L.A. Noire Will Cost More on the Nintendo Switch Due to Proprietary Cards

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If you’re a Switch owner who wants L.A. Noire in physical format, be prepared to pay $10 more: the non-digital version of the game will be more expensive due to the extra cost of producing the system’s proprietary cartridges. It is unknown whether Rockstar will add anything to the physical version to make up for the price hike.

One of the big surprises about the L.A. Noire re-release announcement was that the game would be coming out for the Nintendo Switch alongside the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. However, like we've seen previously, the physical Switch version of the game will cost $10 more than it would on the other two console counterparts. That means that while L.A. Noire will cost $39.99 on the Ps4 and Xbox One, the Switch cartridge version will cost $49.99.

What I want to know is how much the HTC Vive version is. I'm really looking forward to playing this in VR!

It kind of makes sense. You need to add the price of a 20+ Gig SD card to the price of the game. If you provide your own card, you can get it cheaper.

Just like the N64 back in the day. Lot more expensive to make a plastic enclosure and storage than just a 10 cent disc.

Why is this even coming to the switch? Nobody asked for this.. Rockthesta over here.

Have a strong feeling both digital/physical would run the same cost, just cause.

Does the Switch platform allow digital only games? It seems like they are going to push more AAA games away with their physical requirement (if there is one).

Does the Switch platform allow digital only games? It seems like they are going to push more AAA games away with their physical requirement (if there is one).

with what they all are saying it isn't anything to do with the cartridge that is pushing then away. I wouldn't think they have a requirement for games do have a physical version as they have digital only games made by inde devs

Why is this even coming to the switch? Nobody asked for this.. Rockthesta over here.

I imagine Rockstar is using it as a testing ground for the Switch. Seeing how easy/hard it is to develop for and what kind of sales they get. Might effect their future support of the system. If this leads to something like GTAV coming to the Switch it could be huge for Nintendo.

Pretty sure they do, but physical copies are still important for AAA games. From what I understand, the majority of AAA sales for consoles are still physical. Specifically, Walmart and Gamestop sales make up a gigantic portion of all video game sales in the US.

Pretty sure they do, but physical copies are still important for AAA games. From what I understand, the majority of AAA sales for consoles are still physical. Specifically, Walmart and Gamestop sales make up a gigantic portion of all video game sales in the US.

That is a hard thing to say for sure as the problem is that game sales are only ever reported for physical copies as that is all that anyone can track. None of the companies release sale reports for how games sell on the digital platform so those are always guesses and speculation. Then again by majority that could be 51% are physical and 49% are digital. Still would make them the majority.

Have a strong feeling both digital/physical would run the same cost, just cause.

From the article:
"That means that while L.A. Noire will cost $39.99 on the PS4 and Xbox One, the Switch cartridge version will cost $49.99. The reason being the extra cost of producing the proprietary Switch cards. The digital versions of L.A. Noire will be the same across all three platforms." Yeah Switch does have digital versions of games, and in this case it sounds like that version will be $10 cheaper. So why pay more just to have it on cartridge? On the other hand, I'm glad we finally see an example of what we used to hear about back when digital games first started blowing up, that they should be cheaper than the retail physical versions cuz no boxes, manuals, cases, etc.

From the article:
"That means that while L.A. Noire will cost $39.99 on the PS4 and Xbox One, the Switch cartridge version will cost $49.99. The reason being the extra cost of producing the proprietary Switch cards. The digital versions of L.A. Noire will be the same across all three platforms." Yeah Switch does have digital versions of games, and in this case it sounds like that version will be $10 cheaper. So why pay more just to have it on cartridge? On the other hand, I'm glad we finally see an example of what we used to hear about back when digital games first started blowing up, that they should be cheaper than the retail physical versions cuz no boxes, manuals, cases, etc.

The reason we never saw that happen before now is that the cost of DVDs, blu-rays, cases, manuals, etc are next to nothing in comparison to the total cost of development. Especially as Steam, Sony, MS, etc all take a decent chunk of the money from each sale. There is little to no cost savings for a 3rd party when it comes to physical vs digital. They might come out a buck or two a head on a digital sale, if that. With Switch carts currently being rather pricey I suspect we will see more of this happening as time goes on.

I imagine Rockstar is using it as a testing ground for the Switch. Seeing how easy/hard it is to develop for and what kind of sales they get. Might effect their future support of the system. If this leads to something like GTAV coming to the Switch it could be huge for Nintendo.

Happen to be watching something yesterday that was talking about game sell numbers for Destiny 2 (physical copies only) and how terrible they are compared to first week sells of the first game. Down 58% but then they mentioned how in the last 3 years how much digital games have taken off and that by many reports digital games make up over 70% of game sells on consoles. So your thought about majority of AAA sales still being physical might not be as correct anymore as you think with the changes in the past few years.

Back