KWORLD ATSC 340U

xkon

[H]ard|Gawd
does anyone have any info on the kworld atsc 340u? i've looked around on google, and all i get are customer reviews. i'm looking to get a usb tuner that i'll just mount internally in my case (cable/antennae will connect through the top vent on sg03). most important thing to me is qam, even though i'm not too sure how much it will benefit me since i use comcast (might go digital cable soon). i'm supposed to get some unencrypted qam through it or something. most of the other usb dongles that support qam are twice as expensive as the kworld 340u, and i'm wondering why. 3 users on newegg bought it, and 2 have been dissapointed by the channels they can receive. i'm wondering if anyone else has taken the plunge, and bought one of these. please share your experience if you do own one, and if you can compare it to other tuners you've owned in the past.

i'm still very noobie at this htpc stuff. i've got a vague idea about how tuners work, but was seeing if anyone had a short solid explanation of difference, if any, between unencrypted qam, and clear qam?

I have the 330U, which has absolutely horrible reception on NTSC or ATSC.

that really sux. hmm... would a high powered antennae be of any help?

A better antenna might help. The one that came with it isn't very good.

ic... $10 off if bundled /w an 8800gt on newegg... so that'd be 39.99 for it. too bad i didn't get it. it's ok though. the negatives are kind of outweighing the positives at the moment. need more info!

I have the KWorld 330u and love it. It works great both with WMC on Vista and with Arcsoft Totalmedia on XP. I get great reception of all local ATSC broadcasters using the built in antenna. I haven't bothered with the NTSC so I can't comment.

If your really [H], Then you could build your own ATSC antenna.
http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9613
I made a modified version for my buddy one time. He was moving and loaned it to his neighbor who had one of those radio shack deals. He wouldn't give it back. Actually, he told my friend that he liked it. So he let him have it. Even if you don't want to make your own. Read the thread. It will make you smarter.

If you don't have a membership to lumenlabs and you don't want one. (its a free forum just like this one)
Do a google search for DIY HDTV antenna. You'll find the hack-a-day and engaget threads on the lumenlab antenna.

Back