Koolance EXOS 2?

DFI Daishi said:
and, just to make it clear that i am not trying to knock anyone, i am not trying to say that BillR is a slouch. he is simply not the one that i was thinking of, when i was posting people who might have the resources to run the simulations and have checked the sims vs the real world.

No offence taken, but be aware, I can be a great slouch, it’s a bit of an art ;) :D

BillR said:
No offence taken, but be aware, I can be a great slouch, it’s a bit of an art ;) :D
should i be imagining of a particular simpsons episode with homer and a few teamsters? :)

DFI Daishi said:
should i be imagining of a particular simpsons episode with homer and a few teamsters? :)

Lol, no not at all, I’m mostly anti union. Think more in terms of a dark bar…and I’ll let your mind take it from there ;) :D

BillR said:
I’d still love to have some of the test gear and really learn how to use it properly though if for no other reason then to actually know the right answer, or at least have a solid basis for one

Im pretty much a seat of the pants realist myself, of course Ive always been strong on theory as well, and to tell the truth, if I dont get this right all my old forum mates from the bad old days are going to chew my butt off :p

so Im crossin my t's and dotin my i's
and generally "trying" to be [H]arder than the next guy
not an easy thing to do when the next guys are BillA, pHaestus, Joe Citarella, Cathar, ect. :p

Im stakin out a little niche if I can, a few things Ive seen that might be slightly improved on
but like they say, if I manage to do it, its only because Im standing on the shoulders of giants ;)

Pardon me for being a water cooling newb but I have a question since I am implementing the Exos 2 on my new machine.

Is the Swiftech Storm block too restrictive for an Exos 2 setup? When I tested it for leaks I seemed to have pretty string flow but I RMA's my Exos 2 because it seems that there was a leak between the outlet pump and the outlet hole causing water to spray against the top of the reservoir. This created an annoying sound similar to a water sprinkler hitting a window (just not as loud).

lol, the Storm waterblock is one of the best and non restrictive blocks out if Im not mistaken.

p0intblank said:
lol, the Storm waterblock is one of the best and non restrictive blocks out if Im not mistaken.

Cool thanks. Like I said...I r n00b. I didn't know if the jets made it more or less restrictive. I know it is the best out there...that is why I got it. I just wanted to rule it out as a cause for my unit being jacked up.

/waits for Koolance to ship new unit impatiently

maytheus said:
Pardon me for being a water cooling newb but I have a question since I am implementing the Exos 2 on my new machine.

Is the Swiftech Storm block too restrictive for an Exos 2 setup? When I tested it for leaks I seemed to have pretty string flow but I RMA's my Exos 2 because it seems that there was a leak between the outlet pump and the outlet hole causing water to spray against the top of the reservoir. This created an annoying sound similar to a water sprinkler hitting a window (just not as loud).

I think that might be normal... I had to "over-fill" my koolance res get it to stop making that slurping sound... plus is was pulling a little air into the loop... maybe yours was worse, but getting more coolant into the res sure fixed that issue for me. The pump does move the coolant around in the res to that it is "flowing" up against the top of it towards the back... that is normal.

revenant said:
I think that might be normal... I had to "over-fill" my koolance res get it to stop making that slurping sound... plus is was pulling a little air into the loop... maybe yours was worse, but getting more coolant into the res sure fixed that issue for me. The pump does move the coolant around in the res to that it is "flowing" up against the top of it towards the back... that is normal.

Exactly right. Koolance says to keep the level about a half inch from the top; I found that three eighths seems to solve the issue. Weird as is may sound it’s how they keep the one pump cool. :cool:

maytheus said:
Cool thanks. Like I said...I r n00b. I didn't know if the jets made it more or less restrictive. I know it is the best out there...that is why I got it. I just wanted to rule it out as a cause for my unit being jacked up.

/waits for Koolance to ship new unit impatiently

I’m very interested in how you make out with that block. My question has been does the Koolance actually move enough water at enough pressure to make the jets work as designed.

Keep us posted please

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully I will get my Exos back by this weekend so I can finally get my rig up and running (been running into snags for the last month with parts). I really hope I can get that noise to stop.

If you look at the third picture down in Rev's above link, focus on the bottom left of the reservoir. On mine the water seemed to be spraying from between the pump attached to the top of the res and that white block that goes to the outlet.

On mine I tried filling it up as much as I could but the spraying persisted. When I tilted the unit toward that corner and the coolant completely covered that corner the noise stopped. When I called Koolance to discuss it with them the guy was completely baffled and said after a minute it should have been completely silent. We shall see I guess.

Another question...what would be the consequences of completely filling the reservoir?

