .. since on gta all i did was shoot the cops .. lol

I really doubt you are going to enjoy this game.

That IGN review amounted to: gameplay repetitive, predictable, no replay value, story sucks.

I have a hard time believing things are this bad off even if I grant that there's a lot of excessive hype here for this game like many others. I'm leery when I see this many high scores. I personally haven't given a game a "10/10" in years. I'm picky. ;)

And that... earns an 8.5/10

gaming journalism is a fucking joke.

Strange isn't it? You read that review and I expect to see a 6. Their complaints are fatal flaws. How the hell do you still come up with an 8.5/10 with serious issues like that?

Back