• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Koolance, TEC, or DIY

jtruax28

n00b
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
33
I am planning on building up a Vista system and want to go with watercooling of some sort. My initial plan was to go with Koolance PC4 system since I could get a case with the cooling already built into it. However, after reading the review and browsing the pics of other cooling systems ppl have posted, I began to wander if Koolance would be the best route to take.

Seems that the CoolIT Freezone outperforms the Koolance but is a bit noisy and only outperforms when you max it out. Are there any other good TEC systems I should be looking at?

Also, I've noticed that quite a few of you seem to be using 1/2" ID tubing for your setups. Is that better to use b/c you get increased flow rate?

If DIY is the way to go what brand(s) would be recommended. Seems like Danger Den has some good stuff.

**I know this is a lot, but any help and/or light on the subject would be MUCH appreciated.
 
if youre asking this question you're probably better off in the long run with Koolance....

DD is the best IMO :cool:
 
It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want a quiet system with flexibility, DIY. If you want to minimize hassle and set up, go with Koolance. If you're looking for low CPU temps or overclocking headroom, go with TEC (keep in mind it's more involved with dielectric grease and gaskets and condensation concerns and all that).

As far as tubing diameter, yes, 1/2" is less restrictive and allows higher flow rates. However, FWIW I mildly (5-10%) overclock my system using 3/8" tubing with four waterblocks and my temps are still very acceptable (~31C idle and around 39C @ load at ~50% fan speed).

Brands - I'm personally fond of Polarflo TT blocks, and Danger Den is well established as a top player. Throw in Swiftech for consideration too as they have been developing some pretty decent products recently.
 
There is HUGE debate all over the place on whether 1/2 is any better than 3/8. I think what it boils down to is just choosing the best radiator/pump/water block for your system and the differences in tubing is so marginal a dozen other factors could push your performance one way or way before the diameter of the tubing. Get high quality tubing that won't kink and maximize the design of your setup and I doubt you'd notice any difference.

DD and Swiftech are two of the best per cost from all the research I've been doing, and they both offer prices roughly similar, pretty decent actually. (And it's pretty easy to mix and match components.) Don't necessarily rush out and buy a $250 radiator or something like that though. For extreme performance they can be great, but if you're not pushing for the extreme the othewise minimal gains won't be worth the added cost.

There is no ONE system to get, it all depends on your budget, components, sound requirements, and comfort level. If you're a bit worried about messing with water youself, get an all in one. Of the entry level systems for just the CPU, Gigabyte Galaxy II or Nautilis 500 seem to be the best, or at double that cost you can get the Freezone, which should definately perform better under load, though perhaps a little bit louder. For an all in one water solution that is made of pretty good parts that you have to assemble (but at least don't have to spend hours and hours debating and researching into which parts to choose from which maker) the Swiftech H20-120 and H20-220 APEX Ultra are very nice setups. Easy to install, effective, and can easily integrate other parts for GPU's or the NB.

Just keep reading and slowly things will begin to come together for you. Just don't buy on a splurge, make sure you have a complete plan and then you can move forward with confidence.
 
if youre asking this question you're probably better off in the long run with Koolance....

I dont know AMbient... a question isnt a predicate to the ability to follow directions. XS is still accepting forum members, you'd like it over there.

At any rate .... to the OP .... here's a guy that takes some noobie pressure off in the water department... http://www.petrastechshop.com/wacoki.html
 
I love my Koolance. Very easy setup, very little maintenance, very good cooling for the money and easy of use.:)
 
same here building a new system when vista comes out I think i gonna get PC4-1036BK but does it come with the power supplier? Also I don't care about the budget is this so far the best water cooling system in the market and kick ass case?
 
Thank you all for your replies.

bullseye: All the reviews that I've seen for the Koolance 1000's say that it's good system, but I wouldn't say it's the best. Like some of the other guys said, it seems as if DIY is the best solution and then there is TEC. I myself am not brave enough yet to tackle TEC w/ condensation and such, lol, but I think as long as I do my research and take my time constructing it, a DIY system out of the question. There is a guy over on the cooling thread, Theorie, who built a nice rig and I'm thinking of using his design. I think a lot of it depends on how comfortable you are with cooling. I was wanting to cool the CPU, NB, and 2 GPU's. Does anyone have a recommended fluid to use? I've heard Fluid XP+ is good, but it looks like a lot of ppl just use distilled water and antifreeze.
 
true is silverstone cases better than the koolance have with lain li and which set up you gonan use with silverstone i heard its a great case?
 
I don't think, IMO, that either one is better than the other. Right now I'm trying to decide between making a similar system as Theorie or just stick with Koolance PC4. I've heard some ppl say that Koolance uses an aluminum radiator which doesn't cool as well as the copper ones from Danger Den. That is steering me away from the Koolance. However, I don't know what kind of temps Theorie got out of his setup so it's hard to say if the copper rad makes much difference. What do you guys think?
 
Aluminum dissipates heat quicker than copper but is not nearly as efficient at absorbing heat from your cooling fluid. The fan and all of those fins on your rad will help the copper dissipate the heat just fine. IMHO copper is the way to go with PC watercooling.
 
Aluminum dissipates heat quicker than copper but is not nearly as efficient at absorbing heat from your cooling fluid. The fan and all of those fins on your rad will help the copper dissipate the heat just fine. IMHO copper is the way to go with PC watercooling.


FALSE. Copper is better than Aluminum in every possible way... Except aluminum is lighter.
 
FALSE. Copper is better than Aluminum in every possible way... Except aluminum is lighter.

Copper is a better heatsink, but I didn't argue that; actually I agree completely. However, my statement about Aluminum is NOT false. Reference page 2 of this review: http://www.overclockers.com/articles223/

You can read the whole thing if you want, but take note of this portion:

It is true that, in general, aluminum will radiate heat better than copper...

Also, if you want to read a lively debate about whether this is myth or reality, started by our own friend Kyle (who BTW shares my view), check out this ArsTechnica forum thread

And BTW lighter isn't the only advantage. It's also MUCH cheaper.
 
Back
Top