Here are some pics of what I have done so far.

I know this might be off topic here,

but if ne1 is looking for a exos2 system I have a brand new one with a hdd cooler and 2 viv card coolers,

also posted in fs section

maytheus said:
Another question...what would be the consequences of completely filling the reservoir?

Wellll.... it could create too much pressure in the loop... air compresses and allows for little deveations in mounts of evaporated water to be in the res with the coolant... if you have no where for that to go (no air), then you could create some leaks due to too much pressure... I think. I could be wrong about this tho. heh... :)

revenant said:
Wellll.... it could create too much pressure in the loop... air compresses and allows for little deveations in mounts of evaporated water to be in the res with the coolant... if you have no where for that to go (no air), then you could create some leaks due to too much pressure... I think. I could be wrong about this tho. heh... :)

If you have a closed loop like the one formed using the Exos, wouldn't the displacement always be the same once air is bled out of the system? I would think any excess air in the tubing would simply gather at the top of the reservoir and be replaced with fluid. What would cause the air to compress?

Yes - any air bubbles in the system would eventually collect in the res... you just need a little bit of air in the res for pressure relief variances. like 1/4" at the top is plenty!! 1/8 would be fine even...

maytheus said:
If you have a closed loop like the one formed using the Exos, wouldn't the displacement always be the same once air is bled out of the system? I would think any excess air in the tubing would simply gather at the top of the reservoir and be replaced with fluid. What would cause the air to compress?
water expands when heated, and does not compress under the infulence of applied pressure on the order of magnitude that we are talking about here. air compresses easily. when the loop containing water with an air pocket at the top of the res heats up and the water expands, the air compressed in response and keeps the system in equilibrium.

in a loop that is filled right to the top, when the coolant expands, it exerts a fair bit of force to expand the tubing to accomodate the added volume, which might blow a fitting somewhere in the loop.

awkwardly worded, and missing some of the details, but i think that the best description that i can come up with just now.

That is exactly right.. and well put, I think.. the air is the pressure cushion. :)

DFI Daishi said:
water expands when heated, and does not compress under the infulence of applied pressure on the order of magnitude that we are talking about here. air compresses easily. when the loop containing water with an air pocket at the top of the res heats up and the water expands, the air compressed in response and keeps the system in equilibrium.

in a loop that is filled right to the top, when the coolant expands, it exerts a fair bit of force to expand the tubing to accomodate the added volume, which might blow a fitting somewhere in the loop.

awkwardly worded, and missing some of the details, but i think that the best description that i can come up with just now.

Good point. See! Told you I am a n00b. I didn't think about the water expanding from heat. I love you guys...*sniff sniff* So Koolance is 2-daying a new unit back to me so it will be here Friday. I'll let you all know how it goes.

not only does the water expand, but so all the parts of the loop, the blocks the most, because they get the most heat, which makes the inner volume of the loop just a tad smaller also..

BillR said:
Water-cooling is indeed an interesting sport. I have been playing with this and that for quite a while and the fact is there are a lot of good kits and various bits and pieces to assemble a custom unit.

I like to keep things conservative as far a voltages and temperatures and at the same time I like good performance, so finding that balance of what will work well and yet not over tax components (I’m not into life shortening) sometimes isn’t easy, but when you find it it’s worth while.

That brings me to the Exos 2. After building many units I got lazy a few months ago and decided the heck with it, these guys are pros, how bad can it be.

Installation from start to finish took about an hour, part of that time removing extra fans from inside the case. The results are a super clean install, total simplicity of operation and great temps.

First CPU was a 3800 Venice at 2.82 gig. Ambient room temps are 23 to 24c for reference. All my machines run Folding At Home 24/7 to they never see less then 100% load 24/7. The 3800 hit a max temp of 36c which I feel is definitely in the safe zone and that was at 1.55 volts, a tad higher then I like but livable.

Then I decided to swap to a 3800 X-2 in that machine. Swap time was 5 full minutes because of the simplicity of the Koolance CPU mounting system.

3800 X-2 at 2.5 gigs per side at 1.48 volts with temps at 33c, same ambient room temps and 100% CPU load 24/7.

For a simple bolt on unit that comes with everything except an AMD bracket (6.95 extra) and an absolutely no hassle install I think it’s a good value.

As for capacity, just for S’s and G’s the unit comes with some tubing adaptors for any other things (GPU, Chipset) that you might want to cool. I tapped into that part of the system and ran a set of tubes over to a second machine and added the old style water block (1/4” fittings) so the system could cool two CPU’s. What I got was a 1c rise in temps, again, two systems being cooled and a 1c temp rise.

