KVM Questions

Mr_Evil

2[H]4U
Ok guys, I got two questions about KVM switches. First off, will the switch function with just a monitor connected? I have two keyboards (one with integrated pointing device) and a mouse to use with both computers at my desk. Can the monitor alone power the switch, or does it HAVE to have USB or PS/2 power?

Second question, is there any real image quality loss? My eyesight's pretty poor even with glasses so a drop in IQ is definitely bad.

newegg cat link for reference

there are different levels of kvm switches. the low end are simple data switches (the first one in the above link), as in they are a mechanical dial switch that physically makes contact with the different ports depending what position it's in. on the one hand, these are the least expensive. i have one of these and the main problem is that it has to be switched to a computer for you to turn it on or else it won't detect a keyboard/mouse. now this isn't a problem if you're there booting it, but if the power goes out, you have to reboot the machine to get the kb/mouse back.

because this kind of switch is mechanical, you do not need to have a keyboard/mouse plugged in and you could use it as just a video switch. there exist just video switches, instead of kvm, which i also have one of. the one i have causes problems though because the switch doesn't quite make complete contact with all the connections inside and the color of the image flickers. my kvm switch does not have this problem.

the higher end switches are electrical in that they have circuit boards inside them to control what happens. many have on screen menus and other whistles. i would believe and hope (though i cannot be sure) that they would send a fake kb/mouse signal to all the computers when you don't have them selected so that they will work after a power outage. these require an external power supply (that is provided) and should also work with just the monitor

in your case, it sounds like you need just a simple video switch. any of the first few items in the newegg link should be fine for you. note that some come with cables but the first one does not.

after looking at some of those items, it seems to me that some of them must require power in order to have a push button as opposed to a mechanical switch. the very first item will work without kb/mouse but you will have to buy cables (also on newegg somewhere for like $5), so that's what i would recommend

Thanks tim.

I've never bought a KVM before and some of the cheapies I've used in the past really sucked.

Back