Kodi Is Coming Back to the Xbox as a UWP App

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is actually really fitting, considering the fact that Kodi used to be called, you know, Xbox Media Center. I can only hope that they go all the way and revert to the original name, as the new one sucks. If you’re not familiar with the program, it is a great way to organize and stream your content, although the app is capable of much more than that. While the Win32 version is working okay for me, it has crashed or frozen a bunch of times—I wonder if the UWP will turn out to be more stable.

If you've been using Microsoft's gaming consoles for long enough, then you'll remember the Xbox Media Center, also known as XBMC. Over time, XBMC was ported to other platforms, stopped being supported on Xbox, and became Kodi. While Kodi is a Win32 app for the Windows platform, it made its way to the Store by means of the Desktop App Converter, also known as Project Centennial. Of course, this limited its distribution to Windows 10 PCs. Today, at Microsoft's Windows Developer Day event for the Creators Update, the company announced that the developers of Kodi have been so pleased with the Windows Store that they will be converting it to a full UWP app. This means that it will once again be available on Xbox, or more specifically, the Xbox One.

I'm running Kodi on my laptop and it's great! Loading some alternative sources is a little cumbersome, but once installed, it runs smoothly.

What about Plex? I love plex as a media server.

This is actually really fitting, considering the fact that Kodi used to be called, you know, Xbox Media Center..

ahem, it used to be called Xbox Media Player, back in 2002 RUNTiME and D7o3g4q (both were working on thier own builds RunTime Called his XBMP and D7o3g4q called his XBplayer ) joined up with Frodo who was working on YAMP, by Xmas 2002 they released most of the source code for XBMP sometime in mid 2003 the name XboxMediaCenter/XBMC was floated around, by xmas 2003 it they the devs had very much settled on the name XBMC and beta builds were called this as "center" was a better fir for what the devs were aiming for.

Runtime eventually went off to work on some transcoding software, Frodo retired him self from xbmc and heads up media portal, D7o3g4q vanished without a word no one knows what he is doing

Same thing really. I switched to Plex years ago since it was 10x more convenient than setting up an XBMC server.

im running kodi on my media server and just hitting it as a upnp from client side in multiple locations, tablets, devices or whatever. one piece of software, no hassles, simple.

My OpenELEC/Kodi Intel NUC box runs flawlessly. Does double duty as a network SMB 'clipboard' for files. Consistent 40 MB/sec out of a $140 PC the size of two decks of cards aint bad.

Back