• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 modding (some advice needed)

Nazo

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 2, 2002
Messages
3,672
Ok, so I bought these back when I had more money but still a very limited budget. Since then, the limited budget has become almost no budget... All the same, I've been slowly making changes here and there (most minor) to my Promedia 2.1 set, trying to get the best out of them. (In retrospect, I bought the wrong set for my needs, but at the time I still thought it would be best for me to stick to desktop speakers.) This post is going to be quite long and detailed, so please bear with me. (Sorry, but I feel it's necessary to be thorough in just about everything I do.)

I guess I'll start by saying what I have already done (you can scroll down a bit perhaps to get to the part about where I need advice.) After a while I decided that what I had left on my warranty wasn't really worth holding out on and finally began to actually irreversibly modify things (for the record I decided this back when I still had more money, lol.) First, I started out just replacing the cables. At first I didn't hear a lot of difference, but I've replaced them again since and have much bigger cables with I guess more copper among other things and now the difference seems to be quite huge. Also, one of the speakers fell and broke the plug completely. I was going to try to put in new connectors (I was just going to go ahead and step up to a 6.3mm connection while I was at it) but didn't want to wait to order connectors since the ones I could find locally weren't really very good, so ultimately ended up just soldering the cables in directly (and using some hot glue to seal up the hole and keep the cable from wobbling around.) I originally intended just to change this later, but realized I don't really need the plug to be disconnect-able from the satellites themselves right now and currently plan to just keep it this way from now on until something should change. I would swear that I'm getting even better yet sound. (The weird thing is, while I do have personal experience that changing cables can affect sound quality, I really didn't expect very much with speakers. With headphones a subtle difference can add up to a huge one, but with speakers it shouldn't be so huge. I changed the cable just to have something longer, not to increase sound quality. I really didn't expect any change, but I really would swear it has improved.) I also added on new connectors in support of the newer cables. I'm not stepping up a LOT, but it was easier to add large sized banana plugs (which are gold plated in the theory that I'll actually keep it this way for enough years for that to even matter actually resisting the urge to change things again later, lol.)

On less of a mod side, I've mounted the satellites on the wall. Once I had them pointed right, I found the difference was incredible. They may build these things to be ABLE to be desktop speakers, but I really feel like even these desktop speakers still were ultimately designed to sit a more proper distance apart (as speakers really should be I see now.) The only down side is they seem to be fairly mono-directional -- or at least the most optimal sound is rather -- so I had to get them pointed just right. I'm using cheap third party mounts for now (I'll probably get proper ones later) so it barely works, but it works sufficiently for my needs.

Besides the satellites, naturally I've worked on the main unit. First, as others have mentioned elsewhere, the bass can be quite a bit "boomy" with this particular line. I've been trying my best to try to get it more controlled. Call me spoiled as I also own a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones that have been modded with the MarkL-mod (see Head-Fi for details, but simply put it comes down to using some dampening material to decrease distortion considerably -- the drivers themselves are already capable of amazing clarity and detail at even low ranges, so the main thing is just to clean up the distortion) so I've gotten used to a clearer sort of bass and would very much like to get this set to do better. One thing I tried out of curiosity was to add speaker padding and a small amount of stuffing to the inside and I blocked the vent using said stuffing. While I realize the original point of that design, my aim is to reduce that boominess and increase clarity even if some comes at the cost of "fun" value of the bass sound and this has seemed to help a bit. I also added a cushion type of thing beneath the subwoofer because I less want to feel low frequencies through the entire room and more as part of the sound itself and also this pointed it up a bit more. (This may be less realistic, but again, the focus there was clarity.) Of course, I couldn't do this without doing something to handle the cooling on the amp section since it already has enough troubles staying properly cooled, but with padding added it would have fried in no time. I pulled that segment entirely out and expanded on the previous idea of the cushion by getting a really cheap ottoman that was pretty much covered in padding (but mostly was cheap, lol) with a nice cushion on top. This pretty much finished the job of what I wanted there with the cushion and it got it further up, closer to an even level (though I don't want it completely ear level obviously.) I also use this a bit for storage. For example, the Allen-wrench and stands that came with the speakers are stored in there. With a bit of cutting of the side materials, I was able to screw the amp section into two sides of the frame, so this completely separated it from the subwoofer. At the time I did this I had a couple of extra Netrik 6.3mm male and female connectors and small length of a good audio cable, so I just used those to connect the sub to the amp. For now I've had to close up the hole with a section of wood I cut out of an old speaker casing (just LDF though, so that's not helping) and a lot of padding to prevent leakage and etc. Finally, i've cut a couple of small holes on each side of the ottoman, lined up across the amp section and placed in a bit of cardboard to control airflow. I rigged up a fan (using an external power supply) on one of these holes and found a nice little grill I could use as at least a small amount of a dust/foreign object filter (later I can hopefully do better.) I have it currently using a somewhat lower voltage, so it's pretty quiet, but, I'd say that the amp section really doesn't get all that hot to the touch even when I'm doing something like gaming that uses a lot of lower noises (eg explosions and such.) Just slightly warm is all.

