Koolance PC4-1020BK Watercooled Case

Nice review mate... There were a lot of good points brought up which are some of the main reasons I got away from Koolance and built a custom loop.

I agree they really do need to update their waterblocks. Especially the gpu blocks as they are 1/4id and highly restrictive. Another thing I still see them using are aluminum rads... In this day and age there shouldnt be anything but copper in the loop IMO. Finally I just don't see how the price justifies the performance in these kits. For the amount you spend on the system plus the blocks you could easily build a custom loop or two maybe that would easily outperform the Koolance.
 
Excellent review.. I've got a 1036bk and I LOVE it. As you well know, its has the same cooling system as the unit you reviewed, although mine is the rev 1 of the pump which is noisy as heck. Fortunately thats been revised and I corrected the issue with mine by remounting it lower in the v2000 case. Here's a link to the system I've got. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030079613

All in all a good read.

To those who say the systems are too expensive I say this: This difference in price is what I paid Koolance to engineer and build the thing. I have more important things to do with my time then engineer a water cooling system. If you don't, by all means get a custom built setup. It will be cheaper and possibly even cool better. But, mine will be built in one tenth the time of your and performs just terrifically.
 
dekard said:
To those who say the systems are too expensive I say this: This difference in price is what I paid Koolance to engineer and build the thing. I have more important things to do with my time then engineer a water cooling system. If you don't, by all means get a custom built setup. It will be cheaper and possibly even cool better. But, mine will be built in one tenth the time of your and performs just terrifically.

I really don't think thats a valid argument... The time it takes to install a custom loop vs a Koolance system is almost identical. Think about it, you still have to mount your blocks, plan the loop, cut and route your tubing, fill/bleed, and leak test. This is about 90% of the same work involved with a custom loop. The only part that requires "engineering" as you put it would be finding a place to mount your radiator. Most people don't want to take the time to start cutting up their case anyway so they use a rad box and that may add 5min at most to your install time.

I'm glad you're happy with your Koolance, I would take one any day over something like a Thermaltake if we're talking kits. I just find it hard to justify the purchase when there are so many better components out there that are cheaper. I mean the ddc+ was a welcomed upgrade but they really got to get with the program and ditch the aluminum rads and release some quality blocks.
 
I like their systems but they are notoriously expensive. $565 dollars for a WC solution ONLY for the CPU is ridiculous.

If they worked on bringing the price down to where regular PC folk who aren’t enthusiast would think about buying it, they could have a real winner. I am talking with the CPU block the total cost being around $300 or less….

I could build a custom loop cooling everything in my system with top notch parts for about the same price, if not a tiny bit more (Including a case). But thats using the best parts I can find which isn't needed for most people.

Just what I think:) Good Review
 
The Lian Li v2000 case used in some of their models is $250, that plus the cost of the components, installed, is a good deal to me. I guess I'm crazy though. I would much prefer to have Koolance install the radiator and supply me with all the other components for a simple to use unit.

I've built out a couple of the Lian Li \ Koolance units and none of them have taken more than 2 hours. And thats from opening the boxes to booting the system. That time savings what I'm happy to pay for.
 
I wonder if that new screw helps that much with temps. im using the black screw with my conroe system. my temps are a little higher than i would like.

Robert
 
not scientific results or anything but i did throw the new screw on my 939 A64 system (see sig).
I saw a 1c drop in idle temps and a 3c drop at load. That was without re-application of AS5 or anything. I just unscrewed the old black topped screw and replaced it with the new one.
 
I am looking for an easy way to get into water cooling, I already have a nice case and would like to set it up as over cooling I have an antec tx something, but I like to get into water cooling as easy as possible. what do you guys recommend? I know people say to piece it together, would someone be kind enough to pick some parts to fit an intel E6600 that is all I want it for any suggestions would be welcome. thank you. if you guys think this is my best bet let me know and I will buy this.
 
skasol said:
I am looking for an easy way to get into water cooling, I already have a nice case and would like to set it up as over cooling I have an antec tx something, but I like to get into water cooling as easy as possible. what do you guys recommend? I know people say to piece it together, would someone be kind enough to pick some parts to fit an intel E6600 that is all I want it for any suggestions would be welcome. thank you. if you guys think this is my best bet let me know and I will buy this.

the real question is this:

is the difference in price worth the time and convenience. Thats basically what you are buying.
 
dekard said:
the real question is this:

is the difference in price worth the time and convenience. Thats basically what you are buying.

I really don't know the difference in price since I am not very good at this thing yet. I will do some more research.
 
While it does look like a big improvement in their built in cooling design many people have no use for another case.

A little over a year ago I bought the EXOS-2 stand-alone package. Now the price has dropped and has become very competitive with buying and trying to fit parts.

Best price and best service I’ve seen so far has been from:

http://www.overcool.com/Exec/product.asp?userid=99942572245087&item_id=27873

I ordered a new bracket for a different CPU and it was shipped within the hour. In fact it’s one of their big bragging points, same hour shipping up until 5 EST I believe it is. Shipping rates are also very good as well.

My EXOS-2 took about 60 minutes to install and I’ve never looked back. Opty 170 at 2.7 per side, 100% load 24/7 @ 37-39c and never a whimper. Koolance builds a sealed system so I’ve never had to change or add coolant. No build up inside the tubing or block, all still crystal clear.

Not to mention it looks so nice on top of my case ;)




 
I just recently purchased the Koolance pc3-726SL which is basically a lian li v1200 vII. I am not a newbie to water cooling. In fact, my previous WC rig was a PC60 with a custom cut off top with a swiftech dual rad, D5 pump, swiftech storm. But I remember how painful it was to cut up a lian li case (i'm not mechanically inclined like others here). I am busy now and practically have no time to customize and cut up my v1200 case. So I basically paid Koolance for the mod job. I totally agree with the points made above about switching to a copper radiator; it would make a big difference in the delta's

Is it possible to switch out the Koolance rad and switch for a swiftech 2x120mm rad in a pc3-726?
 
Is it possible to switch out the Koolance rad and switch for a swiftech 2x120mm rad in a pc3-726?

anythings possible. I'd be asking how much of an improvement you would really get though? Honestly, it sounds like you'd be throwing good money away for a very small benefit.
 
Back
Top