Keeping in mind everything IceCzar said is totally correct in my opinion it’s still a great value, and really doesn't need modded.

Yup, I like Koolance a lot.

Love this review, you have just convinced me to get The Exos 2.

how would you compare the heat temps as oppose to a custom made one? Also, on a side note, do I want black or silver?

revenant said:
not only does the water expand, but so all the parts of the loop, the blocks the most, because they get the most heat, which makes the inner volume of the loop just a tad smaller also..
not quite, no real need to get into details, but when you heat a piece of metal with a hole in it, the hole expands at the same rate that the metal is expanding.

in this case, the water expands rather a lot more than the parts of the loop do, so you still end up generating some pressure.

i'm still not able to think of a good way of explaining why it is that the water exerting pressure to compress the air results in less pressure exerted on the inner surfaces of the loop, though......i mean, i have plenty of equations that i could dig up and try to use for a proof, however i'm not QUITE that devoted to total technical accuracy. also, if it's not in plain english, i don't think that it will help most readers to understand what is going on in any real-world kind of way.

i wouldn't be able to remember half of what i do, if it didn't have some real world meaning to me, and some example that i can point to. probably why i can't remember most high-level math that i learn much past the final exam.

DFI Daishi said:
not quite, no real need to get into details, but when you heat a piece of metal with a hole in it, the hole expands at the same rate that the metal is expanding.

in this case, the water expands rather a lot more than the parts of the loop do, so you still end up generating some pressure.

i'm still not able to think of a good way of explaining why it is that the water exerting pressure to compress the air results in less pressure exerted on the inner surfaces of the loop, though......i mean, i have plenty of equations that i could dig up and try to use for a proof, however i'm not QUITE that devoted to total technical accuracy. also, if it's not in plain english, i don't think that it will help most readers to understand what is going on in any real-world kind of way.

i wouldn't be able to remember half of what i do, if it didn't have some real world meaning to me, and some example that i can point to. probably why i can't remember most high-level math that i learn much past the final exam.

This is less of a math thing then it is more of simple facts.

First, water (or most any liquid) will expand to some degree when heated.

Second NO fluid can be compressed, period. (It’s the basic principal of hydraulics working)

So, if you warm a fluid in an area with no space (think air) something has to give. Think hose, fitting etc.

ATI9700Pro said:
Love this review, you have just convinced me to get The Exos 2.

Lol, thanks. It wasn’t my intent to write a review so much as an attempt to give actual numbers for a given set of circumstances where so many other people give none.

While the Koolance many not be the best of the best what it does to is work as advertised and these days I find that damn hard to come by.

Luck with yours, feel free to PM me with any questions. ;)

BillR said:
This is less of a math thing then it is more of simple facts.

First, water (or most any liquid) will expand to some degree when heated.

Second NO fluid can be compressed, period. (It’s the basic principal of hydraulics working)

So, if you warm a fluid in an area with no space (think air) something has to give. Think hose, fitting etc.
yeah, however the air will press on both the container and the surface of the water, once it is compressed.

what i am having a challenge expressing is exactly why the force of the compressed air pushing on the system is less that the force that the water exerts when it presses against the tubing.

i know my facts, and water DOES compress, just not a whole lot. (i will be having to learn to correct for that, in some of the seismic measuring techniques that i am learning) as i said, i'm just trying to think of a good way of explaining why the air pushes less than the water does, and coming up dry.

DFI Daishi said:
yeah, however the air will press on both the container and the surface of the water, once it is compressed.

what i am having a challenge expressing is exactly why the force of the compressed air pushing on the system is less that the force that the water exerts when it presses against the tubing.

i know my facts, and water DOES compress, just not a whole lot. (i will be having to learn to correct for that, in some of the seismic measuring techniques that i am learning) as i said, i'm just trying to think of a good way of explaining why the air pushes less than the water does, and coming up dry.

While basic, this link might help

http://sci_wiz.tripod.com/Gas_Liquid_Compression.htm

DFI Daishi said:
i just read the link, however i don't think that you are quite getting what i am saying.

it's not that important to the thread as a whole, so we can continue in a new thread or via PM if you want to keep discussing this.

What the link was trying to express, and I think you were trying to express is that air provides a cushion because the molecules in air are spaced very far apart thus allowing easy compression as well as a filler for contraction.

Liquid on the other hand has very little space between molecules thus doesn’t do compression very well and as such when forced into a compressed state will tend to push things apart at the weakest link, usually a fitting as the liquid will take the path of least resistance at that point.

I thought you got your point across pretty well. As there is no thread provided here for such a discussion feel free to PM me if I missed your point, or you missed mine ;)

BillR said:
something has to give.