Between all of this, I would definitely say my set has been improved a fair bit beyond the original intention Klipsch had for it (it is, after all, oriented towards a completely different sort of usage, lol.) It's a bit of a Frankenstein of cobbled together changes, but it works.


There are just a few things I'm wondering about though for further modification. My chief limitation is my limited funds though. First, I've read a suggestion of the Tang Band W3-881SJ 3" mid-range as an excellent replacement for the stock mid-ranges with improved tonality and all around sound quality. To get two of them I'd be looking at over $40 (I haven't found a better price than about $19 + S/H each so far,) so it is technically possible, but with my budget as it is right now I'm a bit hesitant and that's still pushing it just a bit. In particular, the stock mid-ranges definitely aren't bad. I haven't had any reliability issues with the mids themselves (unlike some I've read about anyway) and frankly I feel like the stock drivers are going to last me quite a while really. I do think it would be nice to improve the mids a bit though. In particular, I'd really like vocals to come out better if they could and it sounds like these would do that. Has anyone here tried this out? How much better than the stock mid-ranges are they? Are there other options I should be considering within reasonably close price ranges? I don't want anything that would tear up at relatively high volume levels, but I won't be turning them all the way up by any means either.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the subwoofer is still a bit boomy even with the switch from a vented to a closed design. One thing I've been wanting to do is to build a new casing for the subwoofer. Unfortunately, when one has a more limited budget this gets a fair bit harder. Obviously I can't just stick a bunch of 2x4s together after all... I was wondering though if more ordinary woods would be significantly worse than MDF. I don't think I can actually find a decent source for MDF, but I'm not entirely sure about normal wood yet. (The biggest problem is the size and the fact that, as a cube it has six sides.) Unfortunately, most sources for cheap wood are LDF and low quality LDF at that (most are probably worse than even what BOSE uses, lol.) Needless to say though, if I were using normal wood, it wouldn't exactly be Bubinga or something... We're talking about cheap light woods as commonly are used in building materials. So I do wonder if any of these are even good enough for audio applications? I still haven't really figured out exactly what I'm going to do to achieve what I want here. I may get lucky and find some old system at a thrift store or something even (though finding one that isn't LDF might be tough.) I'm not really sure where I can even find MDF in particular though. I'm not aware of any local places that would actually carry it. Regardless though, I wonder at its cost. Wood seems to be pretty expensive for some reason. If I had to buy online, with the weight it would have I wonder if this too might end up hurting things quite a bit. I'm also not sure if I'm going to be able to do a great job with the padding at least for now as I don't have a lot left and will have to rely a lot on salvage from the current case. I have plenty of stuffing, but the dampening padding is a bit more iffy. Does anyone have any thoughts on anything I might be able to do about the subwoofer casing given that limited budget?

BTW, I saw a video discussing that switch of the mid-range drivers and in one part they compared the Promedia 2.1 satellites with satellites from a higher model Klipsch set and other than the drivers, the only real difference was the casing had a vent. One thing I must admit I was a bit curious about is the question of what would happen if one added a vent hole like they showed to the Promedia 2.1s. However, given how things have been with the subwoofer and how I preferred the more controlled if weaker closed design I'm thinking it would probably not be an improvement from my point of view. Has anyone compared the results of those satellite casings?
 
To avoid the inevitable controversy I'm not going to comment on the cables..

