• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

KRK RP5 setup questions

FLyGuYyy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
241
Hey guys, i've been searching for anwsers on what i should do all morning, found a couple viable options, but not quite sure which direction to head in. I became really bored this morning, was tired of listening to my Logitech z640 speakers which are now a decade old lol.
I used to DJ, and just remember that i had a pair of KRK RP5's in the basement in a box. I've connected everything VIA 1/8" jack to Split RCA's. I currently have On-board audio that I am using, getting slight buzzes randomly when nothing is being played. I am a bit dissapointed in the bass the speakers produce, but then again, the logitech's are muffled with bass all of the time due to the cheap speakers, where the rokits are very crisp and clean.
Should i go with a soundcard like a x-fi HD, or just order a cheap DAC. Will the DAC / soundcard improved my sound threw my speakers? Will either eliminate the buzzing?

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated as i just not sure which way to turn because Audio was never a main concern of mine on my PC's i've built, now i want to make it right :). Thanks again!
 
Hey guys, i've been searching for anwsers on what i should do all morning, found a couple viable options, but not quite sure which direction to head in. I became really bored this morning, was tired of listening to my Logitech z640 speakers which are now a decade old lol.
I used to DJ, and just remember that i had a pair of KRK RP5's in the basement in a box. I've connected everything VIA 1/8" jack to Split RCA's. I currently have On-board audio that I am using, getting slight buzzes randomly when nothing is being played. I am a bit dissapointed in the bass the speakers produce, but then again, the logitech's are muffled with bass all of the time due to the cheap speakers, where the rokits are very crisp and clean.
Should i go with a soundcard like a x-fi HD, or just order a cheap DAC. Will the DAC / soundcard improved my sound threw my speakers? Will either eliminate the buzzing?

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated as i just not sure which way to turn because Audio was never a main concern of mine on my PC's i've built, now i want to make it right :). Thanks again!

Hmm, ive heard of some io problems with mobos where random crap will interfere with the audio output. I have my krk rp6g2s hooked up to my xfi and i got a little random buzzing when some flash diagrams were loading earlier today (i just got them). however they were REALLY hard to hear, so it doesnt bother me

I would definitely look into moving everything outboard as possible, depends on how much you want to spend though. If i were you id probably go for an outboard DAC... either a cheap one made for regular computer speakers, or maybe one with balanced XLR outputs? depends on your budget
 
Agree on moving to an outboard soundcard. Additionally, get the fuck away from the RCA jacks: they're unbalanced, and can be a significant noise source in and of themselves. Get a soundcard with balanced TSR or XLR outputs and you'll likely be much better off.

That said, the KRK's don't really have much extension below 50-60hz (the RP5's are meant to be paired with their KRK10 subwoofer), but their clarity, as you've noticed, blows any consumer-grade shit out of the water!
 
+1 on getting an external soundcard / interface

I just bought a pair of KRK RP5 G2s and a KRK 10s Sub. I have yet to hook it all up until I get the cables I need, which will be (2) 1/4" Male TRS to XLR Male cables (from the interface into the 10s), and (2) standard XLR Male to XLR Female cables (from the 10s to each monitor).

I had an E-MU 0404 USB, but sold it after I sold my Beyer DT-880s. I really liked that external soundcard / DAC / interface, so I will pick up another.
 
Back
Top