• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Klipsch 300 vs 500

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,295
How significant are the differences listed below?

Also, any better alternatives under $500?
Some people told me to get the Energy set instead.

Thoughts?

---


..Josh.: Hello, welcome to the Crutchfield online advisor group. My name is Josh. How can I help you today?

JJ: Can you tell me the differences between Klipsch HD 500 and 300? I saw one goes 4hz lower on the sub, and maybe 2" bigger.. is that it?

..Josh.: You do get deeper bass from the sub, and it has a has a dual-woofer center channel for better separation, and it uses aluminum-dome tweeters for brighter highs.
 
There is no reason to even consider the HD300 with the HD500 having the same price; as the advisor you contacted said, simply put, the HD500 uses better drivers, a superior center channel configuration, and includes a better sub.

Now, I am far from an expert at this price range, but I would also consider 5.1 systems from Energy (which you have already mentioned) and KEF. I have heard both of these in person, and for the price, they both sounded very nice.

KEF KHT1005.2 @ $450

Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System @ $400

If looks matter to you, the KEF system is likely the best looking of the bunch, and although I have not heard the Klipsch HD500 system in person, the Energy system is definitely one of the best deals for the money, so that would have my vote.

Another option to consider is to put together a 5.1 system yourself from separates.

Insignia NS-B2111 bookshelves are very good speakers for their under $90 a pair price tag at BB. (You can find lower pricing elsewhere from time to time as well.) You could, if you wanted to, buy three pairs and leave one as a spare/6.1 (or use one pair for a combined center) and then purchase a sub with the remaining budget.
 
Really, with the same 5.1 receiver I was going to buy.. :(

I think I'm going to be sick now :(

Sorry, the combo deal is no longer available.
 
That sucks, you only missed it by a couple hours too :(

Keep checking though! These pop up speakers + receiver all the time. Slickdeals.net to keep updated.
 
You'll want the better sub and center channel that comes with the HD500. Most small speakers can't go very low and a powerful subwoofer can kind of mask this. The center channel also does most of the work so you will want the better one.

If you want the Energy speakers you can also cross shop the RC-Micros. Crutchfield has them for $400 which is about the same as the Take Classic.
 
Back
Top