For swapping out of the mid-range, I guess you can try though IMHO it's blindly shooting in the dark when you're "upgrading" drivers without first checking crossover network used. Changing the subwoofer box size without checking the specs of the driver and box size would be along the same lines. I'm all for tweaking to your content, but I believe it's much more productive when you have an understanding of what you have first before doing your changes.

I've found "acceptable" MDF at home depot; it's not high quality MDF but it's acceptable. Yes, wood is expensive. Not much you can do about that aside from shopping carefully :) You might buy some sonic barrier http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-530 to line the subwoofer. That will have the effect of "increasing" the box size without actually doing so.

In the video discussing the satellites, did they compare the crossover networks? Going from a sealed to vented is not a small design change.
 
For a good mod, I would suggest:

1. Buy new drivers.
2. Design or calculate a reasonable enclosure for these drivers.
3. Build the enclosure.
4. Install the new drivers in the new enclosure.
5. Transfer the Klipsch logo from the 2.1 to your new enclosure.
 
For a good mod, I would suggest:

1. Buy new drivers.
2. Design or calculate a reasonable enclosure for these drivers.
3. Build the enclosure.
4. Install the new drivers in the new enclosure.
5. Transfer the Klipsch logo from the 2.1 to your new enclosure.

That sticker mod is a great idea :p
 
Right now a full sized enclosure is probably not going to happen. My biggest problem lies with the sub though, so if I'm buying wood and building an enclosure, I'm starting with trying to do something with it. I'm quite tired of that "boominess." Building something for the satellites is a project that's probably going to have to be put off for a while right now.

To avoid the inevitable controversy I'm not going to comment on the cables..
Lol, well, I can actually demonstrate a pretty big difference with my headphones, but I never expected anything from the speakers. The cable change was just for length and I was more than a bit shocked when I actually heard a difference since I never thought I would with speakers. I'm not even just talking about going from stock to better either. The stock cables were dinky little things and likely added some resistance at higher levels probably. I replaced them pretty quickly just because of their length and the original replacement didn't do a lot better than the stock cable probably though I never really directly compared and can only say for certain that it was not any worse at least. Now that I'm actually mounting them on the wall, the original replacement was just too short though. Actually, perhaps that replacement also was just adding resistance or something and the only improvement I've seen is just going to something thicker. *Shrugs* I'm not going to be buying any truly expensive ultra-high copper content wires or anything (and I'm not even touching silver -- not just too expensive, but I always worry about how quickly it oxidizes.)

For swapping out of the mid-range, I guess you can try though IMHO it's blindly shooting in the dark when you're "upgrading" drivers without first checking crossover network used.
It's not really blind though. I didn't just randomly pick some 3" midrange. Quite a few people have been using that particular midrange with the Promedia 2.1s. (If I understand correctly, this particular one was used in a similar system too.) In particular, a lot of people are using this one as the stock drivers blow out or otherwise break (I'm not sure what the deal is there as I truly feel like my stock drivers are at least holding up well and should last a long time.) At least one person has claimed that they excel at the 400-8000Hz ranges, performing far better than the originals at those. If they really do produce a much better tonality in the Promedia 2.1s I must admit it would be a very nice upgrade.

Changing the subwoofer box size without checking the specs of the driver and box size would be along the same lines.
That's pretty much what I was thinking too. My intention atm is to try to match the original size really. When in doubt, I prefer to keep the changes more minimal. The main problem is the original design just wasn't really designed primarily for music listening and such, but for "fun" value when selling to a more average joe sort. They are FAR more focused on quality and control than, say, BOSE or even most other sets in their intended range, but they definitely have their limitations thanks to that target area. (The price point isn't helping either. They were quite cheap for a decent quality set.)

You might buy some sonic barrier http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-530 to line the subwoofer.
Do you mean for the original? With the original I'm more worried about how generally messy it has become now. Besides the fact that I've changed it from vented to closed, the removal of the amp section (which really needed to be done anyway as most Klipsch sets in these ranges -- and the Promedia 2.1 is no exception -- are known for overheating and components dying thanks to relying purely on the airflow from the sub for cooling and not even doing a good job of that frankly) has left the box with an uneven area (though the original design with components sticking in there probably didn't help there. Without removing it I would hove to try to figure out some sort of active cooling system and I doubt that even just adding a fan to it is sonically beneficial... That's assuming it could be done without adding a new vent hole for the cooling or something.) I don't think I can afford that material AND the wood for a new box. (Plus, would it even fit? I'd need to cover five sides completely after all and the sixth needs a little bit. I'm not quite sure if one pack is quite large enough.) I guess my primary goal here is improving on a budget rather than trying to make it perfect or anything.

