Koss SB40

sdgserv

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
1,034
Going to be using Skype to talk with a cam on the puter..Question
Will this work plugged into a Zero.
Any suggestion? I'm all ears.

Read most of the Reviews and it all seems to point to the Koss

Thanks
 
Zero should work with any headset that doesn't connect exclusively over USB, i.e that has an RCA mini jack for the headphones portion. The Koss headset appears to use the 2xMini config. The only thing is that wiring might be amusing depending on where your amp is, since the microphone jack obviously just goes straight to the computer.
 
Personally I'd just get a usb mic/soundcard instead. I don't think a DAC/amp setup will help what are essentially UR20's.
 
It will work, but you'll want to get something like this, or work out an alternative arrangement. The SB40 has two cables that are separable but generally can't reach very far away from each other, one RCA-mini connector for the signal to the headphones, and one for the signal from the microphone. The microphone jack needs to go to your computer, not the amp, so you probably need an extension for it (mono is fine).

Questions?
 
Oh lol. The Zero is overkill for the sb40. Well, a little overkill. Certainly, the sound will be as good as you can get with the sb40 and I would do the same thing if my budget was $200. Later, you could get a better pair of headphones but the zero/sb40 would still be very good for gaming/skype.

Get the zero, sb40 and zalman mic and you will be set.
 
if u get an extension for the mic- it HAS to be a mono extension. a stereo extension wont work because the sb40 has a mono plug mic. i know this from personal experience
 
if u get an extension for the mic- it HAS to be a mono extension. a stereo extension wont work because the sb40 has a mono plug mic. i know this from personal experience

good point dude. forgot. b/c I never use that POS mic!!! lol
 
if u get an extension for the mic- it HAS to be a mono extension. a stereo extension wont work because the sb40 has a mono plug mic. i know this from personal experience

I don't have one in front of me to check, but I thought they were set up so that it would work and the secondary channel just wouldn't make contact? I know for sure you can use a mono cable in a stereo jack, you'll just lose the right (?) channel.

But aside from that, the mono cable is cheaper. :D
 
I don't have one in front of me to check, but I thought they were set up so that it would work and the secondary channel just wouldn't make contact? I know for sure you can use a mono cable in a stereo jack, you'll just lose the right (?) channel.

But aside from that, the mono cable is cheaper. :D

you would think but mine wont work with an extension cable- it has to be plugged into the sound card!
 
OK..this what I got so far..HP's go in the Zero,, mic to the sound card, but the mic with the head set sucks so get another one with an extension. So far so good?
 
I have the Zero and the SB40 but on an X-Fi Card you lose the Mic input when you use the Flexi Jack as Digital out instead of a microphone. As long as you sound card has a separate digital out and Mic Mini plug you will be all set. Oh and I use the Zalman Mic for all voice functions the one on the SB40 cant even be classified as a MIC really because no one can hear you.
 
Back
Top