Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speakers $99 + FS @Best Buy

Great speakers, I kinda miss mine but bought A5s to replace them. At one point I had two sets of the ProMedias (also a set of the 4.1's back in the day) and they were awesome aside from the scratchy pots.

Even better, these don't seem to suffer from the amp problems that plagued the 5.1s.

Do they still have problems with the amps failing and the lack of being able to turn the speakers off?

Do they still have problems with the amps failing and the lack of being able to turn the speakers off?

Never heard of the amp being a problem with the 2.1s, and you've always been able to turn them off via the power switch on the subwoofer. You just can't do it from the speaker control pod.

edit: apparently I stand corrected on the power issue per tzhu07's post below. I had the previous versions.

Last edited:
Great speakers, I kinda miss mine but bought A5s to replace them. At one point I had two sets of the ProMedias (also a set of the 4.1's back in the day) and they were awesome aside from the scratchy pots.

Even better, these don't seem to suffer from the amp problems that plagued the 5.1s.

How do the ProMedia's compare to the A5's? I'm thinking of making the same move from the ProMedia's to the A5+'s. Asus Zonar DX is the source for the time being.

How do the ProMedia's compare to the A5's? I'm thinking of making the same move from the ProMedia's to the A5+'s. Asus Zonar DX is the source for the time being.

That's tough as I like both. I'm running mine off of a Xonar STX which is incredible. The horns and subwoofer of the ProMedias make for great treble and bass extension, but the A5s have a super sweet midrange. At first I missed the ample lows of the ProMedias so I paired them with a 15" Cerwin Vega sub that I already had...it was great but I reworked my man cave and no longer really have space for that monster so I'm running the A5s vanilla and they are still awesome. The bass extension isn't like the ProMedias (it's accurate for music but when you hear explosions in games you won't get thundering bass) but they have a really balanced sound. I'd say they are better for music than games, but I primarily use my Beyerdynamic DT-770s when gaming for their awesome low end and noise isolation properties. Pair the A5s with a sub and you probably won't think too much more about the ProMedias...but at the same time, at $99 the ProMedias aren't likely to disappoint anyone looking for energetic, big sound.

Mine were great while they still worked. They only lasted about a year before the sub stopped working. It would have cost more to fix them then to buy them at this price.

BTW, im extremely happy with my Logitech 623s now. I wouldn't trade them for these promedias.

That's tough as I like both. I'm running mine off of a Xonar STX which is incredible. The horns and subwoofer of the ProMedias make for great treble and bass extension, but the A5s have a super sweet midrange. At first I missed the ample lows of the ProMedias so I paired them with a 15" Cerwin Vega sub that I already had...it was great but I reworked my man cave and no longer really have space for that monster so I'm running the A5s vanilla and they are still awesome. The bass extension isn't like the ProMedias (it's accurate for music but when you hear explosions in games you won't get thundering bass) but they have a really balanced sound. I'd say they are better for music than games, but I primarily use my Beyerdynamic DT-770s when gaming for their awesome low end and noise isolation properties. Pair the A5s with a sub and you probably won't think too much more about the ProMedias...but at the same time, at $99 the ProMedias aren't likely to disappoint anyone looking for energetic, big sound.

Yeah, the ProMedia and Xonar DX combo is so good for music listening for so little cost that I'm afraid it's going to be really hard to beat without spending upwards of $1k and I'm going to be disappointed.

Dang, I just bought a pair of the Logitech Z623s last week. I guess I will pick these up as well to replace my old creative labs on my TV.

Happened to me on two different sets. Klipsch makes some good speakers, too bad they choose to make shit amps in China.

I've had my ProMedia 2.1's for probably 4 or 5 years now. I absolutely love them, and they're still working just as well as the day I bought them. I got them at $134, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set at $100. I keep thinking about replacing them, but I cant bring myself to get rid of them when they work so well.

For anyone thinking of picking these up, pair them with a decent soundcard (I've used a Xonar DX as well as an X-Fi Titanium) and you're good to go. For what it's worth, Newegg has both of those cards for around $50 refurbished, so for ~$150, you'll have a damn good setup.

Thanks OP, I was already going to purchase these for 150, but at $100, I had to get off my ass and get to best buy right away. I was even able to purchase Persona for the PSVita with the money I had saved.