EDIT: Given the priceranges I decided to go ahead and get some of the MDF at Lowes. It's big enough that I'll have plenty to spare for other projects (including perhaps building new enclosures for the satellites if it comes to that -- though I guess I'll have to figure out how to determine the appropriate measurements for them) but still not TOO expensive. Just for now I'm going to go with some basic fiberglass insulative material and later on I'll upgrade it to that Sonic Barrier though (preferably sooner rather than later obviously.) Thanks for the link on that. Hopefully I can at least get it started towards something of a better quality even if it's not exactly going to make audiophiles cry (at least, not in joy...) I'll have more than enough material to build a whole new subwoofer enclosure later even should I decide to do so. I must admit that when I wrote my initial post I believed I couldn't possibly get the material for the subwoofer for anything less than $50 with pieces that would barely be large enough to accommodate it after cutting. I didn't realize that MDF was THAT cheap. My wallet still wasn't happy when I got out of there, but, at least it wasn't empty.

EDIT2: The fiberglass insulation was too much (or the enclosure size just too small perhaps.) It muted the bass to the point of ridiculousness. There just wasn't enough airflow to get any air cushioning inside I guess. Putting some just on the back side seems to have helped a little though. I'm wondering if the material you've linked to might help in this respect? I guess I have to be careful about it absorbing too much, which apparently is easier to happen than I initially thought. (Well, it doesn't help that the enclosure is so small, but so is the actual driver. This thing really is near to the bottom of Klipsch's works, lol.) I can see that the material would be a LOT less thick for starters though. That's definitely a good sign.

I'm all for tweaking to your content, but I believe it's much more productive when you have an understanding of what you have first before doing your changes.
You mean like asking around first? Lol, there's only so much that can be done in the end, so the point is I'm trying to start somewhere with this.

In the video discussing the satellites, did they compare the crossover networks? Going from a sealed to vented is not a small design change.
No kidding. It's unlikely I'll ever actually be drilling any holes or anything, but I was curious at least. As for the comparisons, they did little more than show them really. The replacement mids have a pretty wide range though and are pretty suitable to fit within this particular network as well as a number of others I'd imagine. Actually, they're supposed to be considerably better than the stock drivers even at even some of the lower mid ranges. Their total response range is far wider than is technically necessary in this application as they are intended for more generic use really.
 
Last edited:
What cables are you talking about? Thicker 3.5mm minijack cable? Or the speaker wire? The stock speaker wire for most PC speakers is 24 gauge, which is pretty damn bad.
 
Speaker cables (though I've changed the connections too in the process -- mostly for convenience.) The stock probably was about 24 gauge. I did replace it first with a heavier gauge (I don't recall what exactly it was though. Maybe 20? It has been a while.) The newer wire is 16 gauge. Honestly, I think the original didn't even use copper (but it most certainly wasn't silver!) I forget though. I haven't seen the original in quite some time.

The interesting though though is that I didn't TRULY hear a difference until the second time I changed the wires. The first time it really seemed about the same. (Well, even then I was just trying to get something longer, so that was fine. I probably should have made them as long as the latest replacement to begin with really.) The real irony is that I actually expected to hear SOME difference the first time but didn't, then the second time I absolutely did not expect anything but heard something. Lol, I'm not sure what to make of that. If it's psychological, it's a weird sort...

EDIT: Found some Mountain Mist high density padding for dirt cheap (at least after a coupon I had) locally so I switched to it for now (well, I never expected much from that insulation, but it was basically free and meant to be temporary.) I had to cut it in half as it was too thick, but, after that it seems to have worked great. It's thin enough to leave room for the air cushion but absorbs the vibrations quite nicely. It definitely seems to have gotten the bass at least somewhat more under control. This should definitely hold me until I can get that Sonic Barrier.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top