Klipsch pro media 2.1s

Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
594
I have an older pair of Pro media 2.1s from about 5 years ago. The speakers are brilliant, loud as hell, with the clarity of an angel when driven right.

THey're awesome for both gaming and music and I love them to death.

I have had a problem with the volume nob/control unit causing mass static since not terribly long after I got them. It's gotten worse and worse overtime and occasionally sounds as if one of the speakers I have is blown, but spinning the nob a little or blowing some C0 through it generally makes it sound fine if I leave it at current level and don't just via the nob.

Anyone have any idea of a possible replacement for this thing, or a way to cut it out of the loop somehow? It's the only thing bringing these bad boys down, or keeping me from selling them and buying a more recent set of Klipsch's that don't look like big silver UFO's on my desk.

Love the speakers, just want them to have fresh life.

TIA
 
From the Klipsch forums. leaving it here in case it helps anyone.

After reading this thread i decided to check out the pod on my GMX 2.1 set up. I have worked on many electronics before so I think i can help any one looking to clean their volume and sub pots. Here is the process:

Remove the volume and sub knobs. They pull straight off. Then using needle nose pliers or a deep socket, remove the jam nut that sits under each knob. Also there is a washer under each nut, so be sure not to lose it.

On the under side of the pod, remove each of the 4 sticky little rubber feet. Under each of the rubber feet is a screw. Remove all 4 screws and remove the plasic bottom of the pod.

Now u will be looking at the under side of the circuit board that each pot is mounted directly to. Again, 4 screws hold the circuit board to the upper half of the pod. Remove the 4 screws and gently pull the circuit board from the upper half of the pod. The pots are connected to the circuit board directly, so gently pull them out with the circuit board.

With the circuit board out, you can now use your contact cleaner to clean/lube/protect both pots. I used Caig Deoxit D5 spray to clean mine. It was recommened to me by a tech a long time ago and i have had great experience with it. However, contact cleaner from Radio Shack would probably work fine too. To clean the pots look on the side of the "barrel" shaped bottom. On the volume pot u can see one hole. Using the straw attached to my spray can, i gently give a couple tiny little sprays in the hole while working the shaft around. I like to do this until i feel the shaft inside the pot turn with much greater ease than it did before i sprayed it.

On the sub pot, there is no little hole on the side of it, so i sprayed the inside of the pot where it opened to be mounted to the circuit board. You can see 3 tabs that exit the pot to mount/connect to the circuit board. Use the straw on your spray can and spray it inside the pot then work the shaft around.

If a little bit of the spray drips out of each pot , just pat it dry with a little paper towel. It won't hurt anything. After you are finished, reverse the process and put it back together. The only thing to watch is the lttle led light that sticks in the opening of the top of the pod.. I had to bend mine back ever so slightly and it popped right into place as i installed the circuit board in upper half of the pod. The process will probably take you 10-20 minutes. Just take your time. It is an easy, easy fix. Good luck!

Dave
 
You should be able to get a replacement pod from Klipsch. Did you check their online store?
 
You should be able to get a replacement pod from Klipsch. Did you check their online store?

They didn't used to but I went ahead and checked per your suggestion and it looks as if they are offering replacement parts on their web page now.

Klipsch is an awesome company, I've never been happier with a pair of speakers.
 
Back
Top