Klipsch promedia 2.1

Joined
Feb 5, 2008
Messages
41
How come these speakers have been out for 8 years and they haven't changed a damn thing. Are they that good that they can't possibly improve on them anymore?
 
Speaker technology does not change often. Most of the performance benefits to be had are already implemented in modern drivers. At least you can thank Klipsch for being honest with you and not trying to scam you with some "NEW IMPROVED PLASTIC SHELL 2.4 FOR ENHANCED RESONANCE CONTROL" marketing BS.

With their recouped R&D and certification costs, they're probably making huge margins on them also. Like nVidia, if you don't have to change anything to be competitive, why bother delivering more value to your customer? :)

Then again, why did they discontinue the 5.1 ultra line? They died in 2003. Maybe the design kept failing (the ever-ominous promedia amp failure syndrome). It's possible that Internet-direct dealers and bargain bookshelf systems like Onkyo and Polk cut into their excessive margins.
 
Yes, I've had these speakers forever and they're great. As was mentioned previously, speaker technology hasn't really changed that much (at least not in the sub $200 media speaker market).
 
Even if speaker technology hasn't changed they could've at least changed the design. The price hasn't dropped much at all too being out for that long.
 
i never went the klipsch route. was a tough decision back in the day. ended up going for the altec lansing mx5021's. which have since been disconinuted and are nearly impossible to find with a quick search.

blew those speakers after 3 years, went on to the 6021's which suck unless you are sitting right infront of them, and even still, they dont produce a sound that I am particularly in love with. i miss my 5021's. if i had to do it again, id get the promedia 2.1's, regardless of the fact that the power button is on the back of the sub.
 
I take it by design you mean aesthetically.
Changing the box of the speaker to something you find more desirable would probably effect the sound negatively.
There really isn't much mainstream competition in the higher end pc audio market.
 
They need to change their tweeters to ones that don't make your ears bleed. I say this as a former owner of these pieces of crap. Also, the subwoofer may go loud for a 6.5", but it has no quality whatsoever.
 
I agree with most here they are that good, and not much you want to change for the price range. Some people do not like Klipsch as the can be very in your face sound and the use of horn tweeters, but thats the Klipsch design. I also fine that people turn there subwoofer on Klipsch setups way to high for the volume level and over drive the shit out of it.
 
I am still running my Klipsch 5.1 Ultras I bought from Best Buy 2 years ago. I think Klipsch is the closes you will ever get to Home Theatre Sound for computer speakers. I listen to my friends 5.1 Logitech and it was just too boomy. The Klipsch had super tight bass and very tight sound.
 
I am at sisters house listening to her Klip. 2.1 and thinking they sound really good.
I have had the 4.1.. and the 5.1 Ultras, both died within 6 months and said "screw it" went back to stereo. And back to happy
 
I am at sisters house listening to her Klip. 2.1 and thinking they sound really good.
I have had the 4.1.. and the 5.1 Ultras, both died within 6 months and said "screw it" went back to stereo. And back to happy

Just think... for what you paid, you could have had a pretty nice REAL speaker setup!
 
I have a 5.1 and a 4.1 Klipsch set of speakers that I have had for years, and just recently had my AMP fixed for my 5.1's because no other PC speakers have come close, and I've bought plenty of Logitech's and Altec Lansing's for my kids over the years.
 
can a budget stereo receiver like an onkyo and budget speakers like polk bookshelves sound better than the klipsch promedia 2.1 ? Would the sound quality improve if I used the toslink connection?
 
can a budget stereo receiver like an onkyo and budget speakers like polk bookshelves sound better than the klipsch promedia 2.1 ? Would the sound quality improve if I used the toslink connection?

Upgraded from a Onkyo SR500 and a pair of polk R20's to a set of 2.1 promedias. It made a world of difference. I'm afraid I wouldn't go back to the Onkyo/Polks even if someone paid me.
 
probably these people raving about the Klipsch haven't heard the Swans. I went to BB and Circuity City and listened to the Klipsch about a month ago and I thought they sounded just a little better than Logitech. To me, the klipsch sounded ok but I wouldn't even consider it. If you could, I would suggest you go to BB or CC to listen to them before jumping the ship.
 
remember, this is the PC sound market, alot of subjective reviews instore or personal can be blamed on the soundcard used (creative shit sucks)
 
Alot of it also has to do with the acoustics of the room. The klipschs sound way different (in a better way) once I got them home and set them up.

how much were your polk-onkyo system?
Receiver was a cosmetic refurb that I think I paid around $200 for. The polks costs about $150 brand new. It resides in the living room now. It sounds fine in the living room, just not as good as the klipschs in my office.

probably these people raving about the Klipsch haven't heard the Swans.

You're probably right. My problem with the Swans? No one that I know of sells them locally. So I basically have to order them online and hope that they are everything they're cracked up to be. Thats a $100 gamble I'm afraid I'm not willing to take. I bit on the klipchs because I was able to actually listen to them and A/B them with multiple other speaker sets and decide that they definately were worth the $100 to me.
 
I understand your reason but IMO the klipsch is way over rated (maybe is the internet trend?). If you want good quality and willing to take risk, try out the swans.
 
Not the stupid one with the mono woofer (note: I said woofer, NOT subwoofer) though. And if you're worried, buy them from an online place that accepts returns. Theaudioinsier has a satisfaction guarantee.
 
My Klipsch 4.1 is older than the 2.1 version and I still can't imagine replacing them. They still sound great today. Must have gone through 8 or 9 sound card upgrades since.
 
Back
Top