Krack wifi attack, which devices are vunerable

multi-tasking_guy

Limp Gawd
I'm a little confused about which devices exactly are the ones who are vulnerable
and what exactly i should do

I don't use wifi except at home, my question is, which devices are vunerable

for example, i have:

wireless router
cellphone on wifi
laptop on wifi

i noticed cisco release a firmware for my router a week after krack was found, so i believe my router is safe

but my laptop and cellphone are about 5 years old, there is no firmware going to be released for them
so even if my router is up to date but my old devices are not, does this still mean i am affected?

does this krack affect my cellphone and laptop?
or does it only affect routers, meaning as long as my router is up to date i should be ok

the reason i am asking, is sometimes i connect with my cellphone and laptop to a public place,
i use vpn but im worried about krack,

although i probably only use public wifi 2 times a year,

im pretty much want to know if my laptop and cellphone are affected

thanks

It is a protocol level vulnerability, so all wifi devices are affected. Device maker laziness with updates is going to make older android devices and IoT devices the primary source of risk.

If you always use a vpn, you are probably fine.

i was reading online, the the operating system is able to fix it

my laptop will be fine, since it's linux and receives updates often, my router receives updates still since it's not that old
just my cellphone doesn't receive updates, i might have to install LineageOs on my cellphone and ditch samsung,
i was reading online LineageOS fixes the krack exploit, hopefully that stock rom works fine,
i'll find out soon enough i guess, dont want to purchase a new cellphone, they cost up to 1000$

Back