KrebsOnSecurity Hit With Record DDoS

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know a DDoS attack is massive when the engineers at Akamai say it is double the size of the largest attack they'd ever seen. The kicker? The attackers were using net connected cameras and other devices as part of the attack.

On Tuesday evening, KrebsOnSecurity.com was the target of an extremely large and unusual distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack designed to knock the site offline. The attack did not succeed thanks to the hard work of the engineers at Akamai, the company that protects my site from such digital sieges. But according to Akamai, it was nearly double the size of the largest attack they’d seen previously, and was among the biggest assaults the Internet has ever witnessed.

Krebs is always a target because he is always exposing hackers and scammers through infiltration and other means, and he's good at it.

Ironically I read the article and now his site appears to be down. I guess they are continuing to harass him.

Edit: Back up already. That was quick.

Ironically I read the article and now his site appears to be down. I guess they are continuing to harass him.

Edit: Back up already. That was quick.
It's working for me buddy. Perhaps you're under attack yourself! :eek:

It's working for me buddy. Perhaps you're under attack yourself! :eek:

Considering I'm at work, it would have to be one hell of an attack. I frequently browse his site without issues and was just getting a "this server can not be reached" error for about a minute. Everything else on my end was fine.

These days you almost need a captcha/human-test just to visit a server.

The only good thing about these massive attacks is that it's driving some router/server innovation on how to properly handle them.

wonder how many hikvision cameras were involved. if heard rumours that theres quite a few out in the wild with "iffy" firmware

wonder how many hikvision cameras were involved. if heard rumours that theres quite a few out in the wild with "iffy" firmware
Hikvision is still in violation of the GPL - they statically link a number of GPL binaries with neither mention of license nor offer of source code, nor response to requests. As a bonus, they're resold by many vendors (Swann, Lorex, Dynex, etc) and those vendors often employ locking strategies on their firmware, _plus_ don't update it. That's from a baseline default password of 12345 and http only.

Back