Untitled30.jpg

:p

of course everything is compressable if you have the right tool :p
but the I think cooling with superfluids would belong in the extreme cooling section :p

BillR said:
I’m very interested in how you make out with that block. My question has been does the Koolance actually move enough water at enough pressure to make the jets work as designed.

Keep us posted please

So my system is finally up and running. Here are the specs:

XP x64 edition
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Athlon64 4000+ (san diego core)
BFG 7800GT OC
OCZ powerstream 520 PSU
2 x WD2500SK 250gb hdds
Audigy 2 ZS Plat
2 x 1gb OCZ Plat
other stuff

Anyhow...Running the Exos 2 on fan setting 1 results in about 38c idle cpu and 39 idle gpu. Fan setting 10 takes those down to 29c CPU and about 33 for the GPU. I haven't done any load testing yet. My temps are a bit high due to my computer room being 83-85f ambient. I am running the Storm block on my cpu, MAZE4 GPU block and the DD A8N northbridge block because I have an inverted Lian-Li case.

Nice!! now OC that sandie and lettuce know how it goes!! heh... well, wait for the AS5 to set first. Those are great temps, BTW.

Damn, the Exos-2 handles the Storm block well, I think I'll go with that block instead of the MCW6000.:)

I know eh... my gears started grinding when I saw his post... mmmmm storm-block! hehe
...but I doubt I would gain much... now that my AS5 has set more my idle temps dropped another 2c... 32c now... ambient @ 30c.

Update...

I ran Burn-In Test last night for about an hour and got the following temps:

Case: 32c
CPU: 38c
GPU: 42c

Woke up this morning and checked the temps (room had cooled off to about 78f overnight):

Case: 31c
CPU: 31c
GPU: 38c

So I definitely think the Exos 2 can handle the Storm block. I am using ASCeramique btw instead of AS5.

wow - great temps!! my cards are chillin' this a.m. @ 39c... 2nd one in the loop wobbles in and out of 39 <-> 40. heh... Anyways, I am very impressed with my koolance... I heard a lot of flack about "it's not going to perform as well as ..." and I was a getting a little sceptical, but now I am glad I stuck to my "guns" and got it... such a nice compact solution and the performance is very respectable, imo. :)

I totally agree. It works great, it looks great, and it is super quiet (now that I got the replacement...which they 2nd day aired to me!). Even my wife thinks it is nice and she hates my computer addiction.

maytheus said:
Update...

I ran Burn-In Test last night for about an hour and got the following temps:

Case: 32c
CPU: 38c
GPU: 42c

Woke up this morning and checked the temps (room had cooled off to about 78f overnight):

Case: 31c
CPU: 31c
GPU: 38c

So I definitely think the Exos 2 can handle the Storm block. I am using ASCeramique btw instead of AS5.

Geeze, now I wish I hadn’t asked lol.

With the stock Exos water block on my 3800 X-2 I get about 33c with both cores at 100% load. My ambient is a fair amount below yours it seems, so I’m thinking the storm might be a good investment.

Dang it ;) :D

Wow. You guys definately motivated me with koolance. I actually bought the pc3-725bk case too just like revenant after i've seen his success.

Reasons why I bought the Koolance case:

1.) I was going to buy a v1000b anyways ($ 199 ish)
2.) A decent water cooling setup would of costed around $200 on the low.
3.) Add in a side window ($50?)
3.) I bought my Koolance case for around ($474)

I debated back and forth about this and being able to NOT have to hack into a gorgeous case did it for me.

Also I think i'm going to go with the Storm block or the Apogee. I have a DFI Ultra-D w/ opteron 170 on the way.

Off note: Aren't the rads on the Koolance aluminum? Mixing it with the copper blocks = corrosion?

BillR said:
Geeze, now I wish I hadn’t asked lol.

With the stock Exos water block on my 3800 X-2 I get about 33c with both cores at 100% load. My ambient is a fair amount below yours it seems, so I’m thinking the storm might be a good investment.

Dang it ;) :D

Yeah - I am thinking about doing the same... that or the apogee... my cpu still hits 38 at load, when the room is 71f. it gets much hotter when I pump extra volts into it and put it at 3ghz... like mid 40s... my new 7800s, on the other hand, are chillin at like 31c or so idle... that's just sick.. my 6800s would idle at 41c typically... whew... I have added a 2nd 120mm radiator to my koolance loop, between the gpus and the cpu, which works very well.. it's almost as good have having two loops and one res.. but not quite. the koolance pumps are having no issues with the extra loop volume. :)

Back