KRK RP8G2 + RP10S vs JBL LSR2328P +L2310SP

A13X

Limp Gawd
topic. I'm leaning towards the jbls just because i can't stand the yellow cones on the krk. but will the krks have that much more power thanks to the 225 watt sub? vs the 180watt jbl

I'l be doing a tiny amount of amateur mixing on them but primarily will use them just to listen to music and occasionally watch movies. (i mix on my macbook pro hooked up to an hdtv via an m audio axiom 61 on my lap)

and not that this matters but i use a native instruments komplete audio 6 for D/A

I live in a fraternity house so they'l be in my 18'x25' bedroom, and like I said il be mainly using them just to listen to music, but I will also be doing a little bit of mixing on them.

Neither is going to make a difference if you don't treat the room you're going to be mixing in. Nearfields also have somewhat of a sweet spot and have terrible off-axis response, the KRK have a wider off-axis than the JBL, but the JBL are going to be more flat in a properly treated room in your listening position.

You won't even need a subwoofer unless you have bass traps. Standing waves from 8" woofers in that size of room are going to cancel each other out at any mid-level volume. The KRK subwoofer is also pretty flabby below 80Hz, which is where you'd have it notched for the KRK Rokits for proper response.

Quite a few Polk bookshelf speakers are surprisingly flat, as are Infinity, PSB and Ascend. You may be better off just going with a traditional amp (Crown, Haffler) or receiver (tri-path digital, or vintage) with some bookshelf speakers and an SVS or Velodyne subwoofer. At least then you won't have to be sitting at your desk all the time to listen to music. Midfield > nearfield for non-mixing purposes.

Yea, honestly you're probably better off with a pair of Behringer monitors and a ID sub. B2031A can be used midfield or nearfield. SVS SB-12 NSD or Emotiva X-Ref 10 would easily be a better choice in a sub, too.

Do you do most of or your listening at your desk? in the nearfield position? or will these be listened to from far away most of the time

Yea, honestly you're probably better off with a pair of Behringer monitors and a ID sub. B2031A can be used midfield or nearfield.

That is a fantastic suggestion! I had forgotten about the newer Truth line-up. At moderate volumes they definitely try to trick you with a Dynaudio-style sound on a budget. OP, go with this guy's suggestion ;)

eh... on principle i will never pair a set of monitors with a sub from another brand. Just doesn't blend... If you know of any monitors in the same price range as the setups i mentioned that can go down to the mid 30s +/- 1db at 110db w/o a sub I'm all for it but don't think any exist.

Anyways i was kind of under the impression that beheringer was a pretty lame cheapo brand, and all the beheringers i've heard have reinforced that impression.

And just to clarify, that the bass extension/ power i want isn't really for mixing, it's for listening to music and monitoring deep synth bass / drums at chest rattling spls. If this was just for mixing commercial stuff i'd be looking at bright fatiguing monitors w/ no bass.

hope that makes sense...

And just to put this in perspective, i'm currently using a pair of 6" bookshelf speakers i put together with a kit from parts express paired with a 10" sealed sub and the reason i'm parting with it is because I move the speakers around a lot and I want more durable speakers with less parts and cables to schlep around.

Last edited:
eh... on principle i will never pair a set of monitors with a sub from another brand. Just doesn't blend...

That would be false. A good sub, properly crossed over with your mains, will blend without a problem, unless it's crappy. You'll also be overpaying for an underperforming sub via both JBL and KRK.

Read this review for a great music sub at a good price
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/x-ref-10

eh... on principle i will never pair a set of monitors with a sub from another brand. Just doesn't blend... If you know of any monitors in the same price range as the setups i mentioned that can go down to the mid 30s +/- 1db at 110db w/o a sub I'm all for it but don't think any exist.

No speaker is going to playback even below 43Hz accurately at 90dB, much less 110dB in that room (18x25) without some major bass trapping (at least 6 Real Traps Mondos or similar for your room size) and proper room mode positioning. If it makes you feel happy that your subwoofer can technically do 36Hz, more power to you. When standing waves collide in opposing directions, there is a phase shift that will make the bass super resonant and uncontrolled, smearing everything into one note bass no matter how accurate your subwoofer is. Then all you have left for propagating waves are the higher harmonics that are able to move through compatible nodal boundaries. Low frequency is always the hardest thing to replicate unless you design a room around it, or you move to a large field outside with a larger diaphragm speaker with more oomph (I'm fond of JL Audio Fathom f113 as the end-all, be-all subwoofer, but don't yet own one.)

LeninGHOLA is right that a low end "audiophile" subwoofer is going to perform the same or better in your situation than a prosumer subwoofer. Another two to look at is BIC H100, and HSU STF-2 for apples to apples comparison to that Emotiva.

May I ask what led you to this conclusion that the jbl and krk subs are overpriced and underperforming?

You'll get more low frequency extension, more SPL, and more accurate sound out of the ones mentioned in this thread (SVS, Rhythmik, Emotiva, Hsu). Unfortunately, while the monitors you're looking at are good, the subs lack. Anemic amps, rolloff well before 30hz, not designed for anything but nearfield listening.

I'll second a reccomendation for the Hsu STF-2 as well, I have one set up in a 2.1 music setting now.

Back