know of a good cartoon animation prog?

sirsnits

[H]ard|Gawd
what programs do the animators use for family guy, simpsons, and many other hit cartoons.
i have been searching for the answer with no avail.... any help would be great.

They have teams of animators working around the clock to produce shows like family guy, usually it takes about a year to produce one episode. If you are looking to produce content for the web, a vector animation program such as Macromedia Flash will serve your best interests.

South Park uses Maya, I believe. Although that really seems overkill for the kind of animation that goes into that show.

ive been hand drawing and scanning in each frame for my animation, and i use photoshop to color and shade my animated characters/backgrounds.
since i dont have the cash for a good camera... i just use what i can work with... like a homade light desk and transparent paper.
i have a program that came with my drawing pad for the pc, and it does a good job for extracting my animation to a variety of different video compression types.
but it is very limited and does not help with high res video.
since computers play a bigger role in animation today, i was wondering that maybe there was a good prog out there for this particular animation without being vectorized...
"toon boom studio" is also a pretty good prog... but not quite what i was looking for.

(this post is double posted because two topics in HF suit my question)
http://www.deviantart.com/view/19659614/

Vitruvius said:
They have teams of animators working around the clock to produce shows like family guy, usually it takes about a year to produce one episode.

Did you mean to say season instead of episode?

To produce a season, it takes a bit longer than a year. They work on multiple shows simultaneously with different teams doing different parts of the show (storyboard, animation, etc.) in total each show is about a year's work.

Ask adult swim at cartoon network. They found some guy selling $5 animation software in an alley somewhere apparently and are really proud of their crappy animation skills using it.

It is true that the REAL shows, such as simpsons, family guy, etc are actually done by people drawing them out -- though I wouldn't necessarily say by pencil. It's not true that it takes a year to make one episode, thought it does take rather a long time. They usually are trying to stay at least a season ahead I think when they are doing that, but, they still aren't so far ahead that they are nearly done before it airs. I've seen things where they thought they'd run a full show and ended up having to stop short (In particular, I'm thinkign Juuni Kokki where the author just seemed to not be writing fast enough -- maybe even stopped, so they had to make do with 52 episodes rather than the original plan.) Animation isn't easy, it's actualy EASIER to do live action, until you run up the special effects budget when special effects don't cost any extra in animation since it doesn't matter to the drawers whether a scene is glowy or not. ^_^ Well, ok, it matters when you run into things where you need to use a little CG to fill in the blanks to get framerates high enough. It's mainly movies that do that, I don't think ordinary shows do that, so you probably won't find anything resembling ordinary everyday software for that sort of thing. Besides, it's to fill in the blanks between frames, not an actual animation software.

Back