So after moving into my new place, I noticed my old Altec Lansing AHS515 headset that I'd been using for years, finally crapped out on me. The padding on one of the cans had already come off before, but was superglued back on and worked fine, but then now the right can went completely out. Time for an upgrade.
After looking around for a few days trying to find out what would work best with my budget (if you could even call it that), I decided on going with the Koss SB40 after having read the stickies and a few user testimonials here.
I ordered it from Buy.com for the $10 google checkout promo last week, and they arrived yesterday morning as I was on my way out to work. Unfortunately though when I got home and anxiously tried them out, the initial disappointment set in when everything sounded crackly and flat.
Knowing that sometimes new headphones require a little bit of burn in time to loosen up the drivers and settle in to it's true sound, I decided not to complain too much until today. I played some music all day yesterday, all night, and up until now hoping that would be enough of a burn in.
The left can sounds ok I suppose, but the right one still wants to fade in and out a little, with a lot of noticeable crackling any time a song with some bass is playing, even with the sound turned way down. Overall I'm a little disappointed with the amount of bass these have, since after reading so many other people claiming that these really hit for sub-$50, non-audiophile headphones.
What I'd like to know now, is if the weak bass is due to the fact that I'm using on board ALC655 sound, and if the crackling is just because they need to be broken in more. Or did I just manage to get a defective pair of what otherwise should be a great headset?
After looking around for a few days trying to find out what would work best with my budget (if you could even call it that), I decided on going with the Koss SB40 after having read the stickies and a few user testimonials here.
I ordered it from Buy.com for the $10 google checkout promo last week, and they arrived yesterday morning as I was on my way out to work. Unfortunately though when I got home and anxiously tried them out, the initial disappointment set in when everything sounded crackly and flat.
Knowing that sometimes new headphones require a little bit of burn in time to loosen up the drivers and settle in to it's true sound, I decided not to complain too much until today. I played some music all day yesterday, all night, and up until now hoping that would be enough of a burn in.
The left can sounds ok I suppose, but the right one still wants to fade in and out a little, with a lot of noticeable crackling any time a song with some bass is playing, even with the sound turned way down. Overall I'm a little disappointed with the amount of bass these have, since after reading so many other people claiming that these really hit for sub-$50, non-audiophile headphones.
What I'd like to know now, is if the weak bass is due to the fact that I'm using on board ALC655 sound, and if the crackling is just because they need to be broken in more. Or did I just manage to get a defective pair of what otherwise should be a great headset?