Kobo e-reader

dreamwriter

Limp Gawd
What is the status regarding conversion of Kindle books to Kobo? I have books in both formats, but would like to read everything on my 7.8 inch Kobo. It's great that Amazon increase the size of their the reader, but it still ain't 7.8 inches.

What's the legal staus of doing so? I don;t want to screw up my Prime Account.
I’ve never had a problem using converted files. Just make a copy of the MOBI files and use the copies to convert to EPUB.

I’ve never had a problem using converted files. Just make a copy of the MOBI files and use the copies to convert to EPUB.

You mean the Kindle files, don't you? I was under the impression that convering Kindle was a fuzzy area. If that is not a problem legally, are the comverted ePub files stucl in one font, or are the adjustable font-wise like dedicated Kobo?

Calibre can handle most any eBook format in use today, cross-converting between the formats, and even removing the DRM from Kindle MOBI and AZW3 and the newer KFX encrypted files too (you can get that info in this post at MobileRead here).

Been using Calibre for a few years now, it truly is quite an invaluable tool for eBook management operations.

Calibre can handle most any eBook format in use today, cross-converting between the formats, and even removing the DRM from Kindle MOBI and AZW3 and the newer KFX encrypted files too (you can get that info in this post at MobileRead here).

Been using Calibre for a few years now, it truly is quite an invaluable tool for eBook management operations.

When you convert the files to Kobo (EPUB?), can you adjust the fonts as with native Kobo books?

An ePub is an ePub, it doesn't really have anything embedded or strange in it (aside from pointers to tell the reader what font to use at a given point). That's the beauty of the ePub format, it's the only really truly wide open format out there but it natively doesn't support any kind of DRM attachment so that's why it's not popular with Amazon or other eBook resellers - they can't put locks on the content so they create their own proprietary offshoots of the basic eBook standards that have been around for years now. I only deal with ePub files myself; if I acquire something in some other format it goes right to Calibre for conversion and I toss the original which is useless.

And I own I Kindle Fire HD 8 (7th gen 2017 model) but I refuse to use it with MOBI/AZW3/KFX - if I buy something from Amazon I strip the DRM after the purchase 'cause I can't stand that crap and once I paid for it it's mine to do with as I damned well please, at least that's my stance on such things.

So yeah, once the file ends up as an ePub, the reader you're using - whether it's an actual hardware eReader or just an eReader app (I use Sumatra PDF on my laptop and Moon+ Reader Pro on my Android smartphone) - controls the fonts/formatting stuff after.

s the original which is useless.

So yeah, once the file ends up as an ePub, the reader you're using - whether it's an actual hardware eReader or just an eReader app (I use Sumatra PDF on my laptop and Moon+ Reader Pro on my Android smartphone) - controls the fonts/formatting stuff after.

My kobo gives me the choice of 10 or so different font styles, and pretty much unlimited scaling, line spacing choices, margin choices, etc. So have you been able to adjust an EPUB book on your kobo in this same, unrestricted manner?

Thanks for sharing your experience, by the way.

I don't own a Kobo, but I am familiar with them in the sense that I've used such devices owned by friends. What I said is still correct, the eReader (hardware or software) is what determines the fonts/formatting/etc, not the eBook file you're reading regardless of the eBook's file format.

I don't own a Kobo, but I am familiar with them in the sense that I've used such devices owned by friends. What I said is still correct, the eReader (hardware or software) is what determines the fonts/formatting/etc, not the eBook file you're reading regardless of the eBook's file format.

I get what your saying now, although an exception to this would probably be PDF files.

By the way, is the native Kobo format ePub (or ePub3)? I can;t find this answer...only that Kobo supports ePub and many other formats.

Last edited:
Back