Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 vs. Swan M505

PolygonGTC

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I've had the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s for a long time now. Well, the sub finally kicked the bucket and the volume control crackles quite a bit. I ended up getting a hold a set of Swan M505s which are still sitting in my storage room new in the box. So, I can repair the Klipsch or I can just write them off and use the Swans. If I fix the Klipsch I'll sell the Swans which I can get a fair amount for, more than I figure it would cost for me to fix the Klipsch or just buy a new set.

I love how the Klipsch sound and I've never heard the Swans. So, which sounds better? Yes, I know I could just hook the Swans up and find out, but if I do sell them I want to sell them as new. Can't do that if I open them to try them out.

So, which path would you take?

The Swans are a very decent, entry level audiophile system. The klipsch are not in the same neighborhood sonically. The Swans will have much more detail and sound realistic and natural compared to the klipsch. I don't think you want to repair the klipsch as they are often found for $25-50 on craigslist for a reason. If you sold the Swans and bought something else, you would be hard pressed to get a better 2.1 for what you sell yours for....So bust open that box I say.

Last edited:
Yeah, I decided shortly after posting this that fixing them was a dumb idea since you can get new ones for about $40 more than it would cost to fix the old ones, and I'd venture to say they're about 10 years old. They had a good run. Time to sell them for parts.

Thanks for the info! I'm really glad I got the Swans for such a great deal. I'm going to crack that box open and hook them up. And I do love the fact that the satellites are made using wood instead of plastic. Can't wait to hear those suckers! :)

the M50W's all day over the klipsch

but have you consider studio monitors / or t-amp (or class d TPA3116) + bookshelf speakers and sub if needed. or if you have some room vintage stereo receiver or amp + bookshelf speakers?

but imho the m50w will kick the living heck out of those klipsch all day everyday.

Just ordered M50ws 2 days ago. Got no space/enthusiasm/usage of AMP+passive speakers so went with M50ws after reading good reviews. Hope I like them. My expectations are high since I use the audio technica M50s on E10 all the time :p
the M50W's all day over the klipsch

but have you consider studio monitors / or t-amp (or class d TPA3116) + bookshelf speakers and sub if needed. or if you have some room vintage stereo receiver or amp + bookshelf speakers?

but imho the m50w will kick the living heck out of those klipsch all day everyday.

Last edited:
Where are you guys buying your Swans at? I can't seem to find any place selling them.

Can you turn the subwoofer volume all the way down on the swans if needed? I live in an apartment...

Yes sir. It does and totally shuts down low frequencies but if you don't want to use the sub you should really consider Swans M200mkiii.

Can you turn the subwoofer volume all the way down on the swans if needed? I live in an apartment...

Yes sir. It does and totally shuts down low frequencies but if you don't want to use the sub you should really consider Swans M200mkiii.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the M200mkiii, but I don't think I'm willing to spend that much. Plus, I would still like to use the subwoofer at certain times and more in the future when I'm no longer living in an apartment.

I've been wanting to replace my Klipsch 2.1's that broke a while back but this is now on my wish list instead of the Klipsch set. Never heard about these before.

I'm glad I clicked this thread.

Never heard of these people but the m10 in white is so pretty. Preordering now.

I gave that Swan M50W set to my sister for Christmas. She has it set up with her laptop workstation at home. It sounds really good for a fairly compact computer speaker system. The volume control is pretty cool, too.

Someone here theorized that they're the same as the Audio Insider store. And the reviews for them at least are not positive.

Have you ordered from here?

Kinda sketchy, no in house payments accepted, not even paypal.

They are legit, I have a pair of Chane A1rx-c. If something is wrong with your order they aren't pleasant, but you get your item in the end. Think of them as an ASUS of speakers - They sell awesome stuff, but good luck if it breaks.

Have you ordered from here?

Kinda sketchy, no in house payments accepted, not even paypal.

Someone here theorized that they're the same as the Audio Insider store. And the reviews for them at least are not positive.

Chane Music Cinema is The Audio Insider and Chase Home Cinema merged. I haven't ordered from them but I would if they had something I wanted. I almost ordered a pair of the Arx bookshelves but I wanted to keep my speakers the same brand. The owners Jon Lane and Craigsub are well known, and post often enough at Home Theater Shack and AVSforum.

I ordered off hiviusa with PayPal so I can dispute if necessary and for what appears to be free shipping. Chane dudes wanted 28.xx for fedex ground, 96.xx for fedex 2 day.

What a load of shit.

Klipsch 2.1 owner here (still working). If the sub ever goes is it possible to purchase another sub and an amp and just connect the satellites to them?

Klipsch 2.1 owner here (still working). If the sub ever goes is it possible to purchase another sub and an amp and just connect the satellites to them?

At that point I'd probably get a pair of bookshelves.

I dunno, it seems like a pretty good stop gap to me (especially if you like what you've got, or want to repurpose it). Then again, I don't know a lot about home audio so... *shrug*

Just a question for people who do have the swans, one of the things I like(d) about my klipsch speakers was the headphone jack on the side of the pod. Does the swan system have anything like this?

If you're still considering the Swan M50W, Massdrop has them for a pretty decent price.

$250 (could go as low as $210 if enough people join the drop)

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/swan-m...ersonalization Promo 20150130&mode=guest_open

$250? Might as well just buy the JBL LSR305s for $50 more at MSRP price or even less during discounts which destroys almost anything in that price range. The thing about Swans speakers are that they go from complete steals in China to just meh after all the markups by the time they get imported to the States.

BTW I have the old Promedias and the Swan M10. The Promedias sound good...when upgraded from shitty multimedia speakers. The M10s which I got for like USD80 however is in a completely different league.

Yep, after getting the 305', I'll be damned if I ever go back to cheap PC speakers again.

Only cheap PC speakers? Sound accuracy wise the LSRs make stuff like SP2500s and Audioengines look like overpriced ripoffs. The only real thing that holds them back from an everyone's recommendation is the sheer size of the cabinet.

Only cheap PC speakers? Sound accuracy wise the LSRs make stuff like SP2500s and Audioengines look like overpriced ripoffs. The only real thing that holds them back from an everyone's recommendation is the sheer size of the cabinet.

Although science tells me that should be the case, I haven't heard them, so I don't know.

I know this is about the Swan M505 but you might consider the klipsch.

I bought the M10's from hivi about 2 weeks ago, tonight when reaching for the power switch i touched the external screw above it and proceeded to have the living shit shocked out of me. This is extremely dangerous, and to top it off, my 130 dollar speakers are broken as well.

I've emailed their customer service demanding a refund.

That's good to know. I've been considering upgrading my pathetic 2.0 Logitech speakers. Those JBLs look nice. Anyone own them and can comment on the bass side of gaming or movies?

That's good to know. I've been considering upgrading my pathetic 2.0 Logitech speakers. Those JBLs look nice. Anyone own them and can comment on the bass side of gaming or movies?

From the desk, they make movies/games sound very detailed. The imaging is so good on the speakers, I can tell which direction sounds originate (games with better sound design help in this regard, too). The bass is also very controlled on these, so if you're a fan of exaggerated bass; you may be disappointed. Personally, I prefer the superior clarity.

I've been consistently enthralled with them since I bought them mid-last year.

Back