Konfabulate

Konfabulator was originally for Mac OS X but due to its popularity Apple implemented its own form of widgets in OS X thus making this program unnecessary. So they ported it over to windows. I installed it and used it for a while but I eventually got bored of it. Enjoy.

I don't recall precisely but if I remember correctly each widget becomes its own process and has its own memory usage. Obviously a weather widget is going to use alot more memory than a clock.

xphantg0d said:
if I remember correctly each widget becomes its own process and has its own memory usage.
You're correct. The Konfabulator program becomes a process, even if there are no loaded widgets. And each loaded widget becomes a process, all listed as Konfabulator.exe. The widgets don't take much memory (prolly 1-3k on average), but they'll definitely add up, as there are lots of neat ones to use. I mainly use The Weather and TVScraper.

But the widgets are really nice, as they can be displayed in several ways. You can have them "fuse" to your desktop, and be nearly transparent, so that you can't move them, or you can have them float so you can move them whenever. You can have them "always on top" should you want that. They can be really useful. The Widget Dock is nice.

Here's an example:

konfabulator.jpg

Never mind, I was talking about that launch bar, but I did some searching.

I tried it, and liked it, but I wont pay $25 for it. :eek:
Maybe if it was more like $10..........especially seeing as the widgets are created by users for free, not the Konfabulator creators.
BTW, should'nt this be in 'general software' instead of 'operating systems'?

I Love Konfabulator
I am running the Weather Widget, Mini Clock and Mini Calender.
5MB/1MB/2MB memory consumption respectivley. It doesn't put a dent in 1GB of memory I'll tell you that much. That with Object Dock is one clean looking desktop :)

how do u set them to stick to the desktop and not be moved? and also how do u set it up so they load when windows starts? i dont see those options in mine....

There are other widget programs out there. Konfabulator is just the first one. Others you can google for a Phatbits (private beta), dotWidget (public beta?), and Kapsules (public, same folks who made windowBlinds)

HelpMe said:
how do u set them to stick to the desktop and not be moved? and also how do u set it up so they load when windows starts? i dont see those options in mine....

I don't think there is an option to Stick them. But Konfabulator should launch at the start up by itself. If it's not, Start -- Program Files -- Startup. If its not in there, just put a copy/shortuct to the .exe there, and it should.

i think with more of you guys, and maybe me getting a bigger LCD, this will do wonders on those 2405s.

As for Posting it in general software, I thought this program complimented our current OS so thats why I put it here. You are welcome to follow through and get it moved since you mentioned it, otherwise comments like that do nothing if just waste space.

how do u set them to stick to the desktop and not be moved?
You right click the widget and set the "level of window". The floating setting leaves it on top of everything else - and you cannot interact with it unless you press F8. A nice thing about floating is you can set it to be partially transparent so its not "in your face". Set them to be embedded into the desktop by making it "below"
and also how do u set it up so they load when windows starts?
Whichever widgets are running on shut down will load on start up.

:rolleyes: It STILL should be cheaper.

Monkey34 said:
You right click the widget and set the "level of window". The floating setting leaves it on top of everything else - and you cannot interact with it unless you press F8. A nice thing about floating is you can set it to be partially transparent so its not "in your face". Set them to be embedded into the desktop by making it "below"

Oh yeah! Duh...totally forgot that drop down menu. My bad.

What I like about this program is you can put ANYTHING on the desktop. I paid for Stardocks programs and it seems that any additional addons, you pay for with Stardock.

Yes they make u pay for this but its shareware works pretty good with not so much in the way of hassling you.

IF anything try it out when you get bored.

Back