Just to save someone else some trouble: Best Buy stores will not match the price of bestbuy.com since it's a "web exclusive event" (i.e. cyber monday). Maybe you'll get lucky with a CS rep if you push the matter. After trying to buy these Promedias in store myself, and failing, I just wanted to leave.

Good deal though.

with all the hoops and BS I've just read about these, I dont think its worth it to replace my Z2300s with them... I probably wouldnt notice the difference. And i like the wired remote i have with the Logitechs...

Just went down to best buy and picked these up. The first 2 people I talked to in store didn't think they would price match, I was gonna just buy them online from my phone and do the in-store pickup, would've had to wait like 15 mins. But I just brought them up to the customer service department and asked there. They had no problem doing it, the guy I talked to was like yeah, it would be such a dick around and BS to not price match it.

You could buy these and have them ship-to-store/store pickup and buy the intel 180gb ssd from the other thread plus some filler to make it over $250 and get 20 bucks back from best buy. Chase Freedom(Lol) /Discover gives you 5% back on best buy if you have those cards and are enrolled (I don't because I don't believe in credit cards but to each his own).

I'm still rocking Klipsch V.2-400's, over 10 years old now. Klipsch rocks.

Is it worth replacing my ~8 year old Logitech Z-2300 set with these speakers?

LOL, I ordered these Klipsch 2.1 speakers, went to Best Buy to pick them up and thought, damn that's a small box.

I got home to open it and WTF...
Its Energy Connoisseur CB-5: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Energy+...1218173773218&skuId=9784232&st=CB-5&cp=1&lp=1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SAEXHW...hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_isi604cod_b

FAIL.. or win?

List price is $200. Think I should just resell em, or inform Best Buy of their screwup and get the right thing? Wonder if Best Buy would give me store credit if I said they were a gift.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought these speakers for the wife over a year ago. Best. Speakers. Ever.

That's what I was thinking. I live in an apartment and this thing bumps even at the lowest bass setting.

That's what I was thinking. I live in an apartment and this thing bumps even at the lowest bass setting.

Well the Logitechs are known for being bass-heavy in general...I've never had the Z2300s but I did own the Z-680s and they were for sure bassier than the ProMedias. But that doesn't necessarily mean "better" unless you're gaming. I think the Klipsch are better for music while the Logis are more of a gamer's set. But even though each set has different characteristics I'm not sure it would be worth it to go from the Logitech to the Klipsch unless the Logis are broken or you just want something new.

Unless they're broken I wouldn't call the promedia's much of an upgrade over your Z-2300's.

I have Z-2300 speakers and they are SICKENING! Don't get rid of them...but if you do check eBay. Used Z-2300 speakers are selling for much more then what I paid for mine a couple of years ago. I nice set that still has the box will easily sell for around $200.

These speakers are legendary!

I picked up a set yesterday to replace my broken set of altec Lansing. The store didn't want to price match the site so I just said no thanks and starting walking out the door to go to Frys and the manager came over and matched the site.

Like them so far...not a huge fan that there really isn't a switch to turn them off. I did read on another forum that when idle they use about 1 watt.

I'd like to have a set but I'm trying to remember if I've ever had a set of ProMedias that didn't die on me.

i had a set die on me but i just replaced the amp on the sub and it worked fine. Its a small price to pay when it is the only constant on my computer setup in the past 10 years. I went through 3 different monitors and 3 different computer builds, but the speaker set up is still the same.

I was wondering if i could switch out the speakers on the Z-2300s they are just an RCA to the sub. Is there any replacements that could work with the connection?

EDIT: Maybe i can get a RCA to speaker wire cable.... I know those exist...

Picked these up yesterday and the employee said they use these speakers to jam music in the store before they open. Time to crank these babies up!

Picked up a set of these Monday. Thanks to the original poster. I already have a set of these that I use in my bedroom for my HTPC. Love the sound and looks of these speakers. The sub is very small but puts out some kick ass bass. I thought about getting the Logitech z623 since the were priced at $99 but I prefer the look of the klipsch more.

I remember paying something like 400 for a set of 2.1's around the year 2000. It's the system that got me hooked on the Klipsch Brand.

Had a set of 5.1's after that.

Anything klipsch is worth it!

Back