KVM question of the day

Chugiak

Gawd
[H]orde,

I'm expecting delivery of a ATEN Masterview Pro 8 Port KVM that I recently won on eBay. I don't have any cables for it yet, and was wondering if anyone knows if the DB25 connector on the ATEN has the same pin assignments as on the Avocent, etc?

Anyone have a clue? I've been searching the intarweb for some hint of the pinouts and haven't come up with one yet. Any of you farmers use ATEN at work or play?

I would appear to be a standard KVM using standard cable types. Nothing in the specs to the contrary.

Unless of course I missed your point which is always possible ;)

The connectors on your run of the mill KVM are PS/2 connectors for keyboard and mouse and a DB15 connector for VGA video. The highend systems instead use a single connector for all three components, so the necessary cable is a DB25 on one end and the typical three-connector cluster on the other end to connect the keyboard, video, and mouse. If you look at the picture on the link above you'll see only 8 25-pin connectors on the back of the unit. My question is does anybody have pinout information for the 25-pin port? If the pinouts are non-standard then my choice of cable vendors is severely restricted.

Why do you always have the hard questions?? :rolleyes:

;)

I was looking around Google for some answers...no one seems to publish the pinouts...

My best advice would be to buy one cable and see if it works. Sorry

They're not going to go out of their way to make it difficult, are they? If you've got a monitor with a detachable video cable, you might be able to try that and see if it works. If so, you should be able to pick up just about any cables.

Ok, it’s later in the day and I’m more awake. Looks like I missed the obvious. It also looks like that KVM just might take it’s own cable set, or the one you mentioned. Not only do they not show a pin out, none of the cable companies do either.

Worse, at $32.00 (minimum) a copy that’s a sh…load..er... Ton of money in cables.

Why not just go remote software, or do what I do and run most of my folders headless. That is unless of course you’re really into multitasking in a huge anal sort of way ;)

The cables you are talking about are called all-in-one KVM cables, there are a couple of different venders for them and they are currently some on e-Bay, look under computers and networking, and there is a catagory KVM boxes and cables, sub catagory cables, pick your length, short-5and 6 foot, and long. the belkin all-in-ones are on there all the time.

Hope this helps.

BillR said:
Ok, it’s later in the day and I’m more awake. Looks like I missed the obvious. It also looks like that KVM just might take it’s own cable set, or the one you mentioned. Not only do they not show a pin out, none of the cable companies do either.

Worse, at $32.00 (minimum) a copy that’s a sh…load..er... Ton of money in cables.

Why not just go remote software, or do what I do and run most of my folders headless. That is unless of course you’re really into multitasking in a huge anal sort of way ;)
One word.....VNC

Is that really one word?
:confused:

AtomicMoose said:
Still worried more about the rack than the counting....
;)

Yeah, I bet it's hard to count beyond one when you're only a spike-antlered moose, not one of those well-endowed moosen... :eek:

Thanks for the pointers guys. I already VNC my systems, that or just SSH for lean Linux systems. I want a KVM option so that I can troubleshoot systems without having to pulll them out of my poor-boy rack and hook them up to a monitor and keyboard. The problem I am finding is that the all-in-one cable for this brand and model uses a double-secret configuration at the KVM, which lumps all the cabling into one connector, a D-subminiature 25 pin much like the old LPT ports.

This is a common trick it seems among the 'enterprise' grade KVM's, and I was aware of the cable problem when I bought the unit on eBay. I wasn't aware, and still am not, if there is an actual difference between the double secret pinouts for the ATEN cables and the double secret pinouts for the Apex/Avocent cables.

Just to make my original post a little bit clearer, here's my problem. Cables like this one will not work at all, as they have the three connectors at the KVM end. I need a cable like this one with the 25-pin connector. If the 25-pin arrangement is the same as for another brand, such as Apex, I could scrounge much cheaper cables like these on eBay.

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it. I'm guessing the great savings I enjoyed on the KVM will be swallowed up by the expensive cabling! :(

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Chugiak said:
Yeah, I bet it's hard to count beyond one when you're only a spike-antlered moose, not one of those well-endowed moosen... :eek:
Hey, who needs to count to more than one?

You should see a doctor... :confused:

Back