Kyle smells i7 in the air...

the difference in overclocking between a $150 and 300$ motherboard is usually like 15% more overclocking

That's probably true, but even so... that 15% matters to people who are really serious about overclocking their hardware.

i see that a lot of the launch boards have all these features like the eclipse's lcd screen and other fancy gadgets. are there any x58 mother boards that are simple rock solid and some what affordable?
also as i am looking at picking up the tj10 ESA edition are any of them esa compliant?

thanks in advance,

shaden79

Actually, a lot of the premium boards overclock WORSE not better becuase of the added overhead from all the additional features. You're paying more for things like SLI, Crossfire, 2 or more x16 slots, raid, more USB ports, etc etc etc. Few $300 boards will overclock better than a $150 board, most will overclock more or less the same and some will overclock worse.

Actually, a lot of the premium boards overclock WORSE not better becuase of the added overhead from all the additional features. You're paying more for things like SLI, Crossfire, 2 or more x16 slots, raid, more USB ports, etc etc etc. Few $300 boards will overclock better than a $150 board, most will overclock more or less the same and some will overclock worse.
I'm not even sure if I want to respond to this.

Ya, i'm pretty sure my 300 dollar rampage formula was a really really crappy overclocker. I totally couldnt get 4ghz out of my q6600. /sarcasm

Ya, i'm pretty sure my 300 dollar rampage formula was a really really crappy overclocker. I totally couldnt get 4ghz out of my q6600. /sarcasm

And I'm pretty sure no one said they're crappy overclockers, so no need to cry about it.

from what I've read, i7 won't be as good for gaming as current CPU's, at least not at first. If that turns out to be true, I'm staying away for a while.

While that may be true, the pressure downward pricewise (especially for quad-cores) will only increase, despite Q6600 at prices unseen since the heyday of Northwood-C.

It also won't help that the initial i7 shipments will mostly be weighted toward quad-cores.

Besides, look at the current market for quad-cores (Intel or AMD); gaming, amazingly enough, is so small a driving force in that market it's not funny any more.
Instead, the driving forces are photo-editing and multi-tasking, along with entry-level video-editing.

well the funny thing about every new cpu out there is after a year the price get dropped by a good amount. So Prob I wont get a new comp until 2010. Prob will get a new video card next year if there is a good one to replace 8800gtx that is worth it

I LOVE YOU INTEL. You always give me a Hard ON since 1992. Good job with your processors like CORE 2 DUO and I hope your I7 is as good. * HUGS from soldier who is in iraq.

Williamette was released as a 1.5Ghz, it then had a lesser version released IIRC. (Williamette was the first netburst core, right?)

I remember when that was a big deal (or a big pos). That paired up with the 850i chipset. Man those were the days...

Hey, my 850i with a P41.6 is still running strong at my mom's house. :D

RDRAM was such a flop, and the SDRAM chipset that followed in response was so lethargic :( P4 didn't even become usable until Northwood core and DDR.

Actually, if you had the money to spend on an i850/RDRAM system, performance was pretty good.
The later DDR models were actually a tad slower, they were just far more affordable than the RDRAM systems. It wasn't until the arrival of dualchannel DDR that the RDRAM systems could finally be outperformed (dualchannel was introduced long after Northwood).
See this old comparison to refresh your memory: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,21216,00.asp

Man that reminds me..I used to have RDRAM in one of my old systems...man..the old days. :D

Its the smell of your money burning on ddr3 and a $300+ motherboard.

still , I can't wait to see the benchmarks, :)

Seems many NZ/Aus re-sellers are starting to list i7 Core 920 and 940 processors and boards. We typically only see this when we are 2-3 weeks from actual hardware arriving.Take this with as many pinches of salt as required :)

Link: http://www.pricespy.com.au/pno_14068.html

3 weeks and 1 day later i get an offer to buy a new i7 system from one of our resellers - i call i7 unofficially officially in stock :) Enjoy people

Back