KOTOR - overwhelmed and underwhelmed

DeadByDawn

Limp Gawd
Well i made the jump into this game after some folks at work talked it up.
I played wow for years as well as other games.

I am overwhelmed because I have no idea how to play this game in terms of light + dark.
I never know if i am making the right decision that will affect me from having cool gear or being limited in some way down the road. Should i just no worry about it?

The other problem is none of my friends playing can decide on which character they are going to keep. Sith or republic. I dont have the time to level up chars on both sides.

The graphics and the gameplay so far are underwhelming at best. I know they dont want eveyone whining about how they can get a good framerate, but cmon. I go from playing BF3 maxed and Skyrim to what feels like 10 year old graphics. The level design world so far feels very sterile, lack of detail, and sparse. I think mass effect 2 has a lot more detail. I have only been on the starting planets and have 3 chars each around level 5.

someone please convince me otherwise, but do things get better?

To be fair

It starts out kind of slow, but picks up on the story nicely. After a while gripes with combat or graphics disappear. Combat gets a little better and the story buries need for great graphics once the story's momentum picks up.

Just play how you want to play and don't TRY to be one extreme or the other. Only take a strong path if you feel drawn in. Later in the game, you'll have to make life changing choices. Those choices will have more weight and flavor if you aren't already hard bent on one side or the other.

I've got a level 26 Commando, 26 Guardian and a 30 Gun Slinger at the moment. This is due to my liking all three classes and not being able to decide on my "Main". I've played WoW like many others and eventually burnt out on it. I played for a long time and it got to the point to where it was no longer fun for me. SWTOR is a breath of fresh air for me as I'm more engrossed in the story the game is telling rather than grinding out as quick as I can to PvP or raid end game. I'm taking my time and enjoying it for what it is, MMO KOTOR 3. I'll agree that the graphics are not the best, but I'm playing it for the story and not the eye candy. I'm sure as the game matures, the IQ will improve.

As for the game, play the character the way you want to. There is no right or wrong when it comes to the light or dark side choices. I have yet to see an uber item that's dark affiliated that doesn't have a light side match. As for the more neutral players, I just read that Bioware is working on rewards for the "Gray" players. I'm not sure when it's expected as it wasn't mentioned in the article, but I imagine it should be soon.

Article if you're interested:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/11/bioware-gray-jedi-playstyle-in-swtor-will-reap-rewards/

I say stick with what you enjoy and try and get into the story, it's starting to get really good as I get close to 30 on my characters.

It starts out kind of slow, but picks up on the story nicely. After a while gripes with combat or graphics disappear. Combat gets a little better and the story buries need for great graphics once the story's momentum picks up.
Pretty much. I had to force myself to play through the first 2-3 hours, but once I got to the bottom levels on Taris, I was hooked. As for morality decisions, I always play my first playthough making the decisions that I feel like I would make if I were actually in those positions. There's no need to play power-gamer in KOTOR really. Only the last level presents a tough challenge with only a handful of tough combats scattered throughout the rest of the game.

Edit: After rereading the OP, it sounds like you are actually talking about TOR, and not KOTOR??

We shouldnt have to.convince you to play. Either you like the game or don't. Not sure how you can be underwhelmed by the graphics as personally I feel they are very well done and beautiful maxed, especially when.compared to WoW.

Lvl 5 takes all of about 30 minutes to get to, so if you have to make a post like this I'm just going to say youre not going to like the game and should move on.

SWTOR, wut?

play KOTOR, it has the same graphics and proper gameplay

I'm still on the fence about playing SWTOR.

AS far as KOTOR. Yeah it's a bit slow in the beginning, but just wait till you get a light saber and can use the force!

I know they dont want eveyone whining about how they can get a good framerate, but cmon. I go from playing BF3 maxed and Skyrim to what feels like 10 year old graphics.

Yes, that would make sense as KOTOR is a 10 year old game :p

Confusing threat title is confusing :( Either way, very high likelihood the OP is talking about ToR. :p

It could be both...maybe his coworkers recommended KOTOR, but he got confused and bought SWTOR instead :D.

Back