klipsch promedia 2.1 question

allende

n00b
Hi, this is my first post and the first system I have built. I have just finished building my system and I am looking to round it off with some good speakers. I really want the klipsch promedia 2.1- I have no need for 5.1 and the klipsch seem to have good reviews from everyone. Problem is, I am in the UK and can't find a supplier here, and believe me I have spent a lot of time looking! Does anyone know of a US supplier who ships to the UK? My only other option is Ebay but I am wary because if they arrive DOA it will cost a lot to RMA.

Quick second question- what soundcard would you recommend for these? I will use them for music mainly and occasional gaming. Do I even need a sound card, could the onbboard do the job to a good standard?
Thanks for your help

first off can i ask you what you budget is, because if you are using the system to listen to mp3's cd's and alike im sure i can find you a better sounding system available in the uk.

stu'

I'm looking to spend no more than £200 for both speakers and a card, maybe slightly more if i really have to. I want a good audio set up as i spend a lot of time listening to music while I work.

Depends on how good your built in sound is... I have the promedia 2.1 on my nvidia soundstorm mobo and it sounds great. Not sure who ships to UK :(

Inside_line said:
Depends on how good your built in sound is... I have the promedia 2.1 on my nvidia soundstorm mobo and it sounds great. Not sure who ships to UK :(

Soundstorm only works if you're using the digital coax output. Otherwise you're just using the AC 97 codec or whatever.

The Logitech Z-540's are also a nice pair of speakers for music, being 2.1 and all. :) But of course Klipsch has them beat, but for a much higher price tag at that.

Eric1285 said:
Soundstorm only works if you're using the digital coax output. Otherwise you're just using the AC 97 codec or whatever.

heh? I thought the soundstorm uses the AC97 codec? In all the audio software I use, I must choose nvidia MCP as the device out, or there is no sound. What makes you believe it's only through digital? :confused:

I use my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers with Soundblaster's Audigy 2 NX USB 2.0 and it sounds fantastic. Have you looked at Dell or HP's UK websites? I got the speakers and sound card from Dell.

For 2.1- go with an M-Audio 2496

audiophile24963lh.jpg

Can be had for around $100 us and will make you much happier than an audigy 2

Back