• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

klipsch 2.1 anygood?

Is this for pc or for general purpose? If it's pc, I'd go for a pair of Energy Take Sat's and a small stereo amp (should run you around $55-60 for the amp and $40-60 for each speaker) and then hook up a sub separately later if you need it. The benefit of this design would be that you'd get a lot higher quality satellites, which could later be used in a surround system versus active speakers which you basically can't use in a surround setup. You'd also get much better midrange and vocals since the Klipsch are just nice computer speakers, but still suffer from all the problems inherent to cheap plastic speakers with tiny drivers. Energy Sats are pretty much the only small speakers that don't cost $200+ (though their MSRP is $200 per speaker) and still put out good sound.
 
well its for music and mostly gaming...and like I said my budget is no more than 100.
 
If you can stretch it, I would go for something better like I was saying. The Klipsch sound good as far as computer speakers go, but their amps have a tendency of blowing so they aren't so reliable.

You can also check out Swan m10's or Swan d1080's. There's also Boston Acoustics mm226 if you can find them cheap. They used to be something like $50-60 for the mist version on amazon but I'm not sure what prices they are going for right now.

Honestly, you're unlikely to find speakers in the sub-$100 range that are anything other than disposable. You could check ebay though if you really want to find something cheap, but even then it would be a little tough to find a pair of Active monitors that cheap. I'd say if you want anything halfways reasonable for a 2.0 setup expect to pay $120-230 or so. If you want 2.1 just add a sub later.

I just don't want to see you doing what happens way too often:

Person buys "higher end" cheap speakers
Cheap speakers break in 6 months to a couple years
Person buys a replacement pair of similar
Rinse and repeat for 10 years.
Eventually they decide to buy real speakers with good construction that both sound good and won't break down - approximately $500-1000 later when they could've spent less overall and still had working speakers that sounded better.
 
Last edited:
I like those!! I have a cheap receiver around the house that I could use but its huge and bulky. I would prob would like a new one. Which would you use?
 
Depending on how much juice you want (40W or 75W per channel):

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTA2-2x40W-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0013CDZDI/ref=pd_cp_e_1
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2x75W-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B001P2R1RW/ref=pd_cp_e_1

A lot of people recommend the Dayton from partexpress but I think these Pyle mini-amps are the new price/performance kings since the Dayton is only 15W max. Just make sure you buy from amazon and not a 3rd party vendor so you can get it replaced easily if you get a dud (there's always some percentage for any product). I saw one guy on the 75W model had some issue with radio interference. Mine don't have that problem, but figured it's worth mentioning. I use the amp for my second set of speakers.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for helping me out.

I'm doing a bit of reading...and I was wondering if I get a sub later could i hook it up to that amp?
 
possibly, but I wouldn't go that route. Do it through your sound card. That's what I do. All sound cards are different (I have Asus Xonar DX) but generally you either want a decent soundcard or a full receiver to be doing any kind of surround (more than 2 speaker) processing.
 
I have a friend who loves his Klipsch 2.1 system. It's his favorite system ever.

He has a fairly successful industrial band and a well-recieved downtempo/chillout side project. He handles all the production for both bands.

He prefers his Klipsch 2.1 system over his uber expensive studio monitors for general listening.

Speakers are very subjective though.
 
I feel like I'm not taking full of advatage of my sound card.

Getting a 5.1 over 2.1 make any diffrence?
 
Depends what you like to do. For movies and games especially, you'll notice a difference with 5.1/7.1 etc... provided you have speakers spaced properly. For music it doesn't really matter.

Personally, I'd go for quality 2.0/2.1 over some cheap pc speakers because something will break with them and then you'll be shopping for a whole new set of speakers.
 
Thanks for helping me out.

I'm doing a bit of reading...and I was wondering if I get a sub later could i hook it up to that amp?
You can also hook up a sub to the pyle amp by using the line-level inputs.

But as seemlessthunder mentioned you may want to connect the sub directly to your soundcard first, and only try the line-level inputs if you can't get it working right.

You can pick up the smaller Pyle amp at Buy.com for about $5 less, and it may not be worth it to you but the Sony store has those speakers refurbished for about $10 less with free shipping.

5.1 on a shoe-string budget? Save up first and build your system up slowly, but if that's the case then you may want to start with a 5.1 receiver and add to it over time.
 
sup,
I'm looking for a new speaker setup but I dont I want a huge 5.1 setup. So are the Klipsch pro media's 2.1 a good set?? I found it for $99 and its right in my budget. Also, will it take advantage of my sound card?

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-overview/

Having tried many diffrent systems the best seems to be two 6.5in book shelf speakers and a t-amp. On of my favorites is a AV123 and a sonic T-amp. They are just insanly good for the money. Av123 have some good bstock items that are just open box items.



Theyre are tons of versons of the T-amps on ebay or this somewhat overpriced verson from a reputable seller.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380


Go listen to the kliptch if you yourself they are in best buy etc. I love the sound of some kliptch but these particular ones are not to my taste. They had a verson with a volume control speaker that sounded incredable. It was sold as a iPod speaker system but there are many uses.

It seems that the more popular a speaker is for computer games the more it will suck for music. Shrill on top and loose and boomy on the bottom. It is your ears that count though.
 
T-Amp is way overpriced and is only 15W/channel. For any real use you want an amp that won't struggle and shut down at normal levels.
 
The only special thing about the T-amp is it's use of a Tripath amplifier chip. Any decently designed amp with a Tripath chip will sound as good or better. The chip in the T-amp is a low end Tripath chip.

If you want the Tripath sound on the cheap search ebay for "Tripath amplifier." There are a lot Tripath amps other than the T-amp.

If you have basic soldering skills you can buy a Tripath amp kit from http://www.41hz.com/shop/category.asp?catid=13

They sell Tripath all the way up to 300W per channel. Talk about kicking the T-amps ass.
 
